Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

If We do go up.... What players would you keep ?

Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:20 pm

The Players i think are Prem quality and could play at that level for city are :

Marshell
Hudson
Turner
Whits
Gunnarsson
Bellamy
Campbell
Noone (on his day)

could be more by end of the season is some players step it up a little :) .

What players would you lot keep ?

Re: If We do go up.... What players would you keep ?

Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:44 pm

rhyswales wrote:The Players i think are Prem quality and could play at that level for city are :

Marshell
Hudson
Turner
Whits
Gunnarsson
Bellamy
Campbell
Noone (on his day)

could be more by end of the season is some players step it up a little :) .

What players would you lot keep ?

definitely Kimbo and Maynard.
also Smith, Connolly and Mutch?

Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:47 pm

Marshall
turner
noone
bellers

that's it really, the rest are shit, can't even bring campbell into the mix yet, no-ones seen him play, look what happened to the last campbell we had and im not talking about kevin :lol: :malky:

Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:47 pm

The standard of this seasons premership is very average, IF we go up I think we could more than hold our own with a only a few signings (e.g. Left back, right back and a target man). we shouldn't disrupt the squad with a complete overhall as we now have a strong spine to the team and with the right signings I think we would have no trouble stepping up to the next level :malky:

Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:10 pm

Some of the youngsters would be first on the list players like mason, ralls, nugent and declan john.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:15 pm

Marshall
Kev
Taylor
Turner
Hudson
Connelly
kim
Noone
Smith
Whitts
Mutch
Gunnersson
Bellamy
Campbell
Mason
Maynard

Maybes are Conway and Helguson

Out are Cowie, earnie, mcphail, gestede and Lewis

obviously the youngsters arent included in this.

this leaves us with a squad of 15 (or 17 with the maybes) so would need a good 6 players or so.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:20 pm

Feeling Blue wrote:The standard of this seasons premership is very average, IF we go up I think we could more than hold our own with a only a few signings (e.g. Left back, right back and a target man). we shouldn't disrupt the squad with a complete overhall as we now have a strong spine to the team and with the right signings I think we would have no trouble stepping up to the next level :malky:

This ,the last thing we want to do is buy a completely new team, just add a few quality signings

Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:25 pm

Almost all of them.

1. We can't afford to go and buy a new team.

2. Buying a new team will not keep you up ( see QPR)

Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:54 pm

Not Including youngsters and not based on any favourites, purely my opinion on whether they are good enough for Prem

Definitely
Marshall
Connolly
Kim
Gunnarsson
Bellamy
Smith
Campbell
Maynard

Probably
Parrish
Whitts
Hudson
Noone
Helgusson
Conway
Cowie

Don't Know
Lewis
Turner
Taylor
Velikonja
Kiss

No Chance
Rudy
Mc Phail
McNaughton
Earnshaw

Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:05 pm

all of them! if we go up you cant just expect a new starting 11 baffled brains.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:07 pm

All of them. Our side is built on a foundation of team work and passion, not a bunch of individuals like QPR. Names don't wing you games unless they're something special like Ronaldo or Messi and I don't see them parking up outside the CCS anytime soon.

8-)

Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:12 pm

Bluebird For Life wrote:Not Including youngsters and not based on any favourites, purely my opinion on whether they are good enough for Prem

Definitely
Marshall
Connolly
Kim
Gunnarsson
Bellamy
Smith
Campbell
Maynard

Probably
Parrish
Whitts
Hudson
Noone
Helgusson
Conway
Cowie

Don't Know
Lewis
Turner
Taylor
Velikonja
Kiss

No Chance
Rudy
Mc Phail
McNaughton
Earnshaw

after all whitts as done for us you say you'd probz keep him for the premier league. you f*cking worm!

Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:12 pm

On bench and in starting 11
Marshall
Bellamy
Hudson
Turner
Whitts
Kimbo
Mason
Maynard
Campbell
Smith
Gunnar
Noone
Mutch
Conway (possibly)

Youngsters
John
Ralls
Healey?
Nugent
Jesse Darko (watched him in a few games, real quality)

Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:14 pm

Marshall

Connolly
Turner
Hudson

Whittingham
Gunnarsson
Kimbo
Mutch

Campbell
Maynard
Noone
Smith

Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:24 pm

bluearmy1990 wrote:
Bluebird For Life wrote:Not Including youngsters and not based on any favourites, purely my opinion on whether they are good enough for Prem

Definitely
Marshall
Connolly
Kim
Gunnarsson
Bellamy
Smith
Campbell
Maynard

Probably
Parrish
Whitts
Hudson
Noone
Helgusson
Conway
Cowie

Don't Know
Lewis
Turner
Taylor
Velikonja
Kiss

No Chance
Rudy
Mc Phail
McNaughton
Earnshaw

after all whitts as done for us you say you'd probz keep him for the premier league. you f*cking worm!

Thats a very nice turn of phrase - I won't lower myself to call you names. If you read what I said, you would, perhaps, see that it was not based on any thoughts other than ability and sorry for having an opinion, but I am not sure Whitts is consistent enough for the top level. Likewise Hudson - great defender in this divison but he would struggle against the pacy strikers in the prem. For your information I think Whitts is a top bloke and on his day a great player at this level, but its not about what he has done for us is it, as the thread is about opinions on who you think is good enough for the prem from our current squad.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:59 pm

GK - Marshall plus a new signing
DR - McNaughton plus a new signing
DL - Taylor plus a new signing
DC - Hudson, Turner, Connolly plus a new signing
MR - Noone, Smith
ML - Conway, Kimbo
MC - Whitts, Gunnarson, Mutch, Cowie plus a new signing
AC - Bellamy, Campbell, Maynard, Mason plus a new signing or two

With all the new signings being vastly superior first team players compared to what we currently have.

We also have some youngsters

Still think our weakest area is up front. Campbell has failed to cut it in the premiership and Maynard was surplus to West Hams plan as soon as they went up so I'd like a couple of quality signings up front with Campbell and Maynard as back up.

Bellamy and mason can both play wide so don't think we need anymore wide players but I'd hope we could add improvements in all other areas.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:16 pm

bspark wrote:GK - Marshall plus a new signing
MR - Noone, Smith
ML - Conway, Kimbo

With all the new signings being vastly superior first team players compared to what we currently have.

Still think our weakest area is up front. Campbell has failed to cut it in the premiership and Maynard was surplus to West Hams plan as soon as they went up so I'd like a couple of quality signings up front with Campbell and Maynard as back up.

Bellamy and mason can both play wide so don't think we need anymore wide players but I'd hope we could add improvements in all other areas.

Campbell never failed to cut it he got injured he was in the England squad.
Maynard was surplus to west ham because of the way they play. He hasn't played in the premiership so we can't really say if he can or not.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:22 pm

kingdong wrote:
MR - Noone, Smith
ML - Conway, Kimbo

Maynard was surplus to west ham because of the way they play. He hasn't played in the premiership so we can't really say if he can or not.

He had two full seasons in the premiership with Spurs and Sunderland before his injury where he scored 5 goals in 44 games. Scored 2 in 24 since the injury. Bothroyd was also in the England squad.

It's just my opinion but if Maynard and Campbell are our main striking options next season and we are in the premiership then we have no chance of staying up.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:44 pm

Marshall
Turner
Noone
Bellers
Kimbo
Maynard
Campbell
Gunnarsson
Mutch
Whitts
Mason

These players I feel will be fine in the premiership.
Youngsters like Nugent and Ralls can do fine if they keep doing well. Velikonja? We have yet to see him play a proper match.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:51 pm

bspark wrote:
kingdong wrote:
MR - Noone, Smith
ML - Conway, Kimbo

He had two full seasons in the premiership with Spurs and Sunderland before his injury where he scored 5 goals in 44 games. Scored 2 in 24 since the injury. Bothroyd was also in the England squad.

It's just my opinion but if Maynard and Campbell are our main striking options next season and we are in the premiership then we have no chance of staying up.

He hardly played for spurs he only went because of the berbatov deal

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:31 pm

kingdong wrote:
bspark wrote:
kingdong wrote:
MR - Noone, Smith
ML - Conway, Kimbo

He would have played if he was good enough

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:42 pm

David Marshall
Kevin McNaughton (squad)
Andrew Taylor (squad)
Mark Hudson
Ben Turner
Peter Whittingham
Don Cowie (squad)
Craig Conway (squad)
Matthew Connolly
Kim Bo-Kyung (squad)
Tommy Smith
Craig Noone
Aron Gunnarsson
Jordon Mutch (squad)
Kadeem Harris (reserves)
Joe Mason (squad)
Joe Ralls (reserves)
Heidar Helguson (squad)
Nicky Maynard
Fraizer Campbell
Rhys Healey (reserves)
Ben Nugent (squad)
Joe Lewis (squad)
Craig Bellamy

I'd keep most of our players. But obviously we'd need to buy and we would sell quite a few.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:43 pm

paulh_85 wrote:Marshall
Kev
Taylor
Turner
Hudson
Connelly
kim
Noone
Smith
Whitts
Mutch
Gunnersson
Bellamy
Campbell
Mason
Maynard

Maybes are Conway and Helguson

Out are Cowie, earnie, mcphail, gestede and Lewis

obviously the youngsters arent included in this.

this leaves us with a squad of 15 (or 17 with the maybes) so would need a good 6 players or so.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:47 pm

kingdong wrote:
MR - Noone, Smith
ML - Conway, Kimbo

This is exactly who I kept when I managed Cardiff city FC during my second season in Football Manager! Maynard and Kimbo was banging in the goals for fun! Turner was worth 4.5 million!! :ayatollah:

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:53 pm

bspark wrote:
kingdong wrote:
bspark wrote:
kingdong wrote:
MR - Noone, Smith
ML - Conway, Kimbo

He would have played if he was good enough

He was about 18 and had world class strikers in front of him

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:06 am

Like some people have I am going to split it into categories where I think they can make the step up, maybe's and get rid.

Can step up:

Marshall
Turner
Connolly
Hudson
Nugent
Whittingham
Kim Bo Kyung
Gunnarsson
Bellamy
Campbell
Mason

Maybe:

Parish (In the future, better back up than Lewis)
McNaughton
Taylor
Noone
Mutch
Ralls
Conway
Declan John (In the future, not ready)
Kiss (If he knuckles down and develops well because he certainly has the potential of a top defensive midfielder)
Maynard

Bye bye:

Lewis
Cowie
McPhail
Earnshaw
Gestede
Helguson
Jarvis

Not sure:

Smith - Has been really good for us when he has played but has not been able to cut it in the prem, in the past.
Harris - Hasn't been involved with the first team but only young and has supposedly got a lot of potential. We will have to see how he develops.

I think if we get promotion we will need a good quality target man. Maybe Becchio or Kenwyne Jones?
Becchio being the cheap option and a bit of a gamble imo. Whereas Jones is proven at the top level and is a good quality target man. Although Jones will be the more expensive option.

IF we get promotion now in the summer our shopping list should contain the following:

A target man
A versatile full back
A centre back that is proven at Premiership level
Another pacey winger

Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:17 pm

Keep The starting 11. Players I would get rid of is Gestede, kiss, Lewis, Cowie, Mc phail, Gunnarson and conway simply because they wouldnt be good enough, even if it took a while to notice. Youngers would be loaned out too to get them playing. Would purchase about 4-6 quality players for conformtable rotation. Then win trophys 8-)