Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Simon Lappin signs for Cardiff City "

Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:42 pm

:ayatollah:

LAPPIN SIGNS PERMANENT CITY DEAL
18 month contract.

SIMON Lappin has signed a permanent deal at Cardiff City today.

The 30-year-old from Glasgow, released by Norwich City, was on loan with Cardiff at the end of last year and made two appearances for the Bluebirds.

This looks certain to be the final signing for City before the end of this transfer window.

Lappin, who has signed an 18-month deal, is seen as cover for left-back Andrew Taylor, although he can also play on the right.

CCFC OFFICIAL REPORT.

29th January 2013

When I heard Cardiff wanted me back on a permanent deal, it was an easy decision to return."
Simon Lappin

Cardiff City can confirm that former Norwich defender Simon Lappin has signed for the Club on a permanent basis.

Full-back Simon initially linked up with City on a loan deal back in November, returning to his parent club on January 1st following the completion of that spell.

But after leaving Carrow Road by mutual consent earlier this month, the defender re-established his Cardiff connection on a permanent contract that will keep him with the Championship leaders until the summer of 2014. He will retain the number 24 short he wore whilst on loan at Cardiff City Stadium.

Speaking exclusively to Cardiff City Player on Tuesday afternoon, Simon said: “I’m absolutely delighted to be signing for Cardiff City on a permanent deal and pleased that we’ve now finalised everything.

“I’m looking forward to the rest of the season now and hopefully we can continue the good form we’ve been showing the past couple of months.

“I thoroughly enjoyed my loan spell here with a great squad of lads. The manager, staff and everyone at the Club have been fantastic with me and when I heard they wanted me back here on a permanent deal it was an easy decision to return.

“January has been a bit disrupted with the F.A. Cup fixtures splitting the Championship calendar. But we’re all chomping at the bit now to face Leeds at their place on Saturday afternoon where we’ll have to be on top of our game once again to get the result.

“We’ve got a lot of challenges coming up and we need to be ready every time we step out there now to achieve what we want to.”

Re: " Simon Lappin signs for Cardiff City "

Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:37 pm

Good signing, good cover at LB and experienced in a title run in for promotion.

Cue the "OMG WE NEED BETTER THAN HIM! WHERE IS PHILLIP LAHM, GOD THIS CLUB IS SHIT! LETS US DOWN ALL THE TIME!" :(

Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:38 pm

Stunned We have given Lappin an 18 month contract :shock: but thats just my opinion.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:41 pm

Another Lee Naylor ?

Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:42 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Stunned We have given Lappin an 18 month contract :shock: but thats just my opinion.

Absolutely agree. If he's not good enough for Norwich in the Premiership, he won't be good enough for us. (Assuming we go up that is. :lol: )

Perhaps Malky is making contingency plans in case we don't get promoted!

Anyway, forget all that. Welcome Simon - you're a bluebird now and will get our full support.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:58 pm

Would have preferred Declan to be cover for Taylor. 18 month? 6months would have been more than enough.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:58 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Stunned We have given Lappin an 18 month contract :shock: but thats just my opinion.

me too end of the season yeah not 18 months :o thanks for the sticky ;)

Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:02 pm

he done well at brum but that's beside the point we have to have a moan about something don't we if we don't sign a player thats wrong when we do sign a player that is obviously only going a squad member thats wrong

Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:49 pm

The contract length is a bit OTT. :shock:

I do feel he can do a job when called one mind.

I think next season if we're in the Prem he will be loaned back down a division.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:10 pm

He is on a free and had other clubs interested so I'd have even surprised if he signed a 6 month contract with anyone. He has to look after himself financially.

Just because he has signed for 18months it doesn't mean he will be here that long.
I think the other options at LB are limited. I doubt many available on a free.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:17 pm

18months is about right. Cant expect him to move his life down here for 6 months to then be told to move your life elsewhere.

Norwich fans dont seem to have to many bad things to say about him. As long as he doesnt let us down when he plays then that should be good enough in what we expect from a backup player

Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:18 pm

A free transfer from a premier league club (after release anyway) the Norwich fans had a real soft spot for the lad 'the king of Spain' as they call him, if he's onside with their fans he can't be all that bad, and he's only cover after all, lets hope we don't find ourselves in the situation were we need him!

Welcome to Cardiff Simon Lappin

Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:24 pm

give the guy a chance ffs :malky:

Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:31 pm

andy2colours wrote:give the guy a chance ffs :malky:

Well said.

It's hardly a four year £40k a week deal.

Maybe we should place a bit more trust in the guy that has led to us to a ten point lead at the top of the table.

If it goes pear shaped then by all means have a go in May but already the attitude towards Lappin stinks and I fear he is going to be the new scapegoat without having done anything wrong.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:34 pm

Even though i dont really rat the guy at the top level hes decent at championship .
Heres a few key points about this signing

Ithink he will become our first choice left back as i dont see much between him and taylor .
He will be on relatively low wages compared to others
Hes a experianced player at prem level and he hasnt cost us a penny
He can bed straight into the squad as he knows them allready
He knows our style of play and our players know his
With a 18 month contract he will feel a proper part of the squad and will want to fight harder for a place
If we go up we could probably sell him with a year left on his contract for about 150/200k since hes only 29
That price would get our money back on him so technically makes him a free player for 6 months
It frees up money for malkey to go get a prem quality full back in the summer instead of getting ripped off now

Theres probably a few more aswell but i think its a smart signing to be fair

Welcome back simon :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:38 pm

Spot on - sometimes we don't think past the next pint!!

He's a fighter and one of us - get behind the boy.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:38 pm

2blue2handle wrote:He is on a free and had other clubs interested so I'd have even surprised if he signed a 6 month contract with anyone. He has to look after himself financially.

Just because he has signed for 18months it doesn't mean he will be here that long.
I think the other options at LB are limited. I doubt many available on a free.

Agree and when we go up and if we shift him on, we can even ask for a sneaky fee :)

Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:48 pm

Perhaps malky thinks he will get better under his management and worth a punt..

Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:53 pm

The Norwich lads I work with could not understand why Lappin stopped getting game time, he is regarded as a class act and when match fit is a real gutsy defender who can play on both sides of the park. It appeared to be a case of new manager/injury face doesnt fit goodbye.
A lot of moaning in the office that Norwich kicked out of the cup by non leaguers Luton could give a top defender away to the championship leaders for free!

Lets give him at least a welcome back and a chance to prove himself. Malky is no mug boys!

Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:54 pm

welcome to cardiff :ayatollah: :malky:

Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:55 pm

The Norwich lads I work with could not understand why Lappin stopped getting game time, he is regarded as a class act and when match fit is a real gutsy defender who can play on both sides of the park. It appeared to be a case of new manager/injury face doesnt fit goodbye.
A lot of moaning in the office that Norwich kicked out of the cup by non leaguers Luton could give a top defender away to the championship leaders for free!

Lets give him at least a welcome back and a chance to prove himself. Malky is no mug boys!

Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:48 pm

How can you judge him after a couple of games? He hardly had any game time at Norwich the last few seasons he was hardly going to hit the ground running give the lad a break. Malky sees enough in him so that's good enough for me. :thumbup:

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:06 pm

Why stunned? Your not going to get anyone of his calibre, on a free transfer and expect to give the player anything less than an 18 month contract. Think about the player and his family, who will have to up sticks from Norwich to Cardiff. They need some sort of security. Wise signing :malky:

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:26 pm

Welcome to Cardiff City, Simon :ayatollah:

Only seen him play for us once, at Brum, and he had a good game IMHO.

Some people on here would not be happy if we signed a younger Roberto Carlos. Or perhaps we should have signed Ashley Cole.

Like others have said, give the bloke a chance.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:02 pm

I would have thought we could have kept Deklen , he was better than Lappin and he scored a few goals for us.
He was a true pro, and really hard worker, always played and give 100% in a game.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:47 pm

I'm not exactly exicted by this signing but its easy to see why he brought him.

Malky likes his work ethic and he is someone who fits great with the group due to previous experience.

We need cover and he will be warming the bench ready if Taylor gets injured.

He was on a free and not huge wages.

Not much on offer.

I'd rather have Lappin than some CB stepping in for a fullback resorting to a midfielder playing fullback.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:48 pm

Sorry, but that's a shocking signing.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:55 pm

Just because hes not a "name" people dont "rate him" shocking, turned into football snobs have you?

Should have gone out and spent £££££ and then listen to you lot moan about the debt!

Get a grip.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:35 pm

Welcome to Cardiff City Simon he's a Bluebird now so let's all get behind him and when needed give the lad a chance and our full support :old: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:10 pm

andy2colours wrote:give the guy a chance ffs :malky:

Thats the trouble on this board :roll: