Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Would the occasion save us against the Jacks?

Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:28 am

In previous seasons and various derby's, form is normally useless when it comes to a big derby game. Would this be on our side if we were to get promoted? Or would the inevitable happen and the jacks do a double on us? With their strong squad and themselves becoming a more established premier league team after each season. Would we be able to compete? The only way I can see us with any hope in the premier league is if we spend BIG this summer.

(this is all based on a good second half of the season)

Re: Would the occasion save us against the Jacks?

Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:34 am

Malky has turned us into a big game team now. I have no doubt that if we went up we would be underdogs in both games but we would also get something from both games.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:38 am

The attitude of "I want what they have so let's spend big to get it" is whats has got us into the situation where we have had to give up our colours and badge, and possibly our bluebird. Not to mention an Asian with no affiliation to the club that now has us by the balls as if he pulls the plug it's all over.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:37 am

English_Mustard wrote:The attitude of "I want what they have so let's spend big to get it" is whats has got us into the situation where we have had to give up our colours and badge, and possibly our bluebird. Not to mention an Asian with no affiliation to the club that now has us by the balls as if he pulls the plug it's all over.

Well obviously something has to change to insure we don't get slammed every game up there

Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:27 pm

You don't need to spend big you need to spend clever , look at qpr for how not to do it

Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:33 pm

waddle wrote:You don't need to spend big you need to spend clever , look at qpr for how not to do it

What a breath of fresh air agreeing with a jack. :ayatollah:

If anything Swansea are living proof of this. When you compare Michu and what he earns to the likes of Darren Bent is makes a mockey of it all. A bit like the low paid worker producing more than the lazy git over there on double the wages. Some of these high profile overpaid footba worth their salt and Swansea are rubbing that in very well.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:33 pm

BlueDredd wrote:In previous seasons and various derby's, form is normally useless when it comes to a big derby game. Would this be on our side if we were to get promoted? Or would the inevitable happen and the jacks do a double on us? With their strong squad and themselves becoming a more established premier league team after each season. Would we be able to compete? The only way I can see us with any hope in the premier league is if we spend BIG this summer.

(this is all based on a good second half of the season)

bet they had a similar thread when they were going up in league1 and we were established in the champ..and look how that went :lol:

footballs a funny game, lets just see what happens!

Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:38 pm

English_Mustard wrote:The attitude of "I want what they have so let's spend big to get it" is whats has got us into the situation where we have had to give up our colours and badge, and possibly our bluebird. Not to mention an Asian with no affiliation to the club that now has us by the balls as if he pulls the plug it's all over.

PTBG :roll:

Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:09 pm

I think that you're underestimating us.
We're 10 points clear at the top of the league. When the Jacks went up they were never in this position, and they did well in their first season in the PL, so whats to say we cant do the same, or better?
Obviously they have progressed again and will be favourites but I don't think it'd be that much of a foregone conclusion.
Plus the fact its a derby so anything can happen!

Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:57 pm

DamnRightIveGotTheBlues wrote:I think that you're underestimating us.
We're 10 points clear at the top of the league. When the Jacks went up they were never in this position, and they did well in their first season in the PL, so whats to say we cant do the same, or better?
Obviously they have progressed again and will be favourites but I don't think it'd be that much of a foregone conclusion.

Listen you are having a great season so did QPR when they were champions and Reading last season they have both struggled one spending more money and Reading struggles to attract players full stop. The most important thing is to finish 17th or above and if you would of asked me at the beginning of last season and this season that is what I would of taken. So calling the odds because you think you are better than you are, don't work. Just get there enjoy the ride and watch your club grow slowly as success is not a given till you establish yourself. Take each game as it comes and on derby days league form does matter in this division , Spend wisely grow slowly and trust your Manager.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:06 pm

SA1 wrote:

Listen you are having a great season so did QPR when they were champions and Reading last season they have both struggled one spending more money and Reading struggles to attract players full stop. The most important thing is to finish 17th or above and if you would of asked me at the beginning of last season and this season that is what I would of taken. So calling the odds because you think you are better than you are, don't work. Just get there enjoy the ride and watch your club grow slowly as success is not a given till you establish yourself. Take each game as it comes and on derby days league form does matter in this division , Spend wisely grow slowly and trust your Manager.

And to what do we owe this useless piece of advice?

I wasn't calling any odds or thinking we are better than we are. I know exactly what success is.

One and a half seasons in the big time and he reckons he's Sir Alex :lol:

Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:10 pm

SA1 wrote:

Very dificult to judge us as although we are 10 points clear I dont think the championship is that strong. However we are where we are without a main striker. I feel the next 18 games will tell us now we have a striker.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:23 pm

DamnRightIveGotTheBlues wrote:
SA1 wrote:

I wasn't calling any odds or thinking we are better than we are. I know exactly what success is.

To be fair i dont mind the jacks who reply with decent posts and hes only saying like it is.. :malky:

Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:35 pm

JINKS wrote:
DamnRightIveGotTheBlues wrote:
SA1 wrote:

To be fair i dont mind the jacks who reply with decent posts and hes only saying like it is.. :malky:

Yup, nothing wrong with the content, just the condescending nature of it, like i don't already know this stuff.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:36 pm

The top of the championship and mid table prem has very little difference. However, the difference is how the experienced mid table prem clubs play the top 6/8. The jacks may lose to us or Leicester but draw at Old trafford or the emirates and win at the Liberty.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:39 pm

The'inevitable'double over us?

If inevitable means for the first time ever that is

Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:44 pm

Only difference between upper champ and lower prem is mindset.

Lower prem are going out to avoid relegation and upper champ are going for promotion. To survive a relegation fight you need to expect disappointment and defeat but it can not be acceptable if you're aiming for promotion.

It's probably why Wolves, Blackburn and Bolton are doing so badly this year. They haven't switched their mindsets over.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:33 pm

Don't forget that when the jacks went up they didn't buy anyone of note in terms of prem pedigree and in the main stuck with the core of their championship side. Nobody thought the players would prove to handle it the way they did so how do you know how our players would cope? For example, were players like Britton or dyer any better in the championship than Whitts or Noone? Would you have taken Williams over turner or Hudson?

A good point by waddle too in terms of buying smart not big.

I don't think you can truly judge our squad until they've been tested at the higher level :malky:

Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:40 pm

CityGent wrote:The'inevitable'double over us?

If inevitable means for the first time ever that is

The way things are working out for them at the moment it wouldn't surprise me. But if we get 40 points I wouldn't worry too much about who we lost to. Football is cyclical though and our time will come :ayatollah: