Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Lappin - free agent

Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:44 pm

Norwich released Lappin who was with us in Dec, now a free agent, will he be the defence back-up the MM referred to? I never saw him play, is he worth a punt (probably want good wages as no fee involved)

Re: Lappin - free agent

Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:44 pm

I'd say it's very likely we see him here on a short term deal very soon..

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:53 pm

He will be signed by the end of this week is the talk. Cant say i would want him mind, prefer to bring through the likes of John and Coulson

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:56 pm

Mmmm!

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:59 pm

I honestly would expect us to get a little better.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:00 pm

Midfielder Simon Lappin has left Norwich by mutual consent, the Premier League club have announced.

The 29-year-old, who played a significant role in the club achieving back-to-back promotions in recent seasons, has struggled to break into the Canaries first team since their elevation to the Premier League in 2011.

The Scot has played just twice for Norwich this season and has spent time on loan at Cardiff.

Norwich boss Chris Hughton told the club's website: "In my time at the football club, Simon's application and attitude has been excellent, and I would like to wish him all the very best for the future."

Lappin arrived at Carrow Road in 2007 from St Mirren and went on to make 126 appearances for the Canaries.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:00 pm

I think he's perfect for what we want. A good standard of back up that's won promotion before.

He will be here by the end of the transfer window. :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:10 pm

Barry Chuckle wrote:I think he's perfect for what we want. A good standard of back up that's won promotion before.

Short deal would be brilliant. I'm not the biggest fan but just until the run in if we need back up.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:12 pm

From what I've seen of Declan John, I think he looks a much better left back than Lappin, so I really don't see the point in signing Lappin. If we could bring in a better left back than Lappin, that's fair enough, but to bring in someone who's worse than Declan John would be pointless imo.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:14 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:
Barry Chuckle wrote:I think he's perfect for what we want. A good standard of back up that's won promotion before.

Short deal would be brilliant. I'm not the biggest fan but just until the run in if we need back up.

Agree with you both - short deal until the end of the season as back up...to a player who has not had much game time,but has worked with our squad this season.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:15 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:
DandoCCFC wrote:

Agree with you both - short deal until the end of the season as back up...to a player who has not had much game time,but has worked with our squad this season.

Considering I just thought of how tough it is to bring in a great fullback etc.. it would be ideal and not to much of a cost.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:17 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:From what I've seen of Declan John, I think he looks a much better left back than Lappin, so I really don't see the point in signing Lappin. If we could bring in a better left back than Lappin, that's fair enough, but to bring in someone who's worse than Declan John would be pointless imo.

I'd agree but it's a big jump to do it regularly. If style got injured I'd be quite happy for him to fill in temporarily, but for a longer stretch, it could be tough on him.

Same with Nugent, happy for him to come on like he did Saturday, or play the odd game, but wouldn't be so sure about him doing a run of 10-12 games.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:19 pm

Barry Chuckle wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:From what I've seen of Declan John, I think he looks a much better left back than Lappin, so I really don't see the point in signing Lappin. If we could bring in a better left back than Lappin, that's fair enough, but to bring in someone who's worse than Declan John would be pointless imo.

I'd agree but it's a big jump to do it regularly. If style got injured I'd be quite happy for him to fill in temporarily, but for a longer stretch, it could be tough on him.

Same with Nugent, happy for him to come on like he did Saturday, or play the odd game, but wouldn't be so sure about him doing a run of 10-12 games.

I actually thought he deserved a start after Barnsley.. But if needed then MM will use him. :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:29 pm

Barry Chuckle wrote:

Agreed, but I really don't rate Lappin at all and although he might have the odd good game, I would argue it would also be a big jump for Lappin to fill in for a longer stretch without letting us down as I really don't rate him. If Taylor got injured for the rest of this season and you gave me the choice of either Lappin or John filling in for the remainder of this season, I would go for John. I think John would overall, perform better than Lappin if they were both given a regular run from now until the end of the season.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:29 pm

Lappin reminds me of a DJ loan signing - an 'ok' prem player who has not played all season. He was rusty for us.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:49 pm

CityGent wrote:Mmmm!

Spill the beans!

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:06 am

norwich fans seem to love him,maybe he wa rusty with us?

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:26 am

Worth a 6 month deal, he's decent cover but not first 11 material

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:29 am

Blue Tit wrote:Lappin reminds me of a DJ loan signing - an 'ok' prem player who has not played all season. He was rusty for us.

Sounds like JLS!

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:40 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... rwich.html