Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

INSURANCE HELP

Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:24 pm

passed my driving test today and was wondering where is the cheapest place to get insurance? any help would be great, thanks :malky:

Re: INSURANCE HELP

Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:27 pm

Well done bro! did write on facebook :ayatollah: im with aviva on own 2,500 first year:/

Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:49 pm

go on comparison site's, put as many named drivers on with you as you can, providing they have clean licences and good claim history, then when you call the cheapest one, say someone else is offering you £100 cheaper, they usually knock a bit off.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:56 pm

i've found a quote on direct line for £2,500 which is quite good considering i got a 1.7l 2002 corsa! im checking others now!

Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:09 pm

CalShepCCFC wrote:i've found a quote on direct line for £2,500 which is quite good considering i got a 1.7l 2002 corsa! im checking others now!

You can really get the price down if your willing to have a 'smart box' check out 'co op young drivers' my mates son had his for £900

Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:18 pm

Gavlar wrote:
CalShepCCFC wrote:i've found a quote on direct line for £2,500 which is quite good considering i got a 1.7l 2002 corsa! im checking others now!

You can really get the price down if your willing to have a 'smart box' check out 'co op young drivers' my mates son had his for £900

im willing to have a box that monitors how i drive, but i wouldnt exactly want one which has a tracker which means a curfew as the car is needed to get back from pontypridd after away games!.., what box did he have gav? one with the curfew or the one that just monitors your driving?

Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:57 pm

Well basically he can't stick to the curfew either as he works nights so he always breaches that (although the curfew is at 2300, so you'd easily be home from football)

It monitors a few things, time of driving, speed, braking etc, you'll also need to add named drivers to really get the quote down, parents etc

You don't have to stick to all the restrictions, but the more you abide by them the better deal you get the next year and some cash back on your original premium I think he said??

Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:40 pm

Gavlar wrote:Well basically he can't stick to the curfew either as he works nights so he always breaches that (although the curfew is at 2300, so you'd easily be home from football)

It monitors a few things, time of driving, speed, braking etc, you'll also need to add named drivers to really get the quote down, parents etc

You don't have to stick to all the restrictions, but the more you abide by them the better deal you get the next year and some cash back on your original premium I think he said??

i mainly go to the midweek games so a 2300 curfew wouldnt be to good! i'll start ringing insurance companies tomorrow and ask around about the box to see what they can offer, thanks gav! :ayatollah:

Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:54 pm

This thread saddens me.

You youngsters are being given a tough time by insurance companies unfairly.

There are plenty of shit drivers out there probably paying hardly anything, old, women, why you
youngsters get slammed Ill never know.

disgrace.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:08 pm

My bro just tried getting insured ans they wanted 2500 off him for a 206. He's gonna do it up sell it on for profit ams buy a Clio. I have told him to do pass plus, you should to will knock a bit off your premium.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:14 pm

perko84 wrote:My bro just tried getting insured ans they wanted 2500 off him for a 206. He's gonna do it up sell it on for profit ams buy a Clio. I have told him to do pass plus, you should to will knock a bit off your premium.

my twin brother passed in november and he got a 206, hes paying £2,200 for his!... me and him are planning on doing pass plus now!

Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:16 pm

MillarFromTheHalfWayLine wrote:This thread saddens me.

You youngsters are being given a tough time by insurance companies unfairly.

There are plenty of shit drivers out there probably paying hardly anything, old, women, why you
youngsters get slammed Ill never know.

disgrace.

it's simply because they think every youngster that passes is going to turn into a boy racer! what they don't realise is most people just need to drive to get to college/uni/work and just need it for life to get easier, not to go out f*cking racing each other! they just class us all into one bracket, arseholes!

Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:16 pm

CalShepCCFC wrote:passed my driving test today and was wondering where is the cheapest place to get insurance? any help would be great, thanks :malky:

Go on to the web, mate and have a 'search' with forums to let you know different experiences of different companies ;)

My friend recently insured his son with Aviva and they did him like a kipper by upping his insurance by £400 after they decided not to accept a year on his mother's insurance 'on a technicality' (despite telling him it was acceptable days earlier) :x

I am told that one route to try (if you can do it) is to have a parent (say your mum) named as a 'second' driver, as this can help drive down the costs AND gives YOU the security of personal No claims Bonus each year :ayatollah:

Final tip: Drive sensibly, don't be influenced by others (or drink! :lol: ) and make sure you don't get done by the law for anything (speeding, etc) as 6 points is your limit and even 3 will have a massive effect :ayatollah:

Good luck with your hunt :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:27 pm

http://www.co-operativeinsurance.co.uk/ ... urance-Car

This is the young driver smart box policy Cal, good luck mate

Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:29 pm

Sven Ghali wrote:
CalShepCCFC wrote:passed my driving test today and was wondering where is the cheapest place to get insurance? any help would be great, thanks :malky:

Go on to the web, mate and have a 'search' with forums to let you know different experiences of different companies ;)

My friend recently insured his son with Aviva and they did him like a kipper by upping his insurance by £400 after they decided not to accept a year on his mother's insurance 'on a technicality' (despite telling him it was acceptable days earlier) :x

I am told that one route to try (if you can do it) is to have a parent (say your mum) named as a 'second' driver, as this can help drive down the costs AND gives YOU the security of personal No claims Bonus each year :ayatollah:

Final tip: Drive sensibly, don't be influenced by others (or drink! :lol: ) and make sure you don't get done by the law for anything (speeding, etc) as 6 points is your limit and even 3 will have a massive effect :ayatollah:

i'll give it a try with your advice, thanks :ayatollah: what i dont get is i've had 2 quotes with direct line (exactly the same things i put in) and one was £2,600 and the other was £2,450, confusing :lol:

Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:31 pm

Gavlar wrote:http://www.co-operativeinsurance.co.uk/servlet/Satellite/1228203835143,CFSweb/Page/Insurance-Car

i tried co op earlier and i was quoted £4000, but i didnt get offered the box, il try again now!

Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:35 pm

CalShepCCFC wrote:
Gavlar wrote:http://www.co-operativeinsurance.co.uk/servlet/Satellite/1228203835143,CFSweb/Page/Insurance-Car

i tried co op earlier and i was quoted £4000, but i didnt get offered the box, il try again now!

You obviously didn't go in via the young drivers policy, add a named driver too

Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:27 pm

CalShepCCFC wrote:
Sven Ghali wrote:

i'll give it a try with your advice, thanks :ayatollah: what i dont get is i've had 2 quotes with direct line (exactly the same things i put in) and one was £2,600 and the other was £2,450, confusing :lol:

TBH, I think it's all set to confuse, as that way there will only ever be one winner; the insurance racketeers ;) :ayatollah:

Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:27 pm

CalShepCCFC wrote:
Sven Ghali wrote:

TBH, I think it's all set to confuse, as that way there will only ever be one winner; the insurance racketeers ;) :ayatollah:

Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:37 pm

Insurance Companies were offering good reductions for PassPlus when it came out but now it's only about 5% discount. It costs about £160 for the course from what I was told. Good from a safety aspect but not sure of the worth financially.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:46 pm

Beg Victor for cashhh :wink:

Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:15 am

got the lowest offer of £2400 fully comp with direct line! offered a box but didnt make much difference... thanks for your help :ayatollah:

Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:42 am

Caerblue54 wrote:Insurance Companies were offering good reductions for PassPlus when it came out but now it's only about 5% discount. It costs about £160 for the course from what I was told. Good from a safety aspect but not sure of the worth financially.

http://www.dragondriver.com/ppcindex.htm
Pass Plus in Wales only costs just £20, great deal. ;)

Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:06 am

CalShepCCFC wrote:got the lowest offer of £2400 fully comp with direct line! offered a box but didnt make much difference... thanks for your help :ayatollah:

Confused about this Cal, your sure when you went on the co op website I linked for you, you actually went through a young drivers quote with the smart box option???

Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:14 am

Gavlar wrote:
CalShepCCFC wrote:got the lowest offer of £2400 fully comp with direct line! offered a box but didnt make much difference... thanks for your help :ayatollah:

Confused about this Cal, your sure when you went on the co op website I linked for you, you actually went through a young drivers quote with the smart box option???

yeah i went through it all, still come up £3000... direct line was the only site that offered me one for under £2800! all the student quotes and student companies offered me way over £3000!

Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:18 am

Bastards!!!

Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:21 am

Gavlar wrote:Bastards!!!

really exspensive tbh just cos of a few idiot boy racers! but in all honesty £2400 isn't to bad, was expecting hell of a lot more tbh! thanks for your help gav!

Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:34 am

just because you've passed your test, doesn't mean you can drive! its when all young and first time drivers are likey to have a bump, plus all the tossers who claim whiplash left right and center

you've got a few years before you learn the road and how to drive properly :malky:

Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:36 am

I used your link Gav, and got quoted £1800 on a 2001 plate fiesta. Decent enough for a 18 year old imo

Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:37 am

Forgot to mention I added my with father who has 10 years NCB but I only used 2 years