Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff City in the 80's Atmosphere & mad days

Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:26 pm

No matter what anyone says on big matches, no matter what the size of crowds were Ninian Park was electric, yes those days are gone for ever but they still are part of our history and memories for those that were there.

Atmosphere Electric

Cardiff 3 Chelsea 3 What an Atmosphere, well worth watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-9-folWUlE

Trouble

Cardiff fans on the Bob Bank v Swansea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ4OuhH1PZg

Cardiff C v Swansea 1980

Amazing John Buchanan I will never forget stood on the corner of the Bob Bank, next to the Grange end full of Jacks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOvrAXaZKfg

Cardiff fans how passionate we once were

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxNekjfR27o :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: Cardiff City in the 80's Atmosphere & mad days

Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:52 pm

that coppers having one aint he :lol:

Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:54 pm

Quality, absolute quality. Would our club have mugged off by a clueless foreigner in those days? NO

Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:29 pm

When I talk about Buchanans goal I always think I exaggerate it over time, but when you see it again, you KNOW you remembered it as it was. :ayatollah:

Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:45 pm

It could be electric no doubt and I loved it. CCS only comes close on occasions eg. Leicester. Ninian was dire too though at times in mid late 80s and parts of 90s.

I remember a friend walking past one time during a game and he didn't believe a match wad on as it was so quiet. Only 3000 there mind.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:13 pm

memories that will stay with me for ever :old:

Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:14 pm

16silverhillbobbank wrote:Quality, absolute quality. Would our club have mugged off by a clueless foreigner in those days? NO

Your right,in those days we had british born directors who took the piss.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:33 pm

Or left the cash in the safe over the weekend after a big game ....Hmmm as Annis would say

Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:34 pm

I remember that game very well, i had a new addidas jacket for that game and as i got off the bus outside Ninian a Chelsea lad shouted theres one of their boys and had a few diggs :lol: as i made my way to the Bob Bank. I have never seen an away support so big at Ninian loads of Chelsea going into the Grandstand and more shocking to me was that there were girls with them :o wearing fila and tacchinni, never seen that before.
Mad in the Bob Bank that day and wild outside after the game. i dont remember if it was the same year but the away game we got soaked and at the end of the game a city fan jumped out of their end onto the pitch and i think had a shirt or scarf under his jacket ? Was anyone else there that day ? was it a scarf or shirt ?
All i can remember is what a mad man he was :lol:

Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:47 pm

Just watching the Chelsea game. I was 11 at the time and in the Grandstand Block E with my Dad, my best mate and his dad. I had seen a few fights at the football (Pompey earlier that season) but this was absolutely terrifying. 30 year on i can still remember the fear. We went 3 up and we were surrounded by Chelsea who were everywhere that day and i did not celebrate any of the goals! The only other time I've not celebrated was an away game at Bristol Rovers but i was in their end at the time!

From memory we were 3 up until the 85th minute and the ref gave them a last minute penalty for a Dave Tong handball (ball had hit his chest!) to make it 3all.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:26 pm

That Chelsea game was mental. Chelsea had huge numbers, I think there was 10K at the game probably 6K was Chelsea. They were quiet as anything all game until 3-2 - Then "1 man went...." sounded throughout the ground, was I scared - christ yes.

Chased down NP road thank god I was 15 and fit as a butchers dog as i didn't stop running until central station. At the market some older blokes pulled a stanley on my group, "Your having it, you Chelsea xxxts", we are Cardiff I cried (literally).... Too well dressed apparently !!!

Looking back at it,no, I never want to go back to that...... was that the last time Chelski played in the second tier.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:51 pm

What the blazes, where is the end of the match ???

Was at the game as a 10 year old with my dad, and we left when it was 3-2 as it was getting a bit hairy, now i know i'll never seen the controversial late panalty award !!!

Also, when did footer fans stop singing 'here we go', simpler times...

Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:56 pm

That last video Annis posted is my favourite Vid on the whole of You Tube! Those days, those feelings of leaping all over the place, climbing, screaming, the madness on the terraces I loved it but sadly probably gone forever. :cry:

Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:56 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:Just watching the Chelsea game. I was 11 at the time and in the Grandstand Block E with my Dad, my best mate and his dad. I had seen a few fights at the football (Pompey earlier that season) but this was absolutely terrifying. 30 year on i can still remember the fear. We went 3 up and we were surrounded by Chelsea who were everywhere that day and i did not celebrate any of the goals! The only other time I've not celebrated was an away game at Bristol Rovers but i was in their end at the time!

From memory we were 3 up until the 85th minute and the ref gave them a last minute penalty for a Dave Tong handball (ball had hit his chest!) to make it 3all.

Yes remember it well ... Pretty mental during and after the game . They were going for promotion if my memory serves me correctly .
I suspect we will be taking those numbers to away games come end of seson should we still be in our current position. :malky:

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:02 pm

Almost too sad too watch
the times the celebrations started at the top and i ended up at the bottom, sometimes on the pitch
magic time, magic fans - new stadium not a scratch on ninian. mad, crasy days. keep the faith

Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:28 am

Annis, brilliant days to watch Footie, Ninian Park brilliant :ayatollah: :old: :ayatollah:

Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:54 pm

The Chelsea following that day was huge, they were everywhere! One of the biggest away supports I can remember during my time. The only other game I can remember with away support like that at Ninian Park was Sunderland, cant say exactly what the year was, I know it was few years before the Chelsea game, as I was quite young and went to the game with my Old Man.

if I remember rightly they were going for promotion and needed a result on the day, Cant be sure, but I think " Pop" Robson was playing for them.

I remember getting off the bus on Sloper Road and it was just a sea of Red & White! anyone else remember this ?

Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:53 am

Ha ha it was good watching that, different times when, hardly any women, and not many kids went, when most of the men had a right good drink (ok that hasn't changed as much :lol: ) and Earnie was good......

I would love ust to go back to terraces in the future, maybe the german safe standing model could work, somehow though I don't the powers that be in this country will give it a chance....