Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Welsh football 2013

Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:12 pm

Is this the year Welsh football finally becomes a force in british football ?

By the end of this season wales could have

2 premier league teams
2 football league teams
Carling cup winners
Fa trophy winners
A team back in European competition (excluding low)

Wales has never had 2 teams in the top flight of football in its history .
Both Cardiff and Swansea have each played at this level but at different times in there history .
The last time wales had 4 teams in the football league was in 1982 when Cardiff , Swansea ,Wrexham and Newport all had football league status until Newport were relegated at the end of that season .
Apart from cardiff in 1927 no Welsh team has won a major cup competition in England . It will be Swanseas first time in a major competition in the history of the club .
1982/83 has a heck of a ring about it for welsh football today . this year is newports highest league position since they last played in the football league that year , Cardiff were promoted that year and Swansea were in the top flight ( right at the start of their slide down the leagues and into administration ;) just thought i would add that :lol: !

At international level Wales Failed to qualify on the last game of the tournament after fighting back well to make that stage ??? sound familier i got a good feeling for wales this year its about time this bunch of players came good :o

If the points above happen it trully will be an amazing year for welsh football !
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: Welsh football 2013

Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:17 pm

Sorry, I don't see why we should class Swansea as welsh, when many of their fans don't.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:28 pm

And a welsh league that's absolute park football, with clubs on the verge of going under and no way of getting fans into the stadium...this isn't the year of welsh football because of 2 teams...

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:00 pm

Park football crowds but good stadard of football

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:02 pm

If I lived near a team that plays in the Welsh Premier League I would go to most of their games if they didn't clash with Cardiff.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:05 pm

since64 wrote:Park football crowds but good stadard of football

Saw Bridgend Town play Penceibwr (spelling) Rangers, Bridgend won 2-1 ( if my memory serves me right), crowd off about 50 I'd say, decent game though.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:08 pm

I hate the fact Swansea are doing well but you cant fault the four teams i mentioned , our teams have been struggling for nearly 30 years now they are all doing well and improving every week .
The league of wales is actually not a bad standard its getting better every year , especially the top teams playing in europe. More teams turning semi pro or pro and players starting to get noticed from there by teams in bigger leagues that can only be a good thing .
We just signed a striker from connahs quay so the standard cant be that bad .IMO its no worse than the irish league and prem teams quite often pick players up from there .

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:11 pm

thomasblue wrote:I hate the fact Swansea are doing well but you cant fault the four teams i mentioned , our teams have been struggling for nearly 30 years now they are all doing well and improving every week .
The league of wales is actually not a bad standard its getting better every year , especially the top teams playing in europe. More teams turning semi pro or pro and players starting to get noticed from there by teams in bigger leagues that can only be a good thing .
We just signed a striker from connahs quay so the standard cant be that bad .IMO its no worse than the irish league and prem teams quite often pick players up from there .

Have we actually signed him? Nothing on the BBC site or on the Cardiff City site. :? :?

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:23 pm

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:
thomasblue wrote:I hate the fact Swansea are doing well but you cant fault the four teams i mentioned , our teams have been struggling for nearly 30 years now they are all doing well and improving every week .

Have we actually signed him? Nothing on the BBC site or on the Cardiff City site. :? :?

Source wales online

CARDIFF City’s new young-gun Rhys Healey will be a Premier League star in South Wales – according to his former manager.

Former Wrexham defender Mark McGregor, who also enjoyed spells at Blackpool, Burnley and Port Vale, is now the boss of Welsh Premier League outfit GAP Connah’s Quay Nomads and presided over the deal taking the 18-year-old striker to the Bluebirds for an undisclosed fee.

The Deeside Stadium boss said of the Manchester born starlet: “I think he will go on to play for Cardiff’s first team, not a problem.

“Of course by then they could be playing in the Premiership, which would be a dream for Rhys.”

After graduating from the Nomads’ academy, the young frontman has been prolific this season, scoring 16 goals, including 12 in as many league starts, catching the eye of Malky Mackay’s scouting team, among others, in the process.

After completing a two-and-a-half year contract with the Championship leaders, the man who was named Welsh Premier League Player of the Month in November after firing a first half hat-trick against Llanelli, will join up with Malky Mackay’s development squad in preparation for next week’s home match against Brentford.

His former player-manager, 35, who made 244 appearances in his six years at Wrexham, continued his eulogy, saying: “He has gone from strength to strength this season and there was just no way we could hold the lad back.

“He will have a bedding-in period, in which he will learn about being a professional player, training day in, day out.

“But I expect him to be pushing hard for a place in their first-team squad by this time next season.”

The North Wales club will receive an undisclosed fee for Healey, who is a product of the thriving academy of the Flintshire club based on the banks of the River Dee.

As part of the deal, Cardiff have agreed to send a strong squad – including Healey – to the Deeside Stadium for a friendly next summer.

In addition, McGregor and his players will also have the chance to spend a week in pre-season at the Bluebirds’ training ground, while promising youngsters from the Nomads’ academy will be sent to Cardiff to aid their development and have the opportunity to impress scouts at the capital city club.

Nomads secretary Trevor Green, who was full of praise for the way Malky Mackay and his recruitment team handled the negotiations, said: “We’ve got a fee that we’re very happy with and the non-financial side of the package is a dream.”

Read more: Wales Online http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... z2JDX6F5jS