Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Cardiff City wage bill

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:56 am

caerdydd_78 wrote:You are very sad.... Roath magic, or what ever your new name is, please take your negative, opinionated views and go and speak your lingo on Planet Swans....

If you don't like my opinion, come with a counter opinion or ignore me - not difficult.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:04 am

Just stating what I read in the (op) which is the premise to this whole debate so far.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:12 am

Glanced at the first sentence and was immediately bored. I would worry about your own wage bill, or the lack of it if I were you, you swivelling little tw*t. Yawn.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:26 am

PowerOfPigeons wrote:After reading Carl's assesmemt that 30k a week over 3 and a half years is "shrewd business" I realised how out of touch people have become regarding the well being of our club.

30k a week over 3 and a half years is a contract worth £5 million :shock: this is on a player that has had to drop down to the championship as he didnt make the cut in the Premier league. We have other high earners, Bellamy, Velikonja, Kim bo kyung, whittingham etc etc

The rumours regarding our debt being as high as £120 million are terrifying, with annis himself saying he believes they are over the £100m mark. It certainly looks good for us to be promoted now being 10 points clear but the premier league does not bring the riches most people assume as expenditure rises almost to the same rate as income rises. If we are paying the likes of Campbell and Bellamy 30k in the championship, I dread to think what our wage bill will be like in the prem.

It's certainly not a safe module to go about things, if we get relegated next year which we will be amongst the favourites to do that - we could be in the worst position this club has ever been in, yet people seem happy just to get the one season of prem football?

Cambell is on 30k a week...we got him for what- 650k?

We got him cheap because he's run down his contract. If he is a success then we could expect 5M + for him?

Shrewd business.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:54 am

Charmedimsure wrote:
caerdydd_78 wrote:You are very sad.... Roath magic, or what ever your new name is, please take your negative, opinionated views and go and speak your lingo on Planet Swans....

If you don't like my opinion, come with a counter opinion or ignore me - not difficult.

Was I talking to you.... or is there more alias names????

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:55 am

caerdydd_78 wrote:
Charmedimsure wrote:

I assume so, you quoted me.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:58 am

Cryogenic freezing wrote:
caerdydd_78 wrote:
Charmedimsure wrote:

Unless you an alias of the original poster, I didn't quote anyone, simply replied to the original poster.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:00 am

caerdydd_78 wrote:
caerdydd_78 wrote:
Charmedimsure wrote:

Unless you an alias of the original poster, I didn't quote anyone, simply replied to the original poster.

Yep another "alias" if you wish to call it that. Although its all the same person, same view same computer - just a new unbanned username.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:03 am

Pete isn't on anywhere near 30k, get your facts right.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:04 am

cecilccfc wrote:Pete isn't on anywhere near 30k, get your facts right.

Who's Pete and where did I say he was on 30k?

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:18 am

I think its safe to say the wage bill could cripple us if we go up and straight back done. Depends on length of contracts that players are on thats why some clubs have struggled when coming back down not shrewd enough on contracts and left to pay the price. Its a fickle game we go down and prob lots of plastic fans wont renew.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:18 am

i agree, i was thinking the same, if we go up we will be fav to come back down, and if we do come down we are in big trouble! like charlton, portsmouth, leeds a few seasons ago... we could be the next team in trouble with our wage bill and massive debt.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:22 am

rhyswales wrote:i agree, i was thinking the same, if we go up we will be fav to come back down, and if we do come down we are in big trouble! like charlton, portsmouth, leeds a few seasons ago... we could be the next team in trouble with our wage bill and massive debt.

Absolutely, and our debt figure to income figure is far far worse than any of the clubs you mention above.

People are urging me to rejoice and stop worrying, when looking at the facts it's very hard to.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:25 am

rhyswales wrote:i agree, i was thinking the same, if we go up we will be fav to come back down, and if we do come down we are in big trouble! like charlton, portsmouth, leeds a few seasons ago... we could be the next team in trouble with our wage bill and massive debt.

Absolutely, and our debt figure to income figure is far far worse than any of the clubs you mention above.

People are urging me to rejoice and stop worrying, when looking at the facts it's very hard to.

What's the solution then?

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:46 am

Gavlar wrote:

He hasn't got one

You win Gav

:laughing6:

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:47 am

This article covers the issues being debated here :ayatollah:

Currently relegated clubs get £48m over four seasons (£16m in the first two seasons, £8m in the next two – payments cease if they go back up) . This contrasts with the £2.1m annual "solidarity payment" every other Championship club receives from the Premier League. Given that the Football League's own hand-out from central funds (primarily the fruits of TV and sponsorship income) is only £1.8m following a decline in the value of the Football League's TV deal, the parachute payments would seem to create an uneven playing field.

It looked that way last season when three of the four clubs in the promotion play-offs had received payments, including eventual winners West Ham. But if that suggested they do skew the competition, it is very different this season. Seven Championship clubs receive the payments (it would be nine, but West Ham are no longer eligible and Portsmouth are in League One). Only Hull City are in the top 10.

One of those clubs in receipt of payments is 12th-placed Burnley. They get £8m, having been relegated in 2010. Last season they received £12m and came 13th. Lee Hoos, the Burnley chief executive, said the payments are absolutely crucial.

"In theory they should be an advantage," he said, "but the reality of the Premier League is that you have an extremely high wage bill and even if you have relegation clauses with a 50 per cent cut written in, it is not enough [to balance the books] because the drop off in revenue is so great. If clubs did not receive parachute payments they would not just be at a competitive disadvantage, it could tip them over the edge [into administration]."

The obvious response is that it is the clubs' fault for spending so recklessly in the Premier League. Hoos accepted that clubs should be more responsible but said "when you are promoted the club and the fans want to compete, yet you have to pay these wages to have any hope in hell of competing. You are up against clubs with massive budgets. It means if you come down it is very difficult."

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:48 am

Absolutely no point in worrying. It will not help the club at all. Knowing Roath Magic is sitting at home shaking like a freezing leaf on a tree, (with pigeons in, lol) is not going to assist the club at all.
What will be will be.
We are as much help to the club as Roathy is to this site. :?

Just enjoy the ride, or sit at home worrying. :D :D

:ayatollah:

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:59 am

Gavlar wrote:

Gavlar wrote:

The solution was there when Tan took over, admittedly it's not as simple now.

The club was £60m in debt then and people were very concerned about our debt levels, Tan came in and everyone bought the rebrand citing the need for financial security. For that reason we lost the blue, turned red, rumoured to lose the blue bird next year and the debt has now reportedly doubled. But people aren't as worried any more as they are excited to see Rooney et al, even if the financial situation has worsened dramatically.

For any business losing money, it's as simple as spending less than you earn. We earn around £15m per year yet our wage bill alone is upwards of £18m, that's without adding the other expenses of running a club come into it. For this reason we are losing £24 million a year - which is a terrifying stay no matter which side of the fence you sit on.

Selling the high earners and gaining capital plus the reduction in wages should definately have taken place to allow e club to breathe with the goal to become self sufficient. Spending less than whats coming in is key. If promoted, or when, as it seems - this wont going to stop. Yes income will quadruple but so will expenditure. And kissing from the length of the Campbell deal, expenditure that will continue to be present even if relegated and our income slashed by two thirds - taking into consideration parachute payments. Relegation remember is the most likel outcome next year, although its hard to say - its true, as a newly promoted club we will be amongst the favourites to go down and that stat is backed up historically not just at the bookmaker.

Yes people are excited about the impending promotion, but please don't castigate me for keeping my feet firmly on the ground and not losing sight of the real issue that's facing the club. The issue that everyone was concerned about 6 months ago and is still there now to an even worse degree as our spending continues - no gloss of seeing some famous players will appease that sorry.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:00 pm

i wish you were about during the final solution

#BOREOFF

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:04 pm

lol having a funny 5 minutes this guy :mrgreen:

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:06 pm

paulh_85 wrote:lol having a funny 5 minutes this guy :mrgreen:

Oh it's far from funny, ask Rangers.

By all means put your view across.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:08 pm

AskJeeves wrote:

You're never going to be accepted on here because we all know what a troll you are, just give up and go away. You know you're too easy to spot now.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:08 pm

Doesn't take RM long does it?

Tans vision is to broadcast the rebrand across China and the Far East. If he pulls it off then the income stream will be huge. Therefore keeping Cardiff City going will be a priority. RM has not taken that into account.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:13 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:Doesn't take RM long does it?

Tans vision is to broadcast the rebrand across China and the Far East. If he pulls it off then the income stream will be huge. Therefore keeping Cardiff City going will be a priority. RM has not taken that into account.

What are these revenue streams then?

As I've said Liverpool make £9 million from global shirt sales and they shift more shirts than 99% of top clubs in the top leagues around the world.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:15 pm

CraigCCFC wrote:
AskJeeves wrote:

You're never going to be accepted on here because we all know what a troll you are, just give up and go away. You know you're too easy to spot now.

My intention is not to be accepted, I have no desire to be. But I will exercise my right to have my say be it through one username or a million - it makes no difference to me.

PTBI (Gav isnt here)

Step up to the plate, the floor is yours!!

AskJeeves wrote:

As I've said Liverpool make £9 million from global shirt sales and they shift more shirts than 99% of top clubs in the top leagues around the world.

If you followed the club properly RM you would know. Its all part of Tans vision and if he pulls it off all your points above are pointless.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:16 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
AskJeeves wrote:

If you followed the club properly RM you would know. Its all part of Tans vision and if he pulls it off all your points above are pointless.

So what is Tans vision?

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:18 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
AskJeeves wrote:

Amen to this ^^^^

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:22 pm

So nobody really knows what this mythical vision is but are happy to go along with it knowing that if it doesn't work it will probably be the end to a club that's stood for more than a century?

I can't grasp that.