Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

UEFA Euros 2020

Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:45 pm

Uefa is set to insist that Euro 2020 venues must be served by an airport with at least two terminals so rival fans can be kept apart. That would rule out Cardiff's Millennium Stadium as one of the 13 cities for the tournament.

Would be good for the city :cry:

Re: UEFA Euros 2020

Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:51 pm

well they seem to be dishing out tournaments to countries/cities that dont even have stadia or infrastructure in place at time of bidding, so no reason why we couldnt develop the airport and 1 or 2 stadia in 7 years. might even give the WAG or whoever the kick up the arse it needs to get shit done!

Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:58 pm

DamnRightIveGotTheBlues wrote:Uefa is set to insist that Euro 2020 venues must be served by an airport with at least two terminals so rival fans can be kept apart. That would rule out Cardiff's Millennium Stadium as one of the 13 cities for the tournament.

Seems a bit extreme

Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:58 pm

For the whole tournament (or shared with Scotland/ Ireland) then maybe, but if its likely to only be a couple of game I doubt they'd see the return so wouldn't bother.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:59 pm

I should also mention that the source for that is BBC breaking sports news

Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:59 pm

DamnRightIveGotTheBlues wrote:Uefa is set to insist that Euro 2020 venues must be served by an airport with at least two terminals so rival fans can be kept apart. That would rule out Cardiff's Millennium Stadium as one of the 13 cities for the tournament.

bristol and cardiff airport ?

Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:42 pm

I hope every Euros aren't like this. Euro 2012 was amazing and this 13 cities thing is stupid and a waste of time. Also a massive inconvenience for fans

Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:28 pm

wez1927 wrote:

bristol and cardiff airport ?

I was thinking the same

Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:52 pm

They do say that Glasgow is being considered. Glasgow and 'Glasgow' Prestwick airports are about 30 miles apart. Technically Glasgow Airport has 2 terminals but I wouldn't call T2 a real terminal. Can't see why Bristol couldn't be used, only takes an hour to get into Cardiff if they provide dedicated buses.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:54 pm

Most will fly into London anyway. The prices to London and then travel are usually cheaper than the prices straight into Bristol or Cardiff.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:01 pm

HeFilmsTheClouds wrote:Most will fly into London anyway. The prices to London and then travel are usually cheaper than the prices straight into Bristol or Cardiff.

They will put on flights especially for this if it happened no doubt.