Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Simon Lappin last signing this month?

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:00 am

hope not

Cardiff City look to complete January signings with Simon Lappin capture

Jan 22 2013

Cardiff City will look to sign Simon Lappin

CARDIFF CITY boss Malky Mackay will complete his business in the January transfer window by trying to sign defender Simon Lappin, WalesOnline understands.

The 29-year-old had a loan spell with the Bluebirds at the end of last year making two Championship appearances before returning to parent club Norwich City in the new year..

He has now been released by the Canaries after six years at Carrow Road and Mackay will look to seal a permanent deal for the left-back as his table-topping Bluebirds look to gain promotion to the Premier League with 18 games of the season left..

Mackay, currently with his squad at a training camp in Dubai, refused to comment on individual targets, but did confirm a defender would most likely be his final signing before the transfer window slams shut at the end of this month.

The Bluebirds' boss admitted his priorities had been changed slightly by the emergence of young centre-half Ben Nugent who came off the bench once more in Cardiff's victory at Blackpool on the weekend.

If Mackay can secure Lappin it would mean he will have added two players to his squad this month with striker, Fraizer Campbell, signing yesterday from Sunderland for an initial fee of £600,00.

"If we see something that can give us some defensive cover then we will do something, but if we don't, I won't," said Mackay.

"The main target this transfer window was to go and try and get an extra forward in that was going to add quality and I think we have done that with Fraizer. If it comes up fine, if it doesn't so be it.

"Young Nugent has come in and done incredibly well so that's something for me to think about."

Re: Simon Lappin last signing this month?

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:01 am

Always Blue wrote:http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballnation/football-news/2013/01/22/cardiff-city-look-to-complete-january-signings-with-simon-lappin-capture-91466-32652590/ hope not

f**k simon lapping you nicked my forum avatar its my copyrite, how many more are going to steal my shit :shock:
On another note i think he will sign soon but we got a left back ready who i rate better than taylor already :ayatollah:
Last edited by Bluebird1977 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:02 am

Oh dear god! I can't believe Malky is signing him when Declan John, a much better left back is ready to step in if needed.

Absolute joke if he is. He's not even a bloody LB, he's a makeshift LB, he's too old to change as well. We need a left sided Connolly

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Oh dear god! I can't believe Malky is signing him when Declan John, a much better left back is ready to step in if needed.

too hard to judge surely?

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:09 am

Apparently young Ben turner came off the bench as well.

How do these people have jobs

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:11 am

paulh_85 wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Oh dear god! I can't believe Malky is signing him when Declan John, a much better left back is ready to step in if needed.

I've seen John play more than Lappin and John reminds me of Taylor but with a lot more pace, plus he has many years ahead of him to improve. He usually looks the stand out player in development games. From the twice I've seen Lappin play on the other hand, he looks erratic to say the least. I don't trust him in possession and I certainly don't trust him defensively when he's making mistakes, flying into tackles and getting sent off!

As said above, Lappin looks more of a left midfielder. There is a huge difference in talent between John, who in my opinion will become a future Premiership left back, and Lappin. I know John is only 17, but Southampton's Shaw doesn't look out of place as a 17 year old left back. As they say, if they're good enough, they're old enough. It surprises me because Malky usually isn't afraid to play youngsters if they're good enough either.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:19 am

Only a squad full back we need, he'll do for me

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:20 am

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

I've seen John play more than Lappin and John reminds me of Taylor but with a lot more pace, plus he has many years ahead of him to improve. He usually looks the stand out player in development games. From the twice I've seen Lappin play on the other hand, he looks erratic to say the least. I don't trust him in possession and I certainly don't trust him defensively when he's making mistakes, flying into tackles and getting sent off!

As said above, Lappin looks more of a left midfielder. There is a huge difference in talent between John, who in my opinion will become a future Premiership left back, and Lappin. I know John is only 17, but Southampton's Shaw doesn't look out of place as a 17 year old left back. As they say, if they're good enough, they're old enough. It surprises me because Malky usually isn't afraid to play youngsters if they're good enough either.

John and Conway have a good firm understanding, watching the Development SW derby they linked up so well, he plays so maturely and calm, hopefully he doesn't get blinded by things and keeps his feet firmly on the ground. I think Malky doesn't want to use as many players from the youth system this season (Bar Nugent) because of how vital this season is. A shame really, I really rate John

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:25 am

I Bleed Blue wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

John and Conway have a good firm understanding, watching the Development SW derby they linked up so well, he plays so maturely and calm, hopefully he doesn't get blinded by things and keeps his feet firmly on the ground. I think Malky doesn't want to use as many players from the youth system this season (Bar Nugent) because of how vital this season is. A shame really, I really rate John

I totally agree. John has a calmness and maturity about him that belies his years and he looks a very talented footballing left back, with a good engine. The goal he set up at Macclesfield shows how much pace he has and how dangerous he can be overlapping, and he regularly does this in the development games. I'm sure Malky will keep talking to John, like he does with every player and keep his feet firmly on the ground to blossom into a future Premiership and Wales left back.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:35 am

Declan John is a player I have known for years as my son played with him in the academy for many years I rate him very highly and fully expect him to be a big part of city going forward. I really don't think he is our answer at left back yet as he has really only converted to that position recently and is still learning the position
If he was in the first team he we need our center backs covering him and I think he would get exposed at this stage and that may stifle his development and confidence. I am positive he will be a great full back in time but he is only 17 and think many city fans are expecting to much at this stage

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:45 am

Milkybarkid wrote:Declan John is a player I have known for years as my son played with him in the academy for many years I rate him very highly and fully expect him to be a big part of city going forward. I really don't think he is our answer at left back yet as he has really only converted to that position recently and is still learning the position
If he was in the first team he we need our center backs covering him and I think he would get exposed at this stage and that may stifle his development and confidence. I am positive he will be a great full back in time but he is only 17 and think many city fans are expecting to much at this stage

To be honest I am only judging John on the handful of times I have watched him play. But comparing John's performances to Lappin's 2 appearances for us, I am absolutely stunned Malky has chosen to sign Lappin as every time I have seen John play, he has been very, very impressive indeed. I could also argue that as said above, Lappin is more of a left midfielder and our centre backs have had to cover his mistakes numerous times in the 2 games he's played for us. But hopefully, John will keep up these impressive performances and improve even further in the future.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:48 am

Experienced versatile back up, good signing for the run in.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:49 am

Has Malky signed Lappin - do we know that for sure, or are we taking Wales Online as gospel???

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:52 am

Wales online are putting 2 and 2 together again. If Malky wanted Lappin im pretty sure he would have got him when his loan expired, why would he wait until Norwich release him, im sure they would have given him to us for nothing if that was their plan. Lazy journalism from WOL im afraid

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:04 pm

Declan John is a player I have known for years as my son played with him in the academy for many years I rate him very highly and fully expect him to be a big part of city going forward. I really don't think he is our answer at left back yet as he has really only converted to that position recently and is still learning the position

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:10 pm

Can't really judge Lappin on what he played for us - I would judge him on what he has done before, like play in a promotion team, perhaps.

Our defence doesn't need a replacement defender - whatever the views on individual defenders, the back four have done a good job this season, and that is with Super Kev and the boy Nugent on the bench, so if we were to get another defender in I could see the sense of getting a player like Lappin - that would give us proper cover right across the back four, as well as emergency cover in John, Gunnar and Ralls.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:55 pm

i think malky will sign him imo

Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:11 pm

Gavlar wrote:Only a squad full back we need, he'll do for me

True - unless something happens to Taylor he isn't going to get much game time :ayatollah:

Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:46 pm

Declan john for me would do a job, much cheaper than lappin already thats for sure :ayatollah:

Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:48 pm

No brainer on a short term contract, seen up him at brum and he done a good job, unless malky already got someone better lined up he would be great cover.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:56 pm

A good squad player. I'm happy with it

Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:02 pm

Good job you're not the manager then!

Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:43 pm

kenfighillblue wrote:No brainer on a short term contract, seen up him at brum and he done a good job, unless malky already got someone better lined up he would be great cover.

100% agree with this :ayatollah:

Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:07 pm

He would be a pointless signing. He won't play and we'll let him go at the end of the season if we go up.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:21 pm

JonCCFC wrote:He would be a pointless signing. He won't play and we'll let him go at the end of the season if we go up.

What do we do if we don't sign him and Taylor gets injured?

Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:25 pm

Aramore wrote:
JonCCFC wrote:He would be a pointless signing. He won't play and we'll let him go at the end of the season if we go up.

Lee Naylor on a free??? :cry:

Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:27 pm

Lappin was solid at Brum, particularly considering how little he's played recently.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:57 pm

Is everyone expecting Marcelo or Phillip Lahm to sign? :lol: :lol: :lol:

He's a bloody squad player as backup if Taylor is injured! It's strength in depth and an experienced left sided player in the title run in. I'd rather have an experienced Championship defender who's proved he's soldi at LB than a youngster who's not proven at our level.

If Taylor gets injured, I'd be nervous with a young left back with no Championship experience in a title run in. A lot of pressure for him.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:01 pm

Aramore wrote:

I'm sure we could get someone better on loan til the end of the season. If it's going to be a short term contract then fair enough.