Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Perspective over the cost of the Campbell deal - comparison

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:42 am

If the figures are correct at wages of 30K and fee of 600K, Over 3 years.. Campbell will cost around 5.3m
Compare that with Maynard who we bought for 2.75m and lets say is on 15K.. over 3 years Maynard will have cost ..5.1m

thats roughly the same.. we were all pleased with the maynard transfer so whats the issue with Campbell?

To compare to some others (mainly guessing wages / fees from reports etc)..
Kimbo - around 2m? wages 15k? = 4.4m
Velikonja - around 1.5m? wages 10k? = 3.1m
Chops when we got him back from sunderland - 4m wages 20K? = 7.1m

I know we didnt have chops for the whole 3 year contract and there was some readjustment of money owed by sunderland but :-o

I know my numbers are a bit off but I think they paint the general picture and I think it is shrewd business imo, I would rate Campbell similar to Maynard, potentially better if he stays injury free and by that benchmark I'd say we did OKAY. Both have resale value too which to me seems the biggest difference between malky and jones in the transfer market - we are now buying players on the up.

Re: Perspective over the cost of the Campbell deal - compari

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:48 am

I'm very pleased with Campbell, relatively young if you consider he has been out for 15 months injured and played for England on his return from injury last year. Even though we paid 600k his real value now must be 3m as soon as he signed 3.5 year contract.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:53 am

The issue is our financial situation. We must be knocking on 120% of income being spent on wages alone now. That's disastrous in any business, especially football where the incomes are not the same every year. Campbell is tied into nearly a 4 year deal. If we are relegated next year, which lets face it will be the most likely outcome given previous records regarding newly promoted sides - we are in so much trouble it's not even funny.

I had an issue with the kimbo deal, the Velikonja deal and the Maynard deal not to mention Bellamy and his £1million promotion bonus.

Let me take you back to when Tan took over. people were allowing it because they were worried about the £70m debt and wanted a financially stable club to go forward with, the emphasis in tans speech was cutting expenditure. Since then it's been anything but, wages have gone through the roof, almost without care, transfer fees have been fluttered around and the debt according to some has nearly doubled, and all charged to the club with interest! Surely if people were worried then they must be out of their mind now? But no, quite the opposite.

In my opinion people are forgetting the real underlying issue with the impending excitement of seeing some big clubs, completely forgetting everyone accepted the rebrand to be financially stable - not to risk the future of the club for what could be a season in the Prem.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:14 am

Cryogenic freezing wrote:The issue is our financial situation. We must be knocking on 120% of income being spent on wages alone now. That's disastrous in any business, especially football where the incomes are not the same every year. Campbell is tied into nearly a 4 year deal. If we are relegated next year, which lets face it will be the most likely outcome given previous records regarding newly promoted sides - we are in so much trouble it's not even funny.

I had an issue with the kimbo deal, the Velikonja deal and the Maynard deal not to mention Bellamy and his £1million promotion bonus.

Let me take you back to when Tan took over. people were allowing it because they were worried about the £70m debt and wanted a financially stable club to go forward with, the emphasis in tans speech was cutting expenditure. Since then it's been anything but, wages have gone through the roof, almost without care, transfer fees have been fluttered around and the debt according to some has nearly doubled, and all charged to the club with interest! Surely if people were worried then they must be out of their mind now? But no, quite the opposite.

In my opinion people are forgetting the real underlying issue with the impending excitement of seeing some big clubs, completely forgetting everyone accepted the rebrand to be financially stable - not to risk the future of the club for what could be a season in the Prem.

stop being a drama queen. im sure VT has a plan. he's not going to plough all this money in if he thinks its pointless. weve come on leaps and bounds since he's been here. leave the financial side to him and concentrate on the team as a fan. well that is if you are a fan of course as with you im pretty sure your not.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:19 am

Cardiff Daft! wrote:
Cryogenic freezing wrote:The issue is our financial situation. We must be knocking on 120% of income being spent on wages alone now. That's disastrous in any business, especially football where the incomes are not the same every year. Campbell is tied into nearly a 4 year deal. If we are relegated next year, which lets face it will be the most likely outcome given previous records regarding newly promoted sides - we are in so much trouble it's not even funny.

stop being a drama queen. im sure VT has a plan. he's not going to plough all this money in if he thinks its pointless. weve come on leaps and bounds since he's been here. leave the financial side to him and concentrate on the team as a fan. well that is if you are a fan of course as with you im pretty sure your not.

A drama queen? :lol:

That's such a ridiculous thing to say. What's the point in having a good team if your a mess off it? It's attitudes like that which make clubs spend more than they can afford and end up like rangers. Do you think they are drama queens?

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:25 am

Cryogenic freezing wrote:
Cardiff Daft! wrote:

A drama queen? :lol:

That's such a ridiculous thing to say. What's the point in having a good team if your a mess off it? It's attitudes like that which make clubs spend more than they can afford and end up like rangers. Do you think they are drama queens?

how is it ridiculous? what im saying is VT is no mug. he got where he is today by being a very clever buisnessman. we are in safe hands even if he is changing the club to suit him. it might look a bit of a mess financially right now but like i said im sure VT has a plan. so il leave the buisness side to him and enjoy the ride as a fan of Cardiff City FC.

what is us worrying about the finances really going to achieve? in my opinion, the same as not worrying about the finances. so why bother worrying if its not going to make a damn difference.

if your worrying then your a drama queen. if your not worrying as your not really a fan then your a troll.

so troll or drama queen, which one are you?

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:59 am

Another Jack pretending to be a city fan. Made yet another account...

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:14 pm

Definition of a man with serious issues=Someone that posts a reply to his own post.