Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Please read. Thank you

Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:44 pm

Hey lads, just wanted to post to raise some awareness. My 14 month old niece has been diagnosed with aplastic anemia. It's a very rare cancer. She is in desperate need of a bone marrow transplant.

She is being kept alive by blood transfusions. Sort of puts things into perspective for me. Last week mine and my dads mind was on Frazer Campbell signing and now I just come on here to take my mind if things.

Anyway I wanted to raise some awareness as even though more bone marrow donors are needed. It is men's marrow that is needed more because men can generally provide greater volumes of blood stem cells than women. This helps faster engraftment and the reconstitution of the immune system post transplant.

If you are interested in possibly saving someone's life then visit http://www.welsh-blood.org.uk/ and register. Even if its just to give blood or donate platelets as this is keeping my niece alive.

Thanks fellow bluebirds for taking the time to read.

Re: Please read. Thank you

Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:46 pm

how old have you got to be to give blood?

Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:51 pm

Most people can give blood. If you are generally in good health, age 17 to 65 (if it's your first time) and weigh at least 50kg (7st 12Ib) you can donate. However, If you are female, aged under 20 years old and weigh under 65kg (10st 3lb) and are under 168cm (5' 6") in height, they need to estimate your blood volume before donating

Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:58 pm

Blood donation is vitally important and everyone should do it.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:00 pm

Leon1927 wrote:Most people can give blood. If you are generally in good health, age 17 to 65 (if it's your first time) and weigh at least 50kg (7st 12Ib) you can donate. However, If you are female, aged under 20 years old and weigh under 65kg (10st 3lb) and are under 168cm (5' 6") in height, they need to estimate your blood volume before donating

well at least im eligible :) might do it to help others out!

Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:02 pm

where do you go to give blood?

Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:02 pm

Thanks Calshep!

Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:04 pm

BluebirdJM wrote:where do you go to give blood?

http://www.welsh-blood.org.uk/

type your post code in will give you near places and dates.

Drink a pint of water before you go, they'll give you a pint when you're there. When you leave go to the pub, after losing a pint of blood you'll get drunk a lot cheaper :thumbup:

Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:10 pm

RFMH wrote:
BluebirdJM wrote:where do you go to give blood?

http://www.welsh-blood.org.uk/

type your post code in will give you near places and dates.

Drink a pint of water before you go, they'll give you a pint when you're there. When you leave go to the pub, after losing a pint of blood you'll get drunk a lot cheaper :thumbup:

:lol: cheers

Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:26 pm

All the best mate

:ayatollah:

Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:39 pm

Already give regularly and signed up for bone marrow. Everyone should so this, it's only an hour max of your time about 3/4 times a year.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:34 am

Leon1927 wrote:Thanks fellow bluebirds for taking the time to read.

The parc and dare was packed last monday apparently wasn't it for blood doners? Loads going this monday too I've read on facebook :ayatollah: .

Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:20 am

Is this the little girl from Cwmparc :/ :/ ??

Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:39 pm

Yea! She's from Cwmparc. Thanks all for your support!

Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:58 pm

I've got loads going to donate.

I give blood but will do marrow now.
You can book appointments through welsh blood service.

Keep strong fella, we are all so gutted but we have to fight this :ayatollah: