Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Death sentence for 21 football hooligans "

Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:42 am

26 January 2013
Death sentences over Egypt football violence

An Egyptian court has sentenced to death 21 defendants over clashes between rival football fans in which 74 people were killed last February.

The riots began minutes after a league game at Port Said stadium between local side al-Masry and Cairo club al-Ahly.

The violence - Egypt's worst football disaster - sparked riots in Cairo during which a further 16 people died.

The sentences came after a day of clashes as the opposition marked the second anniversary of the revolution.

Last year's football riots led to the suspension of the league.

It began when al-Masry fans invaded the pitch, hurling stones and fireworks at the visitors.

At the time some fans - who said security forces appeared to do little to prevent the clashes - accused supporters of toppled President Hosni Mubarak of instigating the incident.

Seventy-three people, including policemen, were tried.

The judge said he would announce the verdict for the remaining 52 defendants on 9 March.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-21209808

Re: " Death sentence for football fans "

Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:14 am

I bet the 52 awaiting sentence are shittin it.. :shock:

Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:22 am

I bet most of them chaps who've been sentenced to death, only threw a few bricks or traffic cones, something minor...I bet there gutted to fuk now. I'd be fuking hysterical if I was one of them remaining defendants after hearing what sentence my co defendants were given by the judge :o

Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:28 am

74 people were killed, a bit more serious than simply throwing a traffic cone.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:42 am

RICK+CCFC wrote:74 people were killed, a bit more serious than simply throwing a traffic cone.

I was taking the piss!!

Re: " Death sentence for 21 football hooligans "

Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:07 pm

Jez Moxey currently looking into how he can apply this to the infamous Welsh Pie Throwers!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:10 pm

Sven Ghali wrote:Jez Moxey currently looking into how he can apply this to the infamous Welsh Pie Throwers!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey Jez,

I'll be there...I'll be there...with my little Steak and Kidney, I'll be there!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah:

Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:42 pm

In this case the football match was only the vehicle for the trouble which was political and judging by the state of the country it'll be a while yet before they resume any matches.Sad irony really,a population that proclaims to want democracy but is willing to kill anyone who doesn't agree with their version.A concept they seem to struggle to understand.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:08 pm

On a serious note there have been 29 further deaths via protests and an attempted jail break in Port Said today. doesn't bode well for those still awaiting sentence :(

Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:38 pm

So we know they are all guilty of a crime to warrant the death penalty.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:08 am

Miller time wrote:So we know they are all guilty of a crime to warrant the death penalty.

We don't really KNOW much at all, as we weren't there to see how it developed :cry:

Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:09 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:In this case the football match was only the vehicle for the trouble which was political and judging by the state of the country it'll be a while yet before they resume any matches.Sad irony really,a population that proclaims to want democracy but is willing to kill anyone who doesn't agree with their version.A concept they seem to struggle to understand.

you do realise youve described America, a population that proclaims to want democracy but is willing to kill anyone who doesnt agree with their version. A concept they seem to struggle to understand.