Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

city 1968 -70

Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:19 am

I myself can remember watching City against ARSENAL in the FA Cup and HAMBURG in ECWC with Crowds of 50,000 plus
could hardly breathe let alone move..fantastic atmosphere

I believe those crowd volumes aren t around anymore but when we hit the premier we may hit 40k if we get the big boys
but our new stadium cant cope with that..is 35 k the tops in our new stadium or is there a provision for increasing it further?

Re: city 1968 -70

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:55 am

I remember too as a 11 year old I can recall after the game trying to go one direction when the vast majority was going the other was hard work. :ayatollah:

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:25 am

went to both of those matches too. There were 51000 at the Arsenal game and you couldn't breathe. We went out at half time for a P and couldn't get back into the Grange End for love nor money becasuse the crowd were jammed so tight near the edge, ended up listening to the second half... it finished 0-0 and we lost the replay. I also remember we had 35k at Ninian for a Hereford match in the old 3rd division, it was a promotion battle at the time, their star player was Dixie Dean, can't remember who won but I'm pretty sure we went up in the end.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:32 am

JayCee wrote:went to both of those matches too. There were 51000 at the Arsenal game and you couldn't breathe. We went out at half time for a P and couldn't get back into the Grange End for love nor money becasuse the crowd were jammed so tight near the edge, ended up listening to the second half... it finished 0-0 and we lost the replay. I also remember we had 35k at Ninian for a Hereford match in the old 3rd division, it was a promotion battle at the time, their star player was Dixie Dean, can't remember who won but I'm pretty sure we went up in the end.

We beat Hereford 2-0, I believe. I had to listen on the radio as I had broken my leg playing rugby 2 weeks earlier.

I was at that Arsenal game in the old enclosure. I thought George Graham had scored for them but it had hit the side netting. Great to remember the atmosphere, but it looked bloody dangerous in some places!

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:48 am

Goalscorers vs Hereford were Livermore and Alan Campbell[/b][/u] it's an omen I tell you. Remember getting the train back to Barry after this one Health and Safety nowadays would have a fit!! :ayatollah:

Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:03 pm

kimble wrote:I myself can remember watching City against ARSENAL in the FA Cup and HAMBURG in ECWC with Crowds of 50,000 plus
could hardly breathe let alone move..fantastic atmosphere

I believe those crowd volumes aren t around anymore but when we hit the premier we may hit 40k if we get the big boys
but our new stadium cant cope with that..is 35 k the tops in our new stadium or is there a provision for increasing it further?

I was at both those games, amazing times, I was about 18 or 19 then, those were the days. :)