Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Derby matches...

Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:57 pm

There has been a couple of mentions on here about how big a Welsh derby in the Premier League would be, but honestly, for us fans, would it really be any different?

We still play at the Liberty, you are still at the CCS, we've played each other home and away in the last few years, so at the fans level, what would change? (Ticket prices aside :lol: )

Take away the obvious increased media coverage, which is a consequence of being in the Premier League anyway, and what have you got? Both games sold out - the same as the Championship matches. 2 sets of fans who don't exactly see eye to eye ;) - the same as the Championship matches, Bubble trips - the same as the Championship matches...

I just don't see what would change from a couple of years back?

Re: Derby matches...

Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:04 pm

the quality of both teams have gone up huge, we relied on Sinclair alot in the championship but i doubt he would even get into the team now, be alot better game in my view

Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:07 pm

JackArmy95 wrote:the quality of both teams have gone up huge, we relied on Sinclair alot in the championship but i doubt he would even get into the team now, be alot better game in my view

Okay granted, there will be more quality on show, but still, for the fans I can't see what the difference would be between us playing each other in the Championship, the Premier League or the Pontins League for that matter... It will still sell out, the police will get their overtime, one of us gets the bragging rights etc...

Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:12 pm

A Cardiff/Swansea Premiership clash would be historic, if nothing else.

I'm looking forward to this fixture [hopefully] more than the likes of Man U, Liverpool, etc.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:12 pm

The difference is there will be a world wide audience watching.

I was in Florida over the Christmas and you lot were live on Fox Soccer (may have been united I refused to watch it :ayatollah: ) and they announced that we are going to Swansea, Wales where the Swans.........It did hit me :sick: what a big deal the premier league is.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:13 pm

The billions of people who watch the premier league will see a real derby not this pussy Manchester Liverpool shite.

Your right though it wouldn't make a difference to the fans. The plastics might be in for a shock :lol:

Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:17 pm

llan bluebird wrote:The difference is there will be a world wide audience watching.

I was in Florida over the Christmas and you lot were live on Fox Soccer (may have been united I refused to watch it :ayatollah: ) and they announced that we are going to Swansea, Wales where the Swans.........It did hit me :sick: what a big deal the premier league is.

I remember playing Man Utd in the first season we got up, reading that there would be an estimated half a billion people watching :shock:

But for fans who go to the games, I just can't see what the difference will be.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:02 pm

I am pretty sure it would be the first fixtures we'll all be looking for :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: but let's get there first :malky:

Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:40 pm

Do you honestly think the eyes of the world would be on this one?

No one world wide gives a toss about Sunderland V Newcastle.....do you think they would have any interest on the City v swansea town? It's mickey mouse compared to the former.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:06 pm

Liverpool-everton, city-united, newcastle-sunderland will all have far higher viewing figures then our derby.

Lets get a reality check. Very few people outside wales will give a rats arse about a south wales derby.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:21 pm

i believe it would be huge..

it will be a couple of seasons since we met adding spice... for a change swansea will be the favorites, adding the better players on the field for both squads. im sure it will def be a super sunday ;)

i would be looking forward to this fixture more than any other and it will be the first two days i book off work as soon as the fixtures were released...

:ayatollah: :malky:

Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:05 pm

scotsjack wrote:There has been a couple of mentions on here about how big a Welsh derby in the Premier League would be, but honestly, for us fans, would it really be any different?

We still play at the Liberty, you are still at the CCS, we've played each other home and away in the last few years, so at the fans level, what would change? (Ticket prices aside :lol: )

Take away the obvious increased media coverage, which is a consequence of being in the Premier League anyway, and what have you got? Both games sold out - the same as the Championship matches. 2 sets of fans who don't exactly see eye to eye ;) - the same as the Championship matches, Bubble trips - the same as the Championship matches...

I just don't see what would change from a couple of years back?

That's where you are wrong jock, swansea have never played agaisnt the reddragons from cardiff and that is a fact. The bluebirds died last year, if or when we play them all i can see is the micky being taken out of them :lol: we have moved on europe awaits us next year, two games against fc franchise of cardiff ain't no big deal :thumbup:

Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:07 pm

Think the build up to the first ever south wales derby in the premier league (if we do go up) will be a lot more intense. You won't be able to escape it. The last south wales derbies in the championship, you could sort of escape the build up, untill about a day or 2 before the game. I can see it being full on starting a week or 2 before the game right up to the big day, like they done with the rugby grandslam deciding game last year. Different kinds of documentaries, classic south wales derbies etc being shown on wales tv and allsorts. There gunna stoke it right up.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:10 pm

mr'mogreenz wrote:Think the build up to the first ever south wales derby in the premier league (if we do go up) will be a lot more intense. You won't be able to escape it. The last south wales derbies in the championship, you could sort of escape the build up, untill about a day or 2 before the game. I can see it being full on starting a week or 2 before the game right up to the big day, like they done with the rugby grandslam deciding game last year. Different kinds of documentaries, classic south wales derbies etc being shown on wales tv and allsorts. There gunna stoke it right up.

busting for it already.... :malky:

Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:14 pm

mr'mogreenz wrote:Think the build up to the first ever south wales derby in the premier league (if we do go up) will be a lot more intense. You won't be able to escape it. The last south wales derbies in the championship, you could sort of escape the build up, untill about a day or 2 before the game. I can see it being full on starting a week or 2 before the game right up to the big day, like they done with the rugby grandslam deciding game last year. Different kinds of documentaries, classic south wales derbies etc being shown on wales tv and allsorts. There gunna stoke it right up.

It will only be big in south wales, much bigger game's in the epl and from the london based media it will mean nothing. :thumbup:

Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:21 pm

murphy wrote:Liverpool-everton, city-united, newcastle-sunderland will all have far higher viewing figures then our derby.

Lets get a reality check. Very few people outside wales will give a rats arse about a south wales derby.

On the other hand, the Jacks are getting alot more of a look in since they're been in the Prem, so perhaps millions of people will want to see them play their arch rivals? If true, it could work out for city as we could gain a lot of "fans".

Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:08 pm

WTF is everyone going on about.

"it will be"
"I can't wait"

You can't have watched CCFC for long!!!

FFS there's a hell of a long way to go and the one thing I've always come to rely on with city is that we will f**k it up.