Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Leeds v Norwich tonight “ EFL Play Offs topic “

Thu May 16, 2024 8:39 am

SB 1927 wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:Dropped this thread for a bit because there was a big gap between games.

But now we have four consecutive days of Play Off matches, with the second legs in the Championship semi finals as well as the finals in League One and League Two.

First up on Thursday night is Leeds v Norwich. It finished 0-0 in the first leg so all to play for.

Who do you think will make Wembley out of the two ties?

I'm going with Leeds - West Brom final :shock:

Looking forward to these!!

I’m going for Norwich-West Brom final :o

Thu May 16, 2024 10:53 am

SB 1927 wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:Dropped this thread for a bit because there was a big gap between games.

But now we have four consecutive days of Play Off matches, with the second legs in the Championship semi finals as well as the finals in League One and League Two.

First up on Thursday night is Leeds v Norwich. It finished 0-0 in the first leg so all to play for.

Who do you think will make Wembley out of the two ties?

I'm going with Leeds - West Brom final :shock:

Looking forward to these!!

I agree with you.

I’m not sure Norwich can win at Leeds tonight. Sitting back and hoping for penalties won’t work because Leeds have so much attacking quality. If they go all out attack then Leeds will pick them off with their pace.

I’ve always been of the opinion that if West Brom get to the final then they’ll be promoted, because Corberan is such a good tactician for a one off game. I also think they have enough to beat Southampton.

Thu May 16, 2024 11:41 am

Leeds fans deserve Promotion

Thu May 16, 2024 7:09 pm

Leeds lead after 7 minutes.

Brilliant free kick by Gruev.

Thu May 16, 2024 7:13 pm

Been watching Wittingham.

Thu May 16, 2024 7:23 pm

Now 2-0 to weeds

Thu May 16, 2024 7:23 pm

Leeds 2 - 0 up inside 20 minutes with two 'soft' goals but they will take them...

Norwich with a mountain to climb already and a great opportunity wasted by Norwich' Sargent as Meslier produces a great stop... :ayatollah:

Thu May 16, 2024 7:31 pm

Watching it at the pub and everyone agrees that’s game over, Norwich unlikely to score two without reply.

Thu May 16, 2024 7:34 pm

That 1on1 miss will haunt Norwich. You know its not their night when stuff like that happens.

Thu May 16, 2024 7:54 pm

3-0 halftime game over :o

Thu May 16, 2024 8:33 pm

4 nil now I did not think it would be so easy for Leeds thought Norwich would give them a better game

Thu May 16, 2024 8:35 pm

valleyrambill wrote:4 nil now I did not think it would be so easy for Leeds thought Norwich would give them a better game

Yeah been disappointed with Norwich, played right into Leeds’ hands.

Thu May 16, 2024 9:08 pm

Brilliant:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu May 16, 2024 9:12 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Brilliant:

Leeds by far the better team, deservedly in the final.

Southampton v West Brom on Friday night to decide who plays them there next Sunday.

Re: Leeds in Play Off Final “ EFL Play Offs topic “

Thu May 16, 2024 9:51 pm

I hope they freeze on the day.
Southampton will give them a game, not sure about WBA.

Thu May 16, 2024 9:58 pm

stickywicket wrote:I hope they freeze on the day.
Southampton will give them a game, not sure about WBA.

You see I think WBA would do a better job against Leeds.

Corberan is a good tactician who can get the better of them on a one off game.

Thu May 16, 2024 10:03 pm

Leeds United will play Southampton or West Bromwich Albion in the Championship play-off final after a thumping win over an outclassed Norwich.

After a drab stalemate in the first leg on Sunday, the home side, who finished three places and 17 points above the Canaries, took a deserved early lead when Ilia Gruev's long-range free-kick beat Angus Gunn at his near post.

Joel Piroe made it 2-0 when he headed in Willy Gnonto's deep cross to the far post, with keeper Gunn caught in no man's land, to leave the away side with a mountain to climb.

They should have pulled one back immediately but Josh Sargent was thwarted by keeper Illan Meslier one-on-one in what proved to be the only chance of note Norwich had all night.

It was 3-0 before the break when Georginio Rutter crashed a shot in off the underside of the bar after a breakaway attack.

Crysencio Summerville tapped home a fourth after the interval after Gunn had parried a Gnonto shot out to Junior Firpo, who squared for the Dutchman to roll home.

The Whites will now have nine days to prepare for the play-off final at Wembley on Sunday, 26 May as they look to secure an immediate return to the Premier League.

Fri May 17, 2024 4:36 am

Had to laugh at the Leeds player wearing gloves in the middle of May. :laughing6:

Excellent player but what a fanny.

Fri May 17, 2024 7:02 am

They were awesome last night. What an attack force.

Fri May 17, 2024 7:13 pm

Southampton v West Brom tonight. Watching in the pub and an even start.

Re: Southampton v WBA tonight “ EFL Play Offs topic “

Fri May 17, 2024 8:18 pm

Sothampton 1 West Brom 0 57th minute.

Fri May 17, 2024 8:20 pm

Great player to have in team kipre, he gets away with murder

Fri May 17, 2024 8:37 pm

Southampton 2 West Brom 0 78th minute

Fri May 17, 2024 8:50 pm

3 nil Southampton

Fri May 17, 2024 9:16 pm

Seems to of been lacking some of the excitement and drama this year. Playoff second legs can produce some of the craziest games. Bolton v Barnsley was the only one to threaten that this year

Fri May 17, 2024 9:22 pm

Always going to happen. Southampton and Leeds a mile above the other two

Fri May 17, 2024 10:34 pm

Southampton will face Leeds United in the Championship play-off final after a stylish second-half performance saw them beat West Bromwich Albion.

After a goalless first leg, Saints midfielder Will Smallbone opened the scoring in the second half of the second leg, striking from an angle into the top right corner of Baggies keeper Alex Palmer's goal from just inside the box.

Adam Armstrong doubled Saints' lead to trigger a party atmosphere inside the ground with just over 10 minutes remaining.

The hosts' Wembley place was gauranteed when he doubled his tally from the penalty spot after Ryan Manning was fouled, with Cedric Kipre's injury-time header for the visitors a mere consolation.

Southampton supporters welcomed their team in their thousands, gathering outside the ground with red and white flares, lining the streets more than two hours before kick-off.

Pyrotechnics and flamethrowers added to a thrilling pre-match atmosphere, but it took until Smallbone's goal for the game to heat up.

Saints first came the closest to opening the scoring in the first half, Armstrong getting in behind the West Brom defence before cutting the ball back to David Brooks who fired wide from close range.

Russell Martin’s home side started the second half impressively and the atmosphere erupted when they took the lead through the boot of Smallbone, who netted his seventh goal of the season.
Saints supporters felt they should have had a penalty after Brooks was scissor tackled by Kipre in the box but, to their dismay, nothing was given.

Armstrong settled the nerves later on, drilling a low shot into the back of the net before celebrating in the far corner of the Northam stand.

The hosts were eventually given a penalty in the closing stages when Manning steamed into the West Brom box before being taken down, with Armstrong making no mistake from the spot.

Kipre's header through the outstretched gloves of Alex McCarthy was too little too late for West Brom.

Re: BOLTON v OXFORD - LEAGUE ONE PLAY OFF FINAL

Sat May 18, 2024 9:41 am

It’s the League One Play Off Final at 4.15pm.

Bolton v Oxford at Wembley.

Sat May 18, 2024 2:20 pm

One hour to go.

Come on Oxford.

Sat May 18, 2024 3:49 pm

1-0 Oxford, Josh Murphy, happy for the lad.