Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The Black kit allowed them to wear Red shorts

Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:41 pm

CARDIFF City chief executive Simon Lim has insisted there are no plans to do away with blue – but admits, personally, he prefers black.

Mr Lim said wearing the black kit allowed them to wear red shorts – considered to be a “lucky omen”.

The Bluebirds went 10 points clear at the top of the Championship on Saturday with a 2-1 win over Blackpool.

But they caused anger among some fans after donning a black third kit when City’s blue away kit, the club’s traditional colour, would have sufficed on the same field as the Tangerines.

Mr Lim said wearing the black kit allowed them to wear red shorts – considered to be a “lucky omen”.

Mr Lim said: “No, there’s no intention of doing away with the blue kit. It’s just we preferred the red, if we could wear the red. We wore the red shorts and they are a lucky omen for us.

“We will wear blue again this season, I’m sure. We still have nine away games to play so somewhere along the line we will [wear blue].

“Personally, I prefer the black. Black is one of my favourite colours and I think it looks dynamic.

“But officially, we normally leave it to Malky. We discuss it with him and it will be a joint decision.”

So far this season, the Bluebirds have played 30 matches, wearing red on 22 occasions, blue five times and black three times.

City have lost on all but one occasion when wearing blue, which was when they beat Barnsley 2-1 back on November 24, but have a 77% win ratio in red.

Fan Michael Morris, who runs the Cardiff City messageboard, said there were many “reluctant reds” but that the club’s on-field success and new-found financial stability meant fans had been more willing to accept change.

He said: “It’s incredible how many people have just allowed the blue kit to disappear because of the position where the club is. I wonder if it would be different if we were in a relegation battle and the club was playing in this foreign colour, whether there would be more of an outcry from the supporters.

“I’m still pretty mixed up about it but I’m enjoying the football.

“It’s a constant argument among friends and family and people on the messageboard.

“My personal thought, after seeing on Saturday when they had the opportunity to, I don’t think they have any intention of playing in blue.”

A Cardiff City spokesman added wearing black had been “team preference”.

“Last season we wore the white and blue kit away at Blackpool,” he said.

He added the blue kit was still available to buy from the Cardiff City club shop

Re: Cardiff City insist club have no plans to dispose of blu

Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:45 pm

These "lucky" red shorts really worked at Macclesfield didn't they! :roll:

Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:03 pm

Shows how much Simon Lim knows, "lucky omen" :roll:

You make your on luck in football, spending the best part of £10m certainly helped get us where we are

Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:10 pm

I think its quite an honest statement by the bloke, more than we have had the last few months. Even if we disagree with it and what he said is a tad naive to state to a local paper, its actually nice that he has come up front up about it. Whether or not they stick to this is another matter but at least they have actually commented on the situation which many of our fans have been asking for.

I'm suprised that WalesOnline are quoting messageboards mind

Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:18 pm

CantonJack wrote:Shows how much Simon Lim knows, "lucky omen" :roll:

You make your on luck in football, spending the best part of £10m certainly helped get us where we are

I'm not saying I agree with Lim, I think he's maybe using it as an excuse to push through the lack of blue but to be fair to him, I think he is saying that within the team its regarded as a lucky omen -similar to the black and yellow 3rd kit was in out FA cup year, rather than he thinks its lucky. It goes with the official story that its team preference.

note I said official story - whether its true I guess we'll never know. Having said that, I'm not sure the playing staff care that much about strip colours so its not implausible I guess.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:06 pm

LOL

Re: Cardiff insist club have NO plans to dispose of blue awa

Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:59 pm

“But officially, we normally leave it to Malky. We discuss it with him and it will be a joint decision.”

Am I reading this correctly as it seems contradictory i.e. we normally leave it to Malky...it will be a joint decision.

Re: Cardiff insist club have NO plans to dispose of blue awa

Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:14 pm

Things are only going to get worse. The black top allowed us to wear red shorts. What a f*cking joke the club has become. Laughing stock

Re: The Black kit allowed them to wear Red shorts

Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:44 pm

Those who say we couldn't have worn blue because Blackpool wear white shorts are wrong, as the blue kit has been worn with blue shorts this season & SHOULD have been worn against Blackpool, as stated by the owners at the start of the season.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:50 pm

Why can't the FA Cup Defeat be a "lucky omen" ? Maybe to push on with promotion !

Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:01 pm

What I don't understand about that article is what time frames are being discussed.

Is Mr Lim talking about this season and this season alone ?

Or is he talking about next season and beyond ?

Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:27 pm

Would be nice to play in blue the game we clinch promotion.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:31 pm

"Lucky"? f**k off. Idiots.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:58 pm

Embarrassing, despite these people running our club well in terms of transfer funds and investing in other areas such as development and training centres and so on, and is there any truth in the tale of Tan wanting us in red for every single game including away games against red shirted sides? If so, I bet he he instructed Lim to get the home team to change!

:?

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:04 pm

carlccfc wrote:What I don't understand about that article is what time frames are being discussed.

Is Mr Lim talking about this season and this season alone ?

Or is he talking about next season and beyond ?

That's ICWales for you.
No doubt they will use the same quotes next season to shit stir.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:06 pm

Once again our owners show that they really are clueless about football tradition and have an insulting disregard for the views many City fans. Yes they have spent their money and we will be promoted but what a hollow victory. We are now just a toy for rich Malaysian business men.
I am just waiting for the bubble to burst when we get to the premiership. This team will go up but you are kidding if you think we will be anything other than relegation fodder next year. Will selling our soul to these football tourists be worth it when we are in the bottom three of the premiership this time next year? One thing I know is that the Cardiff public is notoriously fickle and it will be interesting to watch how many of our new red converts will quickly evaporate.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:07 pm

EastleighBlue wrote:Once again our owners show that they really are clueless about football tradition and have an insulting disregard for the views many City fans. Yes they have spent their money and we will be promoted but what a hollow victory. We are now just a toy for rich Malaysian business men.
I am just waiting for the bubble to burst when we get to the premiership. This team will go up but you are kidding if you think we will be anything other than relegation fodder next year. Will selling our soul to these football tourists be worth it when we are in the bottom three of the premiership this time next year? One thing I know is that the Cardiff public is notoriously fickle and it will be interesting to watch how many of our new red converts will quickly evaporate.

Could be worse tho :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:11 pm

EastleighBlue wrote:Once again our owners show that they really are clueless about football tradition and have an insulting disregard for the views many City fans. Yes they have spent their money and we will be promoted but what a hollow victory. We are now just a toy for rich Malaysian business men.

We would be battling relegation if we got promoted this season even if we were wearing blue shirts, so I don't quite get your point?

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:13 pm

Luck and supetstition is a massive part of eastern culture.

We can moan all we want about foreigners not having a clue about football tradition but every top team in the country is owned by foreigners.

Its the way the game has gone sadly.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:18 pm

I like the Black kit aswell but there was nothing stopping us wear the away strip.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:18 pm

It's silly to suggest the red kit is lucky IMO we have a good squad and manager.

However looking at it from Tans point of view if he believes red is lucky he isn't going to change his mind with our wins in red.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:19 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:I like the Black kit aswell but there was nothing stopping us wear the away strip.

There was... Tan! :lol:

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:19 pm

2blue2handle wrote: we have a good squad.

thanks to tan

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:22 pm

Mario Polotelli wrote:
2blue2handle wrote: we have a good squad.

thanks to tan

Totally down to Tan. I wasn't having a dig at him I'm saying as far as he is concerned he thinks red is lucky and everything he has seen will suggest he is right.

At the end on the day If we won every game in blue and struggled in red then a lot or fans would have a lot to say to ridicule him.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:26 pm

Barry Chuckle wrote:
DandoCCFC wrote:I like the Black kit aswell but there was nothing stopping us wear the away strip.

There was... Tan! :lol:

:lol:

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:39 am

Sorry! blue should never disappear from your colours. I hope that you let them know in no uncertain terms Bluebirds dont wear black (or white). I have to say that red this year is working, for both of us. ;)

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:49 am

It's annoying because they choose what they believe over Tradition. They are just being gullible

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:12 pm

Isn't Peter lim a billionaire aswell? Didnt realise he was involved a lot in the club and chief executive? Thought he was just a potential investor if we get to the prem?

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:14 pm

Mynachdy_Bluebird wrote:It's annoying because they choose what they believe over Tradition. They are just being gullible

How are they being gullable? We are top of the league and on course to get promotion which is the only way they can begin to get a return on their investment.