Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Simon Lappin/Robert Earnshaw/Stephen McPhail '

Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:16 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=103320 :ayatollah:

Personally I dont rate Lappin, but then thats just a fans view.

25th Jan 2013

Simon Lappin expected to rejoin Cardiff City next week

The 29-year-old, released by Norwich City this month, spent a loan spell with City and, while he only made two appearances, is a perfect fit for Cardiff.

Glaswegian Lappin is experienced, can play on either side of defence, and would provide much-needed cover for Andrew Taylor.

Malky Mackay has confirmed he is interested in Lappin and a deal is likely to be struck next week.

“He is a smashing professional, a good lad and a good personality to have around,” says Mackay.

That would complete City’s incoming transfer work for January, although it’s still possible Stephen McPhail and Robert Earnshaw could go out on loan.

‘Macca’ is available on a short-term loan just to play regular first team football and several clubs are keen, while Earnshaw is attracting interest from Major League Soccer in America.

But ‘Earnie’ wants to stay and be part of City’s promotion drive. That issue will be settled by a chat between player and manager next week.

Re: ' Simon Lappin/Robert Earnshaw/Stephen McPhail '

Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:30 pm

We've gotta have more ambition than Simon Lappin Annis , he didnt impress me loan & not sure if he'll be a success for us if we get to the PL when he certainly wasnt for Norwich City ! I'd be disappointed if Malky doesnt bring in another cuppla quality signings excluding Lappin , one of whom at least, needs to be a defender ! Nothing can be left to chance in out drive for success ! Tan out !

Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:33 pm

Good pro watched him here at Norwich. A real grafter a good championship workhorse. Gives it all sand the chant at Norwich is "Simon lappin the king of Spain!" Due to his swarthy looks lol

Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:01 pm

Forever Blue wrote:http://www.cardiffcityforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=103320 :ayatollah:

25th Jan 2013

The 29-year-old, released by Norwich City this month, spent a loan spell with City and, while he only made two appearances, is a perfect fit for Cardiff.

Glaswegian Lappin is experienced, can play on either side of defence, and would provide much-needed cover for Andrew Taylor.

Malky Mackay has confirmed he is interested in Lappin and a deal is likely to be struck next week.

“He is a smashing professional, a good lad and a good personality to have around,” says Mackay.

That would complete City’s incoming transfer work for January, although it’s still possible Stephen McPhail and Robert Earnshaw could go out on loan.

‘Macca’ is available on a short-term loan just to play regular first team football and several clubs are keen, while Earnshaw is attracting interest from Major League Soccer in America.

But ‘Earnie’ wants to stay and be part of City’s promotion drive. That issue will be settled by a chat between player and manager next week.

Ah, but he is SCOTTISH!! :lol: :lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:13 pm

In all fairness Lappin has not had enough game time to have an opinion of him. The manager has seen him everyday in training. If Malky believes in him, that's good enough for me :malky:

Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:19 pm

Forever Blue wrote:http://www.cardiffcityforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=103320 :ayatollah:

25th Jan 2013

In Malky we trust :ayatollah:

Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:38 pm

Coco wrote:We've gotta have more ambition than Simon Lappin Annis , he didnt impress me loan & not sure if he'll be a success for us if we get to the PL when he certainly wasnt for Norwich City ! I'd be disappointed if Malky doesnt bring in another cuppla quality signings excluding Lappin , one of whom at least, needs to be a defender ! Nothing can be left to chance in out drive for success ! Tan out !

Think you need to read your post again, makes no sense!

Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:38 pm

I'm surprised that some don't rate Lappin.

I was at the very wet Barnsley game, where he got sent off, and I got quite a few photos of him carrying out good old fashioned hard tackles.

I personally think he is ok. Taylor, IMHO, is the weak link and I think Lappin is ideal cover for both Taylor and McNaughton - If not a 1st Teamer?

Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:47 pm

i wasnt that impressed by his performance at birmingham... however there is no doubt that we need cover at full back and if he is available for free then i can see why malky wants him..

personally i would rather we have shown a little ambition and brought in someone who would have added a bit of quality at full back and have the ability to be ready should we make the premier league..

Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:42 pm

No suprise there.

I hope its only a year deal.. I honestly doubt he would stay with us if we did go up.

Also against Brum he didn't do nothing wrong.. he stayed back and didn't push forward a lot.. Could see the ball was always down his flank when Brum attacked so good job he didn't push forward to much.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:58 pm

Could have done so much better

Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:37 pm

Natman Blue wrote:
Coco wrote:We've gotta have more ambition than Simon Lappin Annis , he didnt impress me loan & not sure if he'll be a success for us if we get to the PL when he certainly wasnt for Norwich City ! I'd be disappointed if Malky doesnt bring in another cuppla quality signings excluding Lappin , one of whom at least, needs to be a defender ! Nothing can be left to chance in out drive for success ! Tan out !

What aspects beyond you Nat ? Lemme know & I'll clarify !

Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:09 am

Paul Keevil wrote:I'm surprised that some don't rate Lappin.

I was at the very wet Barnsley game, where he got sent off, and I got quite a few photos of him carrying out good old fashioned hard tackles.

I personally think he is ok. Taylor, IMHO, is the weak link and I think Lappin is ideal cover for both Taylor and McNaughton - If not a 1st Teamer?

He did ok against Brum too :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:11 am

Coco wrote:
Natman Blue wrote:

The part where we need more ambition and more signings but you also want to get rid of the guy who is fronting up the money for transfers to allow us to be ambitious. For not discernable and justifiable reason either

Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:31 am

Maybe malky has a few players in mind for the summer window? which he cant get now

Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:44 am

Earnie wasn't needed earlier in the season and def isn't needed now. Will always be a legend but I find it a little sad he is now holding on for money (more than within his right).

Mcphail loan sounds ideal, short term it gets him ready and you never know he may be needed later in the season.

Lappin I don't know, we need cover at LB. no more than until end of the season I'd hope.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:51 am

2blue2handle wrote:Earnie wasn't needed earlier in the season and def isn't needed now. Will always be a legend but I find it a little sad he is now holding on for money (more than within his right).

Mcphail loan sounds ideal, short term it gets him ready and you never know he may be needed later in the season.

Lappin I don't know, we need cover at LB. no more than until end of the season I'd hope.

I'd imagine it'd be a six month deal only.

I can't see a better option for no fee and what I'd imagine to be minimal wages.

A player of similar or better stature to Taylor would cost far more than I'd be willing to pay in this window, especially as prices would be overinflated atm.

Lappin's ideal.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:01 am

Natman Blue wrote:
Coco wrote:
Natman Blue wrote:

The part where we need more ambition and more signings but you also want to get rid of the guy who is fronting up the money for transfers to allow us to be ambitious. For not discernable and justifiable reason either

I dont like Tan , dont like the rebrand - red shirt , beermat badge et al , all I can see in relation to that is Tan turning the club into his own personal play thing " for no discernable and justifiable reason either. " Other than the fact that he wants to ... and of course, as hes fronting up the cash - hes perfectly entitled to do that ! That doesnt mean I have to agree with it & it doesnt mean I will always agree with any footballing decisions Malky , or indeed any other manager makes , I just feel that if the price for the rebrand is having cash -then spend it on players who will ( hopefully) be playing PL football for us next season. I feel our defence is relatively weak at Championship , let alone PL ,level and dont feel Lappin is going to strenthen us unless he gets a contract to the end of the season only , thereby providing much- needed cover . ! I see no conflict, for me anyway , in wanting promotion but not liking the way it might be brought about ! Hopefully Tans involvement , in timescale , will be minimal - I , like very many on here , supported the City for many years before his time and will continue to do so long after his day I hope .
The game is all about opinions and thats mine - I feel no affinity for Tan , if he'd put in the cash without his colour/ badge changes etc , I might feel differently ! His PR stinks too - but he's paying the piper !

Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:10 am

Aramore wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:Earnie wasn't needed earlier in the season and def isn't needed now. Will always be a legend but I find it a little sad he is now holding on for money (more than within his right).

I'd imagine it'd be a six month deal only.

I can't see a better option for no fee and what I'd imagine to be minimal wages.

A player of similar or better stature to Taylor would cost far more than I'd be willing to pay in this window, especially as prices would be overinflated atm.

Lappin's ideal.

Sounds ideal as long as its not longer than the end of the season, maybe with a promotion bonus.

If other clubs are offering longer deals though he may want to go elsewhere.

I def wouldn't be looking to replace Taylor in this window.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:01 am

Simon Rabbit is an excellent piece of business by the Club in my humble opinion;

1. Out of contract therefore no transfer fee
2. Minimal wages as he needs a club
3. Proven Championship defender
4. Experience of Promotion to the Premiership
5. Avoids paying over the odds in this window for the likes of Brayford
6. Provides cover for arguably our weakest position

He sits perfectly with the likes of Helgesson, Connelly & Smith, players who have experience of being promoted from this league.

My guess is that a short term contract, potentially until the end if this season, would be perfect

Fingers crossed we get promoted, we go in for Brayford. In the meantime, Simon Rabbit does a job and works hard to persuade the Club to offer him a longer deal next year.

The only downside is that it potentially hinders the progress of Declan John who looks the real deal at full back.

All in all, an excellent piece of business. Good work MM

(Who got the Rabbit pun?)

Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:40 am

Hes not even a defender hes a midfielder who can cover there.

So much for Malky only bringing in players that can bring better quality than we already have.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:16 am

First team defense is pretty solid, why spend loads on bring new players in when we just want cover? Keep it cheap till we go up.

Keep the money for the mid/strikers imo :)

Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:21 pm

Coco wrote:
Natman Blue wrote:
Coco wrote:
Natman Blue wrote:

I dont like Tan , dont like the rebrand - red shirt , beermat badge et al , all I can see in relation to that is Tan turning the club into his own personal play thing " for no discernable and justifiable reason either. " Other than the fact that he wants to ... and of course, as hes fronting up the cash - hes perfectly entitled to do that ! That doesnt mean I have to agree with it & it doesnt mean I will always agree with any footballing decisions Malky , or indeed any other manager makes , I just feel that if the price for the rebrand is having cash -then spend it on players who will ( hopefully) be playing PL football for us next season. I feel our defence is relatively weak at Championship , let alone PL ,level and dont feel Lappin is going to strenthen us unless he gets a contract to the end of the season only , thereby providing much- needed cover . ! I see no conflict, for me anyway , in wanting promotion but not liking the way it might be brought about ! Hopefully Tans involvement , in timescale , will be minimal - I , like very many on here , supported the City for many years before his time and will continue to do so long after his day I hope .
The game is all about opinions and thats mine - I feel no affinity for Tan , if he'd put in the cash without his colour/ badge changes etc , I might feel differently ! His PR stinks too - but he's paying the piper !

Our defense is weak at Championship level??

Is that the defense who have conceded the 2nd lowest amount of goals in the league with the 2nd highest number of clean sheets??

Yup, f*cking shit at this level that is

Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:04 pm

Yup thats the f*cking one mate ! The same defence ... and Im sure I used the term "relatively weak " for a team ten points clear, thats conceded ,prior to today's fixtures more away goals this season than Leicester , Hull , Palarse , Brighton , Millwall, Forest,Charlton , Bburn , Wolves , Dave Jones' Sheff Weds and the same number as basement boys Brizzle City !

Stats can me masked , our great home form is only half the story and you of course are entitled to use whatever figures will support your viewpoint , as I have .

Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:23 pm

Coco wrote:Yup thats the f*cking one mate ! The same defence ... and Im sure I used the term "relatively weak " for a team ten points clear, thats conceded ,prior to today's fixtures more away goals this season than Leicester , Hull , Palarse , Brighton , Millwall, Forest,Charlton , Bburn , Wolves , Dave Jones' Sheff Weds and the same number as basement boys Brizzle City !

Stats can me masked , our great home form is only half the story and you of course are entitled to use whatever figures will support your viewpoint , as I have .

Shouldnt you be getting Ice T his dinner?

oh and most of those away goals were conceded in the first few away games. Weve addressed the problem since then.

If we had a "relatively weak" defence at this level we wouldnt be 10 points clear NQAT.

Theres not a club in this division who wouldnt want Hudson, Turner and Conolly.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:32 pm

Mario Polotelli wrote:
Coco wrote:Yup thats the f*cking one mate ! The same defence ... and Im sure I used the term "relatively weak " for a team ten points clear, thats conceded ,prior to today's fixtures more away goals this season than Leicester , Hull , Palarse , Brighton , Millwall, Forest,Charlton , Bburn , Wolves , Dave Jones' Sheff Weds and the same number as basement boys Brizzle City !

Shouldnt you be getting Ice T his dinner?

oh and most of those away goals were conceded in the first few away games. Weve addressed the problem since then.

If we had a "relatively weak" defence at this level we wouldnt be 10 points clear NQAT.

Theres not a club in this division who wouldnt want Hudson, Turner and Conolly.

You obviously talk to so many Championship managers at the table Carson :notworthy:

Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:34 pm

Cuckoo- Cuckoo- Cuckoo