Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Question regarding limited liability

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:15 pm

How is the risk to a company with limited liability minimised in comparison to a sole trader?

Any help would be appreciated. :ayatollah:

Re: Question regarding limited liability

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:19 pm

How many usernames you using?

If you asked me 10 years ago I could have told you :lol:
My brain has lost that info due I alcohol abuse :lol:

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:20 pm

2blue2handle wrote:How many usernames you using?

2 :ayatollah: :lol:

Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:51 pm

An example would be, If your company fails as a sole trader, you are personally liable to pay the debts.

If the same thing happened as a limited company, you can't be pursued individually, only the assets of the company can be pursued.

That's right I believe...

Not sure if that makes sense?

Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:54 pm

You also get much better tax breaks as a ltd co

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:02 am

cheers for the information. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:08 am

All Black Everything. wrote:cheers for the information. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

No worries

Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:11 am

I'm guessing you're taking business studies a-level then, there's other things than limited liability, it allows investments to be made but only from people within the company an ltd is not allowed on the stock exchange like a plc. The disadvantage is that the owner will have less control over the company and therefore it's less 'manoeuvrable' than a sole trader. They also can be harder to set up and can cost legal fees and harder legislation than a sole trader. Most companies become plc's when they reach a certain size but others like Sony remain ltd's for the added control. They can also keep their accounts private to stop rival companies gaining the upper hand and don't have to listen to the demands of shareholders. That's pretty much all I can think of, generally they do tend to be the better companies aswell

Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:01 am

BanterLad115 wrote:I'm guessing you're taking business studies a-level then, there's other things than limited liability, it allows investments to be made but only from people within the company an ltd is not allowed on the stock exchange like a plc. The disadvantage is that the owner will have less control over the company and therefore it's less 'manoeuvrable' than a sole trader. They also can be harder to set up and can cost legal fees and harder legislation than a sole trader. Most companies become plc's when they reach a certain size but others like Sony remain ltd's for the added control. They can also keep their accounts private to stop rival companies gaining the upper hand and don't have to listen to the demands of shareholders. That's pretty much all I can think of, generally they do tend to be the better companies aswell

Computer Science at university but business module for web designers so it has to be quite in depth explanation. Cheers :ayatollah:

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:15 am

Right this is the low down

LLP or Limited liability partnerships have the same trading entity as a Limited Company for all intents and purposes ie the busines is an entity of its own and if it goes bust you dont lose your house

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:18 am

JBCCFC1927 wrote:

why? :?

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:04 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
JBCCFC1927 wrote:

why? :?

Why Not? Yoko's :old: