Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: has the re brand been successful in asia ?

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:30 pm

I remember this Malaysian blog before the Carling Cup Final last year. It shows how easy it is to attract Malaysian fans to our club.

The guy writing the blog was a Liverpool supporter but his nationality and their ownership of our club had made him go against his own team.

Premier League football would make this sort of thing more prevailent

http://ffrreeddiiee.blogspot.co.uk/2012 ... l.html?m=1

Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:05 am

No way, our club is just a vehicle to franchise a new brand, nothing more nothing less, it matters not if we are called Cardiff City, Birmingham City or Bristol City, we are a vehicle to promote a new faranchise, an ends to a means :(

Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:06 am

The rebrand overall was just a completely stupid idea by a man who doesn't even like or understand football, on and off the pitch.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:59 am

I live in Thailand and can get Malaysia TV service ( Astro Sport ).

They show every Cardiff home match live and they also show the Malaysian schools/colleges under 16 tournaments that are sponsored by Malaysia/Cardiff City FC amongst others.

I have not seen any Cardiff shirts for sale here in Pattaya.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:09 am

I Bleed Blue wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
samdm94 wrote:correct me if im wrong but the re brand was to make us more appealing to the asian market ?

so, are we now a huge team in asia ? i.e are fat middle aged men walking around with cardiff shirts with 7 on the back and are asian women dripping at the all the pictures of hudson and cowie etc.. ?

Ask the club how many tops they have sold overseas this year or have sent overseas this year ?
compare it to the last 2 or 3 years figures and you will have an answer !
im guessing they wont tell you , they will just give you a ball park figure of around 15k (very doubtful)
Has anybody seen a pic of a top being worn over there ?
A poster from malaysia promoting our team ?
anybody seen a video of us on malaysian tv ?
hhhmmmmmmmm ???????????????????

It will take years even then its not guaranteed

1. Quite a few to be honest, type in Cardiff City and Asian outlets will be showing them on sale and asking if anyone wants to buy them on Twitter but this is all I've seen.
2. They don't have to give figures.
A poster from Malaysia promoting our team - Image

Why is it in English :lol:

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:10 am

BigGwynram wrote:Do any of you really believe this multi million pound investment is based on selling shirts in the far east, oh please. :lol:

We all ready know its on the whim of kim jongs twin :lol:

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:35 am

samdm94 wrote:correct me if im wrong but the re brand was to make us more appealing to the asian market ?

so, are we now a huge team in asia ? i.e are fat middle aged men walking around with cardiff shirts with 7 on the back and are asian women dripping at the all the pictures of hudson and cowie etc.. ?

Are you starting these posts just for the sake of it? :lol: :lol:

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:42 am

JINKS wrote:

Are you starting these posts just for the sake of it? :lol: :lol:

i need something to do in the day :lol:

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:57 am

If we do go up expect kits to go straight on sale over there. Its marketing genius. Put them on sale when we've just got into the Premiership and there is a boom of interest in the club all over international news. Tan knows what he is doing. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:38 pm

I Bleed Blue wrote:
thomasblue wrote:

Ask the club how many tops they have sold overseas this year or have sent overseas this year ?
compare it to the last 2 or 3 years figures and you will have an answer !
im guessing they wont tell you , they will just give you a ball park figure of around 15k (very doubtful)
Has anybody seen a pic of a top being worn over there ?
A poster from malaysia promoting our team ?
anybody seen a video of us on malaysian tv ?
hhhmmmmmmmm ???????????????????

It will take years even then its not guaranteed

1. Quite a few to be honest, type in Cardiff City and Asian outlets will be showing them on sale and asking if anyone wants to buy them on Twitter but this is all I've seen.
2. They don't have to give figures.
A poster from Malaysia promoting our team - Image

Although the poster mentions Cardiff City and has pictures of some of our players on it , the advert is not for the club but for a subcription sports channel from which CCFC derives no income whatsoever and also promotes 711 convenience stores (which Vincent Tan owns) which again gives no income stream for CCFC. The only likely beneficiaries are Astro sports channel and 711.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:26 pm

JonCCFC wrote:The rebrand overall was just a completely stupid idea by a man who doesn't even like or understand football, on and off the pitch.

But he is a very successful businessman who has backed us to the hilt.I for one am very grateful and he has now in my opinion got the football bug.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:28 pm

Visited my daughter in Oz in June via Singapore.Migration in Singapore noticed I was from Cardiff and knew all about the kit change .Bear in mind it was out of season and we bombed out of the play offs but still news in Asia.My second trip to Oz was via Hong Kong in November.Pubs were rammed for Liverpool and Man U games and not much else.Betting in HK only allowed on horses and football.I still wear blue but have seen the potential in the huge fanaticsal Far East market

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:57 pm

BigGwynram wrote:Do any of you really believe this multi million pound investment is based on selling shirts in the far east, oh please. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I know Gwyn - it's crazy the way some people tick :lol: