Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Breaking news: Cardiff City closing in on signing

Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:34 pm

Overthemoon wrote:Mackail-Smith won umpteen balls in the air against Hudson, especially in the first half, but his main failing is his lack of pace, which is why he defends too deep, as he likes to have the security of the goalkeeper being a bit closer to him!

As I said, I don’t believe that either of them are capable of taking us to the Premiership together, but I believe that if we bring somebody in with a bit of pace, who can marshall the defence and take control there, then gerrard may still be able to play his part!

IMO, Hudson is never ever going to be good enough and I don’t give a shit about any of his previous managers either, as Crystal Palace and Charlton are hardly benchmarks for a step up to the Premier League, which is where we need to be!

As for Hudson being our second best player last season, then you must be just talking about the defence, as I’d love to know where that stat came from, as Bellamy, Bothroyd, Whitts, McNaughton, Olofinjana, Chopra and even Chris Burke had a better season IMO!

Lol. Palace with Hudson at centre half did EXACTLY what we need to do. Went up. Also worth seeing who those managers were, Curbishly, Taylor, Warnock, etc...

Hudson was voted 2nd in the player of the year - BY OUR FANS.

We won't agree on this one mate.

1-0 Taylor :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:37 pm

Lawnmower wrote:
Overthemoon wrote:Mackail-Smith won umpteen balls in the air against Hudson, especially in the first half, but his main failing is his lack of pace, which is why he defends too deep, as he likes to have the security of the goalkeeper being a bit closer to him!

As I said, I don’t believe that either of them are capable of taking us to the Premiership together, but I believe that if we bring somebody in with a bit of pace, who can marshall the defence and take control there, then gerrard may still be able to play his part!

IMO, Hudson is never ever going to be good enough and I don’t give a shit about any of his previous managers either, as Crystal Palace and Charlton are hardly benchmarks for a step up to the Premier League, which is where we need to be!

As for Hudson being our second best player last season, then you must be just talking about the defence, as I’d love to know where that stat came from, as Bellamy, Bothroyd, Whitts, McNaughton, Olofinjana, Chopra and even Chris Burke had a better season IMO!

Lol. Palace with Hudson at centre half did EXACTLY what we need to do. Went up. Also worth seeing who those managers were, Curbishly, Taylor, Warnock, etc...

Hudson was voted 2nd in the player of the year - BY OUR FANS.

We won't agree on this one mate.

1-0 Taylor :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

:) :D :ayatollah:

Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:52 pm

You're a funny man :lol:

Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:00 pm

Overthemoon wrote:
Lawnmower wrote:Don't agree about the better in the air bit.

Can you rememeber Church getting the better of Gerrard a couple of seasons back ? Church is only 5 ft 10 and beat Gerrard several times.

Gerrard makes it look better with the face pulling and smashing into the back of players, but Hudson wins more against the genuine big players-which is why he generally ends up amkring the bigger striker with Gerrard left with the smaller one.

As for pace, they are both slow. You're prob right that Gerrard is a bit quicker, but as Maynard showed , Gerrard isn't that quick anyway.

Hudson reads the game better and is better positionally, he also doesn't give the ball away as often, mainly because he goes for easy passes rather than Glenn Hoddle passes like Hudson.

They are both OK, but IMHO Hudson is the better of the two.

Can you remember Hudson winning any balls in the air against Mackail-Smith 2 weeks ago, cos I can't and if Hudson usually picks up the bigger man, then why did he push Darcy on to pick up Steve Howard 2 seasons ago, when Darcy should have been the one to drop off and Hudson the one to pick up the big man!

IMO, the goal Maynard scored against us, was more down to angles than pace and if you look at the tackle that Gerrard made on Parker at West Ham (after a mistake by Hudson), then I don’t think that Hudson would have been quick enough to get back at Parker!

Both Hudson and Gerrard have been guilty of sloppy passing so far this season, but I can‘t agree that Hudson reads the game better than Gerrard, as I can’t see that this scenario has been tested!

When Gerrard has played alomgside Hudson, Gerrard is the one who tends to have to attack the ball more often, whilst Hudson likes to drop off and play a sweeper type role, which IMO, he is to slow for!

Neither player is good enough to lead the back four IMO and I think that we are desperately short of somebody with a bit of pace, to come in and command the back four!

IMO, Hull’s player of last season can step up his game, whilst I believe Hudson cannot! :ayatollah:

Have you ever played at centre-half ?!

You've pointed out the Steve Howard situation umpteen times before and it doesn't make sense. Howard was quite obviously going to target the smaller centre-half and give him a tough time. What was Hudson meant to do ? Move 20 yards to hold Blake's hand ? :roll:

And don't give me any of that. Hudson reads the game much better than Gerrard - how many interceptions does Hudson make a game compared to Gerrard ? I rest my case.

And if Hudson does drop off to play a sweeper type role then pace is going to be even less of an issue as he's playing deeper :?

Ah, and there we go. I totally expected that. "Hull's player of the season." Wow. And Hull were a really good side last season weren't they ! :lol:

Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:10 pm

If another centre-half comes in he'll replace Gerrard not Hudson - I'm pretty sure about that.

You don't give a shit about any of his previous managers ? I'd think Iain Dowie, who led Palace to the Premier League, would have something to say about that.

Palace and Charlton are hardly benchmarks for promotion ? Well both have been in the Premier League and we haven't, while any side who earns promotion to the top flight is a benchmark, seeing we haven't got there yet !

Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:23 pm

Neither Hudson or Gerard are good enough for a championship promotion winning side IMHO . Both are slow and often make costly mistakes.

Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:33 pm

moonmouse wrote:Neither Hudson or Gerard are good enough for a championship promotion winning side IMHO . Both are slow and often make costly mistakes.

Totally agree neither of them are good enough, both too slow, sloppy distribution out of defence, get out muscled and caught out of position way to often , unless new personell brought in at CB this will be our achilles heel all season and we will inevitably leak sloppy goals..