Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Weight Loss Serious replies only

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:44 am

Hi guys just started back in gym as im carrying way to much timber what would be most effective way to lose weight and tone up ive obviously cut way back on the beer and no kebabs, burgers etc, help be appriciated

Re: Weight Loss Serious replies only

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:55 am

Main thing is eat good. Cut out the white stuff, white rice, white bread etc.. Just drink water every day, don't eat after 8 as your metabolism comes to a halt and anything you eat will just be stored as body fat. :ayatollah:

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:59 am

Serious tip, diets are a temporary thing so don't work long term, as when you finished, you go back to "normal". What you need to do is change what "normal" is. Eat what foods you enjoy, but reduce the amount of everything you eat, e.g. 1 slice of toast instead of 2, eat 2/3 roast potatoes instead of 4/5 etc. I started this a few years back and (with a bit of running) lost 1.5 stone in 2 months, I've never put it back on again either. Hope this helps, good luck with it mate :malky:

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:01 am

There are as number of diet programs you can try. To lose weight quickly you can try such diets as Liprotrim and Cambrigde. These are sort of shake diets where you only drink say 3/3 shakes a day. These shakes replace the proteins that normal food provide but obviously leave out the fatty tissues. I know these diets have worked for others.

The problem with the above diets is you can put the weight back on if you are not careful. Once you have lost your weight you need to then seriously look at your food input. decide on a decent calorie intake and keep with until your body has adapted.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:02 am

Well if you have cut back on beer kebabs and burgers and your going to the gym you need not do much else.Changing your eating habbits and your lifestyle works far better than any diet.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:14 am

Try drinking green tea 2 cups a day- cleans u out and speeds up metabolism.

Also aim for 2-3 cardio sessions a week, cut down on the carbs and eat more protein

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:27 am

Google the 5-2 diet , it changes the way you eat , you lose weight and it stays off.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:29 am

Run run and more running, I lost 5 stone doing it

first of all its a struggle but gets better , gets easyier, you get fitter and the weight flys off! and i still eat kebabs and chinkys etc

Just burn more calories than you eat :malky:

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:31 am

Hiya mate! Alright? wrote:Serious tip, diets are a temporary thing so don't work long term, as when you finished, you go back to "normal". What you need to do is change what "normal" is. Eat what foods you enjoy, but reduce the amount of everything you eat, e.g. 1 slice of toast instead of 2, eat 2/3 roast potatoes instead of 4/5 etc. I started this a few years back and (with a bit of running) lost 1.5 stone in 2 months, I've never put it back on again either. Hope this helps, good luck with it mate :malky:

this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ plus walk when and where ever you can.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:03 pm

cheers lads really appriciated im never gonna be chisled and cut but couple of stone weight loss be good start so thanks for the info

Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:13 pm

Another good tip is whenever you feel hungry, drink a pint of water. Give it ten minutes and if you still feel like you need food, eat. So many people think they are hungry when in reality their body wants water because they are dehydrated. Also, stay away from carbonated drinks. Water is your friend for weight loss.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:27 pm

Diet is the most important thing, eat little and often and cut out the Carbs after 5-6 o clock. Also if your overweight the weight will drop off you if you train properly. You should work at high intensity, you could burn more calories in 12 minutes on/off high intensity than just a slow jog for an hour. Do 30 minutes of weights, high reps with a few exercises following each other then finish on the treadmill 2 minute jog/45 second sprint (or as fast as you can run) and repeat that cycle 3-5 times. Do that 3 times a week combined with eating fairly healthy and weight will drop off in no time. Loads of info on the internet if you look in the right places. Problem with a lot of people trying to lose weight is they don't know how to train for weight loss.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:28 pm

June last year I decided to lose weight. With family commitments I was struggling to get to the gym and my diet was not the best.

I started to going to the gym in my lunch hour and I train everyday for about 30 to 40 mins. I mainly do weights. Due to the time constraints I try and focus on one muscle group per session. So an average week would look like this:

Mon - Chest
Tues - Legs
Wed - Shoulders & Triceps
Thurs - Back & Biceps
Fri - Cardio - 20 mins on a treadmill followed by 10 mins on a rower.

Sat & Sunday I'm usually busy with the kids and that is enough exercise in itself!! But if I can go to the gym I will and just have a general workout with dips, pull-ups, abs etc or go for a swim

Diet is really important. At breakfast you need to avoid cereals as most are full of sugar. I tend to have porridge or sometimes weetabix. Also its worth changing to skimmed milk (red top), you will get used to the taste and every little change you make will help. You need to cut out all the rubbish carbs such as white bread, pastry, chips etc and go easy on the pasta. Instead of the bad carbs start eating stuff like basmatti rice, sweet potatoes, brown rice, jacket spuds as these are better for you and have a lower GI so wont pile the weight on. Bad carbs basically bloat you out. Another thing I did was give up booze which was easier than I thought. If you cant give it up completely cut down and and try not to drink too much beer, have vodka instead. Beer and wine pile on the calories, they dont call it a beer gut for nothing!

My daily menu would like something like this:

Breakfast - Porridge
Snack mid morning - handfull of nuts or a banana
Lunch - Tuna salad or chicken salad
Snack mid afternoon - Natural yoghurt, cottage cheese on a rivita
Dinner - Chicken/fish with loads of veg and brown rice.
After training - Protein shake

You can get loads more meal plans online, check out meal planners on maximuscle or buy a book such as the Abs diet or Body for life. Both those books are worth getting because they give workout programs and nutrition advice, you can pick them up on ebay for a couple of quid.

Once you get going with your diet and start losing a bit of weight you can ease up a bit and have the odd treat. I always eat what I want on a Saturday night!

Good luck, once you get into training and start seeing the benefits you wont look back. Since I started back in June I've lost two stone and my bodyfat has gone from 25% right down to 17%.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:31 pm

The phet plan :ayatollah:

Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:44 pm

In my 3rd week now, im just doing weights. Just doing weights, building my self up for the cardio :P

But i just cut out the shit, im not expecting to lose alot quickly as im doing weights

Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:53 pm

Logie wrote:In my 3rd week now, im just doing weights. Just doing weights, building my self up for the cardio :P

But i just cut out the shit, im not expecting to lose alot quickly as im doing weights

Low weight and high repetitions mate. It will fly off you. Also use a protein like casein before bed which is slow fueling and will aid muscle growth during rest. I have 3 meals now at around 300 calories and 3 smoothies in between of meals made up of vegetables and fruits I wouldn't normally eat as whole foods. The fruit usually means it tastes nice. Also put a scoop of protein in them. Sometimes they work out and taste nice, sometimes they don't but its trial and error and a bit of fun in the process as well. A blender was one of the best things I ever bought health wise.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:56 pm

yea as the others said one of the main things to cut down on is bread it bloats your stomach out ,and cut down on wheat products.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:56 pm

bluebird1977 wrote:The phet plan :ayatollah:

:lol: :lol:

Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:59 pm

clenbuterol.

diamond labs eca 30+

plenty of cardio + weight training.

plenty of water.

low carb high protein.

1000 cals under maintenance level.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:01 pm

When I moved to Canada last April I was just over 13 stone, in 2 months I was down to 10 1/2 stone. I did this by eating smaller portions, cutting out bread and alcohol and eating healthier, brown rice, more fruit a veg and drinking at least 2 litres of water a day. Since then my weight hasn't changed and I didn't exercise and haven't since (but that's mainly down to a torn Achillies tendon and gastrox tear! I hope this helps mate, I feel so much better since the weight has come off and I didn't realise how big I had gotten until I look back at photos now! Good luck :ayatollah:

Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:11 pm

It really is calories in vs calories out. Have tried a few options myself, low carb high protien etc. However found the best result was to eat a sensible balanced diet and do a variety of exercises. It is impossible to count calories exactly, just be realistic and give yourself a treat at the weekends, otherwise you'll only crave for it.
Good luck fella :malky:

Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:26 pm

Good luck pal.

Starting is the hardest bit.

My wife has lost a stone and a half in 3 months with little exercise, mainly table tennis.

She does slimming world and eats more than she used to but better food - fruit, veg, cut off fat from meat etc. She also gets weighed every week and says that's a real incentive to lose a pound.

I'm waiting for the motivation to kick in before I start.

Exercise tip: do 40 Ayatollahs twice a day while doing a star jump!

Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:32 pm

I find weights are the best thing. I have lost 8 pounds in the last 3 weeks just by doing weights and sorting out my diet. I've cut most carbohydrates, intake loads of protein and only drink water of green lid milk. Nothing better than the burn you feel after a good session of weight lifting.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:40 pm

HeFilmsTheClouds wrote:I find weights are the best thing. I have lost 8 pounds in the last 3 weeks just by doing weights and sorting out my diet. I've cut most carbohydrates, intake loads of protein and only drink water of green lid milk. Nothing better than the burn you feel after a good session of weight lifting.

isnt milk filled with carbs ?

Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:40 pm

Gotta be the Atkins--Just eat Meat--Bacon- Chicken Pork a smuch as you want with Cheese and Eggs --No Bread No Chips rice crisps sweets etc

even have about 4 bottles of Bud/stella a night -- --bit of excercise and Bingo

Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:48 pm

tubby1927 wrote:Hi guys just started back in gym as im carrying way to much timber what would be most effective way to lose weight and tone up ive obviously cut way back on the beer and no kebabs, burgers etc, help be appriciated

Cut down/out on carbohydrates for 2 months . Weigh yourself and let me know how it goes :)

Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:54 pm

samdm94 wrote:
HeFilmsTheClouds wrote:I find weights are the best thing. I have lost 8 pounds in the last 3 weeks just by doing weights and sorting out my diet. I've cut most carbohydrates, intake loads of protein and only drink water of green lid milk. Nothing better than the burn you feel after a good session of weight lifting.

isnt milk filled with carbs ?

Depends on which variety you buy. I don't drink milk a lot so it doesn't really have much impact. Before I would be eating a stupid amount of carbs per day but now I'm taking in around 25 grams maximum. Its pretty much close to the Atkins diet but not as strict and having to make up the difference by doing weights. I also don't have milk in my tea as I drink green tea only.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:59 pm

What's worked for me is regular swimming & cardio and switching my eating habits about.

I eat fruit/salads throughout the day in work, and eat at night with the fatty foods I can't bare to give up :lol: I don't eat after 8/9 either as it doesn't work as well with the metabolism.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:50 pm

Doesn't matter what time of the day you eat, its just calories in v calories out. If you work out in the evenings, then you need some food afterwards to help the muscles heal and grow (everytime you work a muscle it tears a little each time to get bigger) Breakfast is most important as you need a metabolism kick start in the morning after roughly 8 hours of no food.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Mafor wrote:Gotta be the Atkins--Just eat Meat--Bacon- Chicken Pork a smuch as you want with Cheese and Eggs --No Bread No Chips rice crisps sweets etc

even have about 4 bottles of Bud/stella a night -- --bit of excercise and Bingo

Don't you have to watch the calorie count at all with Atkins?