Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Kevin McNaughton - Should he go Yes or No ?

Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:31 am

Kevin McNaughton - Should he go Yes or No ?

Malky Mackay appears to be in the market for a right back and Kevin McNaughton is out of contract in the summer, with no sign of a forthcoming offer. It doesn't look good for Super Kev.

A firm fan favourite, although maybe not as firm as a couple of years ago, McNaughton has experienced plenty of highs and lows in his 270 games for the club.

He has been at the forefront of Cardiff's pursuit of top-flight football and in his seventh season with the club, they may finally achieve that goal, with McNaughton on the periphery.

Having started all of Cardiff's first 11 games, McNaughton lost his place after the 3-1 defeat at Nottingham Forest and has been used sparingly since.

Having sat out the next four games, he returned as cover for the absent Matthew Connolly against Hull, but limped off after 18 minutes. He returned three games later to deputise for the suspended Mark Hudson in the shock defeat against Peterborough and was withdrawn after 50 minutes.

He played against Crystal Palace on Boxing Day due to Connolly's suspension and did a sterling job of marshalling Wilfried Zaha, retaining his place for the 1-0 win against Millwall. He has since returned to the bench and is likely to remain there for the visit of Ipswich on Saturday and beyond.

Should Malky acquire a new right back, it would surely relegate McNaughton further down the pecking order, unless injuries and suspensions begin to stack up, as a lack of defensive strength in depth remains. Whether or not Malky has lost faith in McNaughton remains to be seen, but as Robert Earnshaw can attest, if he has, there is no way back.

McNaughton is keen to remain with the club, recently stating: "I hope to stay, I would love to stay, but the decision is up to the club really. I would sign in a heartbeat. I'd definitely like to see out my career at Cardiff, my children were born here, it's my home really, but the way the club is progressing, you can't always hang on to it. Sometimes you have to move on just to get playing regularly. I've not spoken to the manager about it. I've just been busy grafting away to try to get myself back in the team. That's the main priority right now."

Mackay has commended McNaughton's attitude and application since losing his place, stating: "Kevin has reacted in exactly the way I expected. He is a top professional and, as always, is working to ensure he is pushing for a starting place and ready when needed."

His commitment and tenacity has never been questioned, but whether or not McNaughton is in decline is a fiercely debated topic amongst fans. Rarely playing 90 minutes without hobbling off at some stage, maybe so many impact injuries have taken their toll?

His distribution remains his main weakness and having grey hair probably doesn't help when you're trying to earn a new contract in your thirties, but I would certainly offer him another year or two. Short of numbers in defence, McNaughton's versatility is a bonus and seeing as Andrew Taylor agreed a two-year contract extension in November, despite his many shortcomings, I think McNaughton is certainly no worse. He may not be good enough to start in a Premier League side, should promotion be secured, but he wouldn't let anyone down if called upon.

Re: Kevin McNaughton - Should he go Yes or No ?

Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:35 am

No, unless we bring in another full back.

I would keep him Annis for the simple reason in that he is versatile and will always give 100%

Assume we go up we have a 25 man squad and to have someone like him as back up is priceless.
When backs are against the wall is when Kev shines.

Weirdly I think he will be more of an asset as a squad player if we go up rather than if we didn't.

No should be kept for being a great servant for the club and most importantly he's great for cover across the back four. No one can fault his defensive abilities :ayatollah: :malky:

Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:37 am

Did a decent job at Blackpool on Saturday would be stupid not to give him another year. He isn't bad to have as either second or third choice RB.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:39 am

Wasn't he player of the year last season, may be wrong mind don't do detail.

But in answer I think someone who can play anywhere along the back four is to useful, plenty of life in him yet and always gives 100% but does pass the ball like Stevie Wonder does at times. 8-)

Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:42 am

He should go if we're promoted, he's not good enough for the PL

Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:43 am

I feel sorry for Kev -he's an absolute warrior.

For the last couple of seasons he's been putting his body on the line and has been a great servant. The only problem is that he doesn't really suit the Malky fullback role because his distribution is so poor.

Having said that I would keep him whether we are prem or champ next season as long as he is happy to know he may only be backup. he's so versatile and has the right attitude. I'd hate to lose that if we went up. look at QPR, Derry / Hill surely are not prem quality but when they play they do a job and work hard.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:01 am

If we sign a new right back he would still be needed as cover for left back. I would like him here for another season, but wouldn't be surprised to see him go. Would be good to see him reach 300 apps for city :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:02 am

I think He deserves to be in our squad next season , He may be pushing 32-33 but he can mark out players and put in a shift if we need to rotate or have injuries

can be a great asset for cup games and cover. he wont let malky down as good as any rotational full back as you will find anywhere in the country (bar the top 10-12 clubs)

by that I mean fringe players for big clubs obviously not their first choice ones

Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:07 am

sloper_road_legend wrote:I think He deserves to be in our squad next season , He may be pushing 32-33 but he can mark out players and put in a shift if we need to rotate or have injuries

can be a great asset for cup games and cover. he wont let malky down as good as any rotational full back as you will find anywhere in the country (bar the top 10-12 clubs)

by that I mean fringe players for big clubs obviously not their first choice ones

He'll be 31 in August! :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:13 am

He should definitely stay. We don't need any defenders this month, so I would keep him in at right back over Connolly, who's natural position is centre back. He did well yesterday but undoubtedly Malky won't start him for Leeds.
If we tie him up on a 2 year deal he could go into the 25 man squad in the Prem next year, used as cover for all four defenders. Always gives his all and loves the club, there's still room for sentiment in football :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:20 am

if we go up he deserves a shot to play at the top with us! great servant to the club!... he might not start every week, or hardly ever, but a good squad player who gives 100% and is very versatile!

Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:26 am

Unfortunately if we get promoted MacNaughton will not have the essential game primed for the Premiership as he is woeful in the final part of the field with some wayward l ball that will be exploited by our opposition and we will be punished big time .
I have always been a big fan of Kev and it will be a sad day when he leaves but sentiment needs to be left out and a more reliable player in the Brayford mould will be required although I believe he will still be capable of doing a decent job for a top half championship/Scottish Premier team.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:34 am

Got torn a new arse hole by Downing in the final, unfortunately don't think he'd cut it there but as above, would be good as back up like Derry/Hill do for QPR

Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:54 am

I Bleed Blue wrote:Got torn a new arse hole by Downing in the final, unfortunately don't think he'd cut it there but as above, would be good as back up like Derry/Hill do for QPR

Even if he is second/third choice cover in defence I think it's worthwhile keeping him :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:12 am

No, give him a one year deal and see how it goes, as he is still a good player, is versatile across the back and has been as loyal as any in recent times :ayatollah:

Super Kev McNaughton!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:51 am

He should be a keeper at all costs, this seasons yes we have options which is great but when it's all said and done he's been a loyal servant to the club and when fit he can do the job it's good to see players fighting for their places without whinging

Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:16 am

I think if we get promoted he'll go,if we don't the club could offer him a 1yr deal.As much as I like him as a player his sometimes poor distrbution was in evidence again on saturday.I think in the summer there'll be no shortage of takers for his services and I don't think Malkys the type of person that would let sentiment cloud his judgement as shown by his position with earnie.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:17 am

I do not think he will be good enough to be a first teamer next year but we need to have a squad of 25 so I would offer him a 1 year contract. He has been a good servant.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:26 am

Give him another year.

Might not be the most naturally gifted but like said above can play anywhere across the back four and
will always give 100%.

Has also been a loyal servant to the club on and off the pitch and deserves a season in the Premier League even if only
as a bit part player, a bit like Monk etc at Swansea.

:ayatollah:

Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:51 am

Should McNaughton go, no hes been a good player for us. Hate it when teams get promoted then promptly get rid of the players who got them there. So if we make it this year I hope we give Kev a contract. :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:14 am

Kevin MacNaughton has been a top player for City. Unfortunately he is now a shadow of the player he was at his best. Sentiment has no place in football, so whether we are in the Premiership or Championship next season MacNaughton wil not, in my opinion, be in Malky's squad.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:14 am

If we sign a top RB eg Brayford in preparation for the Prem, Mcnaughton would be a good back up. He would probably play in just under half the league games maybe more depending on fitness and injury, and he's still a good player.

Still, it wouldn't bother me if he left.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:21 am

DITH80 wrote:Kevin MacNaughton has been a top player for City. Unfortunately he is now a shadow of the player he was at his best. Sentiment has no place in football, so whether we are in the Premiership or Championship next season MacNaughton wil not, in my opinion, be in Malky's squad.

Your dead right and that is why I could never be a manager, it needs to be all about business and progress, but my heart would rule my head, if i was manager we'd still have Joe Dwyer playing. :lol:

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:25 am

I Bleed Blue wrote:Got torn a new arse hole by Downing in the final, unfortunately don't think he'd cut it there but as above, would be good as back up like Derry/Hill do for QPR

what the f**k are are you talking about? did you even watch that game? Kev was outstanding as he is every game. If he doesn't get a new contract then I will lose all faith in Malky and his judgement.
Last edited by scott_w_ccfc on Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:25 am

what the f**k are are you talking about? did you even watch that game? Kev was outstanding as he is every game. If he doesn't get a new contract then I wI'll lose all faith in Malky and his judgement.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:31 am

keep him, he can still do a job for us short term

Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:39 am

I'd love to keep him. I hope Jack Hunt or Brayford would sign.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:13 pm

2blue2handle wrote:I would keep him Annis for the simple reason in that he is versatile and will always give 100%

Assume we go up we have a 25 man squad and to have someone like him as back up is priceless.
When backs are against the wall is when Kev shines.

Weirdly I think he will be more of an asset as a squad player if we go up rather than if we didn't.

^^^^^^^^ This - Kev is part of the furniture, his dedication to the team is clear. Yeah he has bad days, don't they all, Keep him as part of the depth of the squad - he has earned the right to be part of our Premiership Team :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :old: