Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Kevin McNaughton - Should he go Yes or No ?

Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:33 pm

Keep him for at most another season. He's been a loyal servant so we should reward him :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:55 pm

should stay definately,even if malky doenst fancy him as a starter hes still great cover to have ,hes been immense since hes been here and a true city legend,it also be a shame after how long hes been here that if we do go up he'd miss out .

Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:22 pm

No time for sentiments.
I expect every player wearing the shirt to give 110%.
Sorry to say the fact remains that if u want City to succeed in the Prem, then those not good enough, need to go and be replaced by better quality. Kev's distribution has always been his downfall. This would be highlighted even further against better teams.
Kev needs to be playing regularly, so saying he can be 2nd or 3rd choice is just daft, as this will kill off his career completely.
He'd be better off being a valued team member by a Championship/Scottish Prem side playing every week.
No good him sitting on the bench (or worse the stands) with City.
Give him a testimonial and let him go.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:32 pm

Should be kept and given a new contract.

He's not the best full back going forward but my god, he knows how to defend! Imo he is the best defender at the club and if he could attack as well he would have been in the Premiership long ago.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:53 pm

NO ROOM FOR SENTIMENT.

Kev has been a great servant but has earned more over the last few years than most of us will
earn in the next thirty!!. If he is released, he will STILL earn more than any of us can earn. He
does not need our charity. A Div 1 team would snap him up for £2000 a week or more

Football wise? Full-Backs need to be able to attack AND defend in the Premiership. Distribution
particularly is key for a full-back deep in the opposition half, give it away and your team can be
a goal down in seconds

I love Kev, but in The Premiership he would get found out I think. He's not getting any younger.
He's been a brilliant servant, but where do you draw the line?

Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:15 pm

I think its easy for us fans to ask this, but Malky has a budget to work to, does this budget affect next summers budget? Would we rather get promoted and try and attract a better type of player. What would a replacement player want in transfer fee this window, signing bonus, other bonus and standard wage?

Who takes his place? I cant really think of a player who will come in now and be able to be good enough to play when we get promoted. Everyone goes on about Brayford, ive honestly only seen against us, as you cant judge a rb off football league show etc.

Kev Mcnaughton hasnt done anything wrong, even though he doesnt do much perfect. hes a 6.5/10 player this season, but will do until we are promoted.

Is it worth the gamble of getting rid now and bringing in someone who may not settle in straight away, be a flop or upset a team harmony?

Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:25 pm

Would rather have Kev McNaughton who always gives his all in a City shirt, than some of the supposedly better players that Dave Jones brought in at his last attempt to win promotion with us :wave:

Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:19 pm

No, he just needs to go on the weights.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:26 pm

No & it's not sentiment, as has been said KeV can play all along back in emergency and is STILL one of our best defenders :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:08 pm

It will be a disgrace if he isn't given at least a 1 year deal, he has been a great servant to the club and can still do a job! He gives everything for the cause, yes his distribution isn't the best but neither is Connolly when he has played there. Kev is very versatile and has earned the right for a new contract :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:26 pm

He,s a far better player than Andrew Taylor.Who,s been given a new contract.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:35 pm

No doubt. Definitely stay.
Good cover and can do a very good defensive job.
Has kept the £15 million :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: rated Zaha quiet on 2 occassions now.

Quick and puts his body on the line when needed.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:36 pm

We should keep him - Love the guy!

Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:35 pm

2blue2handle wrote:I would keep him Annis for the simple reason in that he is versatile and will always give 100%

Assume we go up we have a 25 man squad and to have someone like him as back up is priceless.
When backs are against the wall is when Kev shines.

Weirdly I think he will be more of an asset as a squad player if we go up rather than if we didn't.

totally agree with thsis..

Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:30 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Kevin McNaughton - Should he go Yes or No ?

Malky Mackay appears to be in the market for a right back and Kevin McNaughton is out of contract in the summer, with no sign of a forthcoming offer. It doesn't look good for Super Kev.

A firm fan favourite, although maybe not as firm as a couple of years ago, McNaughton has experienced plenty of highs and lows in his 270 games for the club.

He has been at the forefront of Cardiff's pursuit of top-flight football and in his seventh season with the club, they may finally achieve that goal, with McNaughton on the periphery.

Having started all of Cardiff's first 11 games, McNaughton lost his place after the 3-1 defeat at Nottingham Forest and has been used sparingly since.

Having sat out the next four games, he returned as cover for the absent Matthew Connolly against Hull, but limped off after 18 minutes. He returned three games later to deputise for the suspended Mark Hudson in the shock defeat against Peterborough and was withdrawn after 50 minutes.

He played against Crystal Palace on Boxing Day due to Connolly's suspension and did a sterling job of marshalling Wilfried Zaha, retaining his place for the 1-0 win against Millwall. He has since returned to the bench and is likely to remain there for the visit of Ipswich on Saturday and beyond.

Should Malky acquire a new right back, it would surely relegate McNaughton further down the pecking order, unless injuries and suspensions begin to stack up, as a lack of defensive strength in depth remains. Whether or not Malky has lost faith in McNaughton remains to be seen, but as Robert Earnshaw can attest, if he has, there is no way back.

McNaughton is keen to remain with the club, recently stating: "I hope to stay, I would love to stay, but the decision is up to the club really. I would sign in a heartbeat. I'd definitely like to see out my career at Cardiff, my children were born here, it's my home really, but the way the club is progressing, you can't always hang on to it. Sometimes you have to move on just to get playing regularly. I've not spoken to the manager about it. I've just been busy grafting away to try to get myself back in the team. That's the main priority right now."

Mackay has commended McNaughton's attitude and application since losing his place, stating: "Kevin has reacted in exactly the way I expected. He is a top professional and, as always, is working to ensure he is pushing for a starting place and ready when needed."

His commitment and tenacity has never been questioned, but whether or not McNaughton is in decline is a fiercely debated topic amongst fans. Rarely playing 90 minutes without hobbling off at some stage, maybe so many impact injuries have taken their toll?

His distribution remains his main weakness and having grey hair probably doesn't help when you're trying to earn a new contract in your thirties, but I would certainly offer him another year or two. Short of numbers in defence, McNaughton's versatility is a bonus and seeing as Andrew Taylor agreed a two-year contract extension in November, despite his many shortcomings, I think McNaughton is certainly no worse. He may not be good enough to start in a Premier League side, should promotion be secured, but he wouldn't let anyone down if called upon.

Keep Kev he deserves to be rewarded, he wont be a starter in premiership but great squad player! Reward his loyalty with a new contract city :malky:

Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:54 pm

SIMPLE.......NO.......im not sentimental,i just really think he still has a lot to offer :ayatollah: :ayatollah: