Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

GARY HOOPER - £6M? GET REAL!!

Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:48 am

Unbelievable that Celtic are after more than £6m for this lad. He's proved exactly what
in his career? Good goalscorer in the lower leagues for Scunthorpe yes. But now he's doing
what? scoring a hatful against Ross County, Inverness, St Mirren, St Johnstone?...these are
League One teams at best. Just been watching the clips of him on Sky, the feller is left
totally unmarked in the box for two goals. Thats the quality of marking!!

£2.5m at best.

Re: GARY HOOPER - £6M? GET REAL!!

Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:57 am

taffyapple wrote:Unbelievable that Celtic are after more than £6m for this lad. He's proved exactly what
in his career? Good goalscorer in the lower leagues for Scunthorpe yes. But now he's doing
what? scoring a hatful against Ross County, Inverness, St Mirren, St Johnstone?...these are
League One teams at best. Just been watching the clips of him on Sky, the feller is left

£2.5m at best.

take it you havnt seen him score in the champions league proper then?

that in itself can bump the price up.

i think celtic are right. hoopers class, just youtube his goal v rangers when his first touch skinned davie weir. wow!

they see decent players going for silly money, andy carroll 35m is the biggest example of how daft it can be. yet they are expected to let a proven goal scorer go for peanuts.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:16 pm

Cardiff Daft! wrote:
taffyapple wrote:Unbelievable that Celtic are after more than £6m for this lad. He's proved exactly what

£2.5m at best.

i think celtic are right. hoopers class, just youtube his goal v rangers when his first touch skinned davie weir. wow!

they see decent players going for silly money, andy carroll 35m is the biggest example of how daft it can be. yet they are expected to let a proven goal scorer go for peanuts.

David Weir is 42 years old

Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:18 pm

:lol:

i wish people would stop referring to youtube to show a players ability.

Talking about someone who has played football for like 10 seasons, a out of all of that a 2 minute video on youtube makes him look like messi! :lol:

he isnt worth 6m imo, 4m at best, would like to see how he could handle the premier league though.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:18 pm

Disagree sorry Taff.

The kid is a goalscorer. You cant teach what he has got. Scored goals in europa league and champions league.

If clubs are paying 8m for Jordan Rhodes, 7m for Jay Rodriguez then 6m for Hooper is about right.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:21 pm

taffyapple wrote:
Cardiff Daft! wrote:

£2.5m at best.

David Weir is 42 years old

true, that first touch would have skinned near enough any defender.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:28 pm

Mario Polotelli wrote:Disagree sorry Taff.

The kid is a goalscorer. You cant teach what he has got. Scored goals in europa league and champions league.

If clubs are paying 8m for Jordan Rhodes, 7m for Jay Rodriguez then 6m for Hooper is about right.

I agree with Polo, After watching the Scottish highlights, yes the opposition is of low standard, but you cannot buy technique and skill that some of his play creates.

Good player IMO.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:04 pm

caerdydd_78 wrote:

I agree with Polo, After watching the Scottish highlights, yes the opposition is of low standard, but you cannot buy technique and skill that some of his play creates.

Good player IMO.

We were ALL saying the same about David Goodwillie, how his flair and super-skill was
going to ignite the flame and get us promoted.

Austin etc have PROVEN themselves over time in a division a damn sight more difficult
than the Scottish 'One Team Premier' Division.

Six million for a Scottish striker is madness

Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:11 pm

Hooper proved he can score at champ level in a shit scunthorpe team. If the likes of Rhodes, who wasn't even proven in the champ, is worth £8 million they why should he be any less? Although I think all players are well overpriced

Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:12 pm

taffyapple wrote:
caerdydd_78 wrote:

Good player IMO.

We were ALL saying the same about David Goodwillie, how his flair and super-skill was

Austin etc have PROVEN themselves over time in a division a damn sight more difficult

hooper got his move to celtic after scoring 19 goals in the same division as charlie austins in now in a worse team than burnley.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:21 pm

taffyapple wrote:
caerdydd_78 wrote:

Good player IMO.

Taff I agree but Blackburn are shocking!! with a player with a gift, he would thrive under Malky, that's why I cannot wait til I see Campbell in a city shirt!!

Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:57 pm

premier league now is about a million pound a goal over a season

Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:39 pm

Oh come on Dave this kid is levels above Goodwillie.

Done it in Championship with a small club and has given some of europest finest problems.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:03 pm

Reports suggest they want £8 million.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:06 pm

Overated in other words people are saying? :lol:

The boy is very very quick and got great pace.. never stops running and is always wanting to score goals.

He could make it in the prem.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:08 pm

Mario Polotelli wrote:Oh come on Dave this kid is levels above Goodwillie.

Done it in Championship with a small club and has given some of europest finest problems.

Maybe he is. But same applies. He's scored a couple of decent goals in Europe agreed but
the vast majority of goals he has scored have been for Scunthorpe, or against Ross Fish
Fingers etc.

If Austin, having scored loads in the Championship is valued at around £6m then I cannot
see how Hooper can be valued the same having played against Clydebank Shipbuilders for
the last two seasons :D