Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Chris Wood Eligibility For Leicester Today?

Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:51 pm

Did anyone get an answer to how he was eligible to play today? Been on a Leicester Forum and they are still unable to bottom it out.

Above all other rules a player must be signed by noon on the day before a kick off of 3pm or earlier. For evening kick offs a player can be signed up unti 5pm the day before the game.

Leicester were unable to sign him until the transfer window opened at midnight and could not loan him as the loan window had closed on the third Thursday in November.

Anyone shed light on this yet?

Re: Chris Wood Eligibility For Leicester Today?

Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:53 pm

Good point I was thinking the same

Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:55 pm

Someone contact the FL.

Lets see if we can get the result overturned into a Huddersfield 3-0 win and a fine for Leicester :twisted:

Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:56 pm

Dock the fuckers points.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:56 pm

I posted this earlier , I don't think there is a way he could be available , signed yes ,but not registered in time

Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:58 pm

Although even if they are guilty it will be ok just ask QPR

Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:58 pm

Aramore wrote:Someone contact the FL.

Lets see if we can get the result overturned into a Huddersfield 3-0 win and a fine for Leicester :twisted:

I was more thinking that there is a way of pre-empting the transfer window by loaning a player just before the Christmas period as long as you promise to sign him on 1st January. This is the only thing I can think has allowed him to play, they signed him on loan yesterday.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:00 pm

Leicester signed a pre-agreement for Wood and as soon as the transfer window opened at midnight, Wood was a Leicester player. So surely Wood was eligable to play as he was offically confirmed as a Leicester player at midnight? It's like players with 6 months left on their contracts agreeing to sign for other clubs. They will finish the season with their current club, but from July 1st, they will transfer to their new clubs as a deal has been pre-agreed.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:01 pm

darran1927 wrote:I posted this earlier , I don't think there is a way he could be available , signed yes ,but not registered in time

It was a good question you asked early on today darran,as i posted to the link i gave ...im still non the wiser to this :?

Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:02 pm

Wayne S wrote:

I was more thinking that there is a way of pre-empting the transfer window by loaning a player just before the Christmas period as long as you promise to sign him on 1st January. This is the only thing I can think has allowed him to play, they signed him on loan yesterday.

What about the loan deadline?

Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:05 pm

Wayne S wrote:

He wouldn't have been able to be loaned as the loan windows was closed.

Although that reminds me of Lukas Jutkiewicz signing for Boro last season. They signed him on an emergency loan transfer so that they could use him before they'd fully ironed out the transfer fees and contract etc.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:07 pm

Points deduction please :D

Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:07 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Leicester signed a pre-agreement for Wood and as soon as the transfer window opened at midnight, Wood was a Leicester player. So surely Wood was eligable to play as he was offically confirmed as a Leicester player at midnight? It's like players with 6 months left on their contracts agreeing to sign for other clubs. They will finish the season with their current club, but from July 1st, they will transfer to their new clubs as a deal has been pre-agreed.

That's not the issue he was a Leicester player at midnight, but to be registered in time for a game it has to be done the day before a game by 5pm , and as the window didn't open until midnight there is no-way its possible

Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:09 pm

Damned Yank wrote:
Wayne S wrote:

What about the loan deadline?

Their official site even confirms as a permanent signing so this wouldn't be the case

Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:11 pm

darran1927 wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Leicester signed a pre-agreement for Wood and as soon as the transfer window opened at midnight, Wood was a Leicester player. So surely Wood was eligable to play as he was offically confirmed as a Leicester player at midnight? It's like players with 6 months left on their contracts agreeing to sign for other clubs. They will finish the season with their current club, but from July 1st, they will transfer to their new clubs as a deal has been pre-agreed.

That's not the issue he was a Leicester player at midnight, but to be registered in time for a game it has to be done the day before a game by 5pm , and as the window didn't open until midnight there is no-way its possible

A couple of sides done it, Sheffield United played Higginbotham who signed on a pre-contract yesterday and Leon Clarke with Conventry. But a points deduction will be nice :D :ayatollah:

Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:18 pm

Scruffy wrote:
darran1927 wrote:

A couple of sides done it, Sheffield United played Higginbotham who signed on a pre-contract yesterday and Leon Clarke with Conventry. But a points deduction will be nice :D :ayatollah:

Deduct points from them aswell the cheats :lol:

Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:19 pm

darran1927 wrote:
Scruffy wrote:
darran1927 wrote:

Deduct points from them aswell the cheats :lol:

League expulsion imo. :D :ayatollah:

Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:21 pm

Scruffy wrote:
darran1927 wrote:

That is correct but I think they make an exception for the opening day of the transfer window as technically, the player has signed before the 5pm deadline the previous day. I think if Leicester only signed Wood today, he wouldn't have played, but because he was signed before 5pm yesterday, he's allowed to play despite only being able to transfer to Leicester today when the window has opened. This is clearly an issue which needs to be discussed and explained mind as it's a definite grey area.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:22 pm

Aramore wrote:
Wayne S wrote:

He wouldn't have been able to be loaned as the loan windows was closed.

Although that reminds me of Lukas Jutkiewicz signing for Boro last season. They signed him on an emergency loan transfer so that they could use him before they'd fully ironed out the transfer fees and contract etc.

Yeah that was my initial point, but something must allow him to play and all I can think is that as he was already on loan with Millwall his status as a lone player continues because he would return to WBA OUTSIDE of their 25 man squad. :?: :?:

My point now is that IF they have got around this legally, every club could do it a week ahead and get a player before others

Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:26 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
Scruffy wrote:
darran1927 wrote:

That is correct but I think they make an exception for the opening day of the transfer window as technically, the player has signed before the 5pm deadline the previous day. I think if Leicester only signed Wood today, he wouldn't have played, but because he was signed before 5pm yesterday, he's allowed to play despite only being able to transfer to Leicester today when the window has opened. This is clearly an issue which needs to be discussed and explained mind as it's a definite grey area.

But if they can sign players on 31st Dec it makes a mockery of the January transfer window. There is no mention of an exception in the FL rule book. They should make the transfer window open at midnight between 30th and 31st.

I'm sure there is no rule break but a few clubs have used a loophole that other clubs aren't aware of, perhaps.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:29 pm

I know this is my first post so please dont all attack me if this info is incorrect...

A Huddersfield fan who i am close to informed me earlier today that leicester cleared a 1 day loan for Chris Wood to be eligible for todays game, whether this is correct/legal i dont know but apparently thats the story up north...

Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:32 pm

NBACF wrote:I know this is my first post so please dont all attack me if this info is incorrect...

A Huddersfield fan who i am close to informed me earlier today that leicester cleared a 1 day loan for Chris Wood to be eligible for todays game, whether this is correct/legal i dont know but apparently thats the story up north...

What we suspected then.

Makes a mockery of the transfer rules imo.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:37 pm

Aramore wrote:
NBACF wrote:I know this is my first post so please dont all attack me if this info is incorrect...

What we suspected then.

How though if the loan window has also shut? Emergency loan? Not with their strikers.

The only reason I can think is that there is another deadline covering games played on January 1st, perhaps they had until say 10pm today.

Whatever, why not just move the window back or forward a day.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:38 pm

So they signed a player on loan out of the loan or transfer window :? they may as well just get rid of them :lol:

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:08 am

Just a couple of important points and these are FA and Football League rules:
1) All loans must be for a minimum period of 28 days
2) for midweek games; players must be signed at least 3 hours before match kick-off... Providing this is on a day when the offices are usually open!

I can't understand the reasons for these special circumstances.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:27 am

Mastermind wrote:Just a couple of important points and these are FA and Football League rules:
1) All loans must be for a minimum period of 28 days
2) for midweek games; players must be signed at least 3 hours before match kick-off... Providing this is on a day when the offices are usually open!

I can't understand the reasons for these special circumstances.

Well the 3 hour rule gives then the clearance. Haven't seen that one on the FL site though.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:47 am

Wayne S wrote:
Aramore wrote:

What we suspected then.

How though if the loan window has also shut? Emergency loan? Not with their strikers.

The only reason I can think is that there is another deadline covering games played on January 1st, perhaps they had until say 10pm today.

Whatever, why not just move the window back or forward a day.

Emergency loan doesn't mean emergency loan really. You can sign any player during a loan window/transfer window as an emergency loan.

They only require minimal notice so he could be signed on loan today and then fully transfered tomorrow or at the end of the loan as they'll alreasy have his registration.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:45 am

Ban them from the league :twisted:

Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:09 am

Its more likely as long as the paperwork was faxed before 5pm on new years eve its ok. Similar happens at the end of window. As long as paperwork is faxed before window closes it counts.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:34 am

To throw another spanner inthe works TalkShite said this morning that the transfer window officially opens today... Im guessing due to bank holiday

I know if the 31st jan is a sunday it rolls over a day so it may be right...