Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff City being known as "The Welsh Dragons"....

Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:14 pm

By the commentator on the Football League show, somehow made sense. If we are going to be a global club a few years down the line which seems to be what VT is aiming for, then being known as the welsh dragons has so much more marketability. I know as we look at it now it seems unpalatable but look at it objectively and from outside it makes perfect sense. I'm not saying its right, but it does make a lot of commercial sense for the future.

Re: Cardiff City being known as "The Welsh Dragons"....

Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:17 pm

Hot potato this one. :evil:

Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:27 pm

Leytonstoneblue wrote:By the commentator on the Football League show, somehow made sense. If we are going to be a global club a few years down the line which seems to be what VT is aiming for, then being known as the welsh dragons has so much more marketability. I know as we look at it now it seems unpalatable but look at it objectively and from outside it makes perfect sense. I'm not saying its right, but it does make a lot of commercial sense for the future.

Can see the marketability of red dragons as a brand but don't care what media call us-to me we are Cardiff City the Bluebirds.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:35 pm

Leytonstoneblue wrote:By the commentator on the Football League show, somehow made sense. If we are going to be a global club a few years down the line which seems to be what VT is aiming for, then being known as the welsh dragons has so much more marketability. I know as we look at it now it seems unpalatable but look at it objectively and from outside it makes perfect sense. I'm not saying its right, but it does make a lot of commercial sense for the future.

Not for me.

Im a fiercely proud Welshman. Love my Country. Love my flag.

But Cardiff City are the Bluebirds

Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:37 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:

Can see the marketability of red dragons as a brand but don't care what media call us-to me we are Cardiff City the Bluebirds.

Hi Gareth, I totally agree, it was just on hearing this on the commentary and putting myself in a position of someone not familiar with Cardiff City, it sounded right, that the capital club of Wales are known as THE Welsh Dragons, it would certainly make marketing the club abroad hugely more successful in my opinion.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:41 pm

If this is the route the club want to go down, they will do whatever is necessary to get the word across.

Remember when Mike Ashley renamed St. James'' Park. He threatened to revoke any media passes to any press who carried on calling it St. James' Park.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:25 pm

Leytonstoneblue wrote:
Gareth (Wilts) wrote:

Hi Gareth, I totally agree, it was just on hearing this on the commentary and putting myself in a position of someone not familiar with Cardiff City, it sounded right, that the capital club of Wales are known as THE Welsh Dragons, it would certainly make marketing the club abroad hugely more successful in my opinion.

it is isolated incident as I have only heared us being refered to as bluebirds, I think it was a bit tung in cheek, and shouldn't read to much into it although some will! :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:48 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Leytonstoneblue wrote:
Gareth (Wilts) wrote:

it is isolated incident as I have only heared us being refered to as bluebirds, I think it was a bit tung in cheek, and shouldn't read to much into it although some will! :ayatollah:

Sorry mate, I don't think it was tongue in cheek or a mistake, we were playing in red and black with a dragon on our chest and we hail from Wales, so anyone who is not an actual Cardiff supporter would sensibly and understandably refer to us as the red dragons. I hate to say it, but it is happening, so the quicker we accept that, the easier it will be in the months and years to come.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:12 pm

Leytonstoneblue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Leytonstoneblue wrote:
Gareth (Wilts) wrote:

Sorry mate, I don't think it was tongue in cheek or a mistake, we were playing in red and black with a dragon on our chest and we hail from Wales, so anyone who is not an actual Cardiff supporter would sensibly and understandably refer to us as the red dragons. I hate to say it, but it is happening, so the quicker we accept that, the easier it will be in the months and years to come.

I think you are right. Let them call us that and if it means more cash then so be it. To us diehards we will always be the bluebirds but life evolves and whether we like it or not football has moved on. 25 years ago we were at deaths door under Durban with crowds of 2000 playing in blue with no hope. Had mystic meg told me we would be on verge of top flight with 23000 crowds and 4 recent wembley trips I would not have believed it.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:06 pm

Why is therebso much talk about image, brand, marketing on here. Your football will decide whether you become a success. You are flying and will win promotion no doubt. Then the real hard work starts. The day after we won the play off final it dawned on me that this wasn't the end it was hopefully just the start. One win against a big team will do more than any badge kit colour nickname etc. Thats why imo you should be blue end of chat.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:20 pm

They just need a better badge to market it abroad successfully.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:59 pm

As long as the fans want it, we'll always be the Bluebirds.

Watford are the Golden Boys now but that's hardly caught on has it?

Jacks aren't officially the Jacks, press never call them that but they are the Jacks to fans.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:05 pm

Didn't the Radio Wales commentor also say it a few weeks ago too..?