Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: do you think long term injured players should be paid in

Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:31 pm

Barry Chuckle wrote:
You know Michael Johnson personally, do you? Otherwise you've just assumed a lot of that.

Why not add in the mental issues that he suffered? Or the depression?

I'm not defending him, just feel that if you're going to use an example, you should tell the full story, not just the bits that help your point come across better.

Again, so quick to jump down peoples throats. Do some research, you'll see numerous articles of him out on the lash at a time when he was injured. Its bad what has happened to him but there is no doubt some of it is his own doing. Although I believe the club may have neglected him to some degree due to the influx of foreign players thanks to heavy investment there is no doubt about the fact he also had a part to play in his own downfall.

ScottCcfc27 wrote:
JBCCFC1927 wrote:No.

They should get 75% if they earn over a certain amount/certain age which is enough for their needs and then 25% should go to grassroots football. This would be a fairer distribution to be honest.

Some will disagree but footballers who are on over £40,000 after tax should get £30,000 and £10,000 per week of their injury should go to grassroots. This would help the youth level so much.

So do you believe that when you go on the sick long term, that 25% of your pay goes to a charity or would you want the full pay?

Ridiculous statement, if their contract states they get full pay then, they get full pay.

No but I also don't earn over £40, 000 per week. If I did I would happily donate some of it during a time of injury to grass roots. I would probably be happy to give money away on a regular basis to grass roots to get it going, no different to Bellamy investing in Sierra Leone.

If I was self employed I wouldn't get paid for time I was ill. I would have had to save enough for a rainy day. I don't see whats wrong with footballers losing £10,000 per week out of an already massive salary to help younger generations. I don't care if they are contracted to a sum so they should get it, legalities and moralities are two different things entirely and do not always see eye to eye.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:35 pm

BEAKERBLUE wrote:
Barry Chuckle wrote:Yes. Just like everyone else gets sick pay.

Well not everyone gets paid in full,working people go the sick and they dont get paid in full only ssp

I don't get paid on the sick :cry:

Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:00 pm

Most football clubs have insurance to cover injuries not sure whether anyone can confirm whether city do or not though? I would think all clubs would take out insurance otherwise it's throwing money down the drain

Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:02 pm

Well as the employer has a duty of especially if the injury was caused in a match or training.

The outcome of the risk assessment would be interesting.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:02 pm

JBCCFC1927 wrote:
Barry Chuckle wrote:
You know Michael Johnson personally, do you? Otherwise you've just assumed a lot of that.

Why not add in the mental issues that he suffered? Or the depression?

I'm not defending him, just feel that if you're going to use an example, you should tell the full story, not just the bits that help your point come across better.

Again, so quick to jump down peoples throats. Do some research, you'll see numerous articles of him out on the lash at a time when he was injured. Its bad what has happened to him but there is no doubt some of it is his own doing. Although I believe the club may have neglected him to some degree due to the influx of foreign players thanks to heavy investment there is no doubt about the fact he also had a part to play in his own downfall.

ScottCcfc27 wrote:
JBCCFC1927 wrote:No.

They should get 75% if they earn over a certain amount/certain age which is enough for their needs and then 25% should go to grassroots football. This would be a fairer distribution to be honest.

Some will disagree but footballers who are on over £40,000 after tax should get £30,000 and £10,000 per week of their injury should go to grassroots. This would help the youth level so much.

So do you believe that when you go on the sick long term, that 25% of your pay goes to a charity or would you want the full pay?

Ridiculous statement, if their contract states they get full pay then, they get full pay.

No but I also don't earn over £40, 000 per week. If I did I would happily donate some of it during a time of injury to grass roots. I would probably be happy to give money away on a regular basis to grass roots to get it going, no different to Bellamy investing in Sierra Leone.

If I was self employed I wouldn't get paid for time I was ill. I would have had to save enough for a rainy day. I don't see whats wrong with footballers losing £10,000 per week out of an already massive salary to help younger generations. I don't care if they are contracted to a sum so they should get it, legalities and moralities are two different things entirely and do not always see eye to eye.

To be honest I would rather the clubs themselves to give the money to the grassroots. If they can afford those wages then they can certainly put their money elsewhere

Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:03 pm

Not at all James, challenging your assumptions of him, that's all. Do some research yourself, he also suffered mental issues. There are 2 sides to every story. :)

Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:41 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
BEAKERBLUE wrote:

Well not everyone gets paid in full,working people go the sick and they dont get paid in full only ssp

I don't get paid on the sick :cry:

I do 6 months full pay then 6 months half pay up until a year :ayatollah:

Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:06 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:
kingdong wrote:Of course they should be paid full.

If you was injured in work what would you do?

The point was long term injuries. I doubt many people on civvy street get paid after 6 months sick

My point was if they get injured in work doing there job.

What would happen is anybody else got injured in work?

Should the players get paid if they get a red card is a better question because they basically can't do the job they are paid to do.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:23 pm

i get statutory sick pay.....nothing else,never have in 30 odd years of work :ayatollah: