Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Best Keeper in the Championship? "

Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:25 am

David Marshall is Malky Mackay’s number one at Cardiff City

WalesOnlineJan 25 2013

Scotland and Cardiff City goalkeeper David Marshall

Cardiff City boss Malky Mackay believes ‘quiet man’ David Marshall is the best goalkeeper in the Championship.

The 27-year-old Scot has been in superb form this season as he’s helped the Bluebirds surge 10 points clear at the top of the table.

The stats certainly prove that Marshall is right up there when it comes to shot-stoppers in the second tier.

He has kept 11 clean-sheets this season, a number only beaten by Kasper Schmeichel at second-placed Leicester who has 12.

If earlier in the campaign Mackay’s side experienced the jitters, particularly on the road, recently the Bluebirds have tightened things right up.

One of the big reasons they have lost just once in their last 13 games has been the miserly qualities of Marshall and the defenders in front of him.

The Bluebirds’ ‘keeper has only been beaten twice in Cardiff’s last six league games.

In many ways the form of Marshall, who began his career at Celtic and joined the Bluebirds from Norwich in May 2009, has been a triumph for Mackay and the faith he has shown in his shot-stopper.

When he took charge of the Bluebirds Mackay had to decide between Marshall and Tom Heaton as his No.1 with many divided on who was actually the better player of the two.

Re: " Best Keeper in the Championship? "

Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:28 am

He has kept us in a few games this season and whenever there is a one on one situation i am always confident he cant stop it going in :ayatollah:

Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:33 am

Kasper Shmichel Leicester City I reckon :ayatollah: :old: :ayatollah:

Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:49 am

In the top 3 with Robinson and Shmeical IMO. Better than Paddy Kenny and Gilks. I also think he's better than McGregor and he should be playing for Scotland instead of bench warming. :ayatollah:

Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:50 am

His save against Blackpool early in the game was superb, and that's just one I can think of. :ayatollah:

Scotland Scotland's number 1 :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:13 am

schmeichel and robinson are better than him for me

Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:21 am

Marshy used to get me nervous at every dead ball or cross - he didn't seem to dominate his area, rarely leaving his line and certainly not his 6 yard box.

In the last few months, though, I notice that has changed - he has always been a top class shot stopper, but now some of the other aspects of his play have improved as well.

Football is a game of ever finer margins the higher up the leagues you go; I think having a decent and settled defensive unit is bound to help the goalkeeper perform better.

I haven't seen enough of other keepers to judge, but the clean sheets is a good indicator, as is the fact we have won so many games by just 1 goal margin.

The thing I like about him the most is how ballistic he goes at his team mates if the oppo scores or even just gets a shot off - love to see a keeper give his team mates a bollocking, just like it is great to see Malky do the same on the touchline. :ayatollah:

Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:22 am

hes the top keeper in my opinion without a doubt because the stats dont tell the story. in 28 games hes conceded 30 goals but HALF OF THEM CAME IN 4 GAMES, enough said. :ayatollah:

Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:40 am

Marshal easyily the best few seasons back i would of said lee camp