Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

WOULD WOLVES RISK SELLING PLAYER TO CARDIFF CITY NEXT MONTH?

Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:15 pm

Would Wolves selling Ben Marshall to Cardiff City be a huge risk?
By Danny Owen

Friday 15th December 2017

Wolverhampton Wanderers look set to battle Cardiff City for promotion - so why would the Championship leaders let a rival sign one of their players?

It may feel like Wolverhampton Wanderers are running away with the Championship title already but it is worth remembering that Cardiff City are still only four points behind and breathing down their neck.

It goes without saying, then, that Wolves would be taking a risk selling a player to their nearest rivals in the January window – even if he does not seem to be part of Nuno Espirito Santo’s immediate plans at Molineux.

According to the Daily Star (13th December, page 43), Cardiff are interested in signing Ben Marshall in the New Year with the winger out of favour at Wolves.

Neil Warnock manager of Cardiff City celebrates towards the Cardiff fans after the Sky Bet Championship match between Derby County and Cardiff City at the iPro Stadium on February 14, 2017...

Marshall, who only signed back in January from Blackburn Rovers, has started just one Championship game all season and has fallen down the pecking order since Nuno replaced Paul Lambert at the helm.

Though the former Leicester City ace may find game time easier to come by under Neil Warnock at Cardiff – though he would face a challenge muscling the in-form Nathanial Mendez-Lang and Junior Hoilett out of The Bluebirds’ side.

But with Cardiff keeping up the momentum and waiting for any slip ups at the top of the table, surely it makes more sense for Wolves to sell Marshall to fellow suitors Sheffield Wednesday instead.

Wednesday are 15th after all and 21 points adrift – so it’s fair to say they provide much less of a threat to Wolves’ promotion prospects.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: WOULD WOLVES RISK SELLING PLAYER TO CARDIFF CITY NEXT MO

Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:25 am

Cracking player. Can’t see it happening though!

Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:28 am

BrightBlueFuture wrote:Cracking player. Can’t see it happening though!

Possibly not, but Wolves (if their fans are anything to go by) are certainly arrogant enough to think they've got it cracked this season, so selling one of theirs to their nearest competitor wouldn't worry them

Agree, he is a good player and would fit the ethos at the CCS :ayatollah:

Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:51 am

Sven wrote:
BrightBlueFuture wrote:Cracking player. Can’t see it happening though!

Possibly not, but Wolves (if their fans are anything to go by) are certainly arrogant enough to think they've got it cracked this season, so selling one of theirs to their nearest competitor wouldn't worry them

Agree, he is a good player and would fit the ethos at the CCS :ayatollah:

Two things spring to mind here,1st,I think I'm right in saying he's under contract until 2020???so it would need a sizable fee and at least a 3yr contract and second,given I'm right on the first bit with that length of contract is he good enough to have in our prem squad.(if we get there) ;)

Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:52 am

just dont see us committing to any 3 year expensive contracts {which this one would be } this window.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:21 pm

Wolves would probably want us to run away with them beating there rivals

Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:24 pm

Simply won't happen.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:50 pm

Look at Villa giving us Bennett on a free? Crazy and at least that was last year when we were shit. This year Derby letting us have Bryson? Mad.

Mind you they had to create space for Ledley who is a lot better than Bryson.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:02 pm

maccydee wrote:Look at Villa giving us Bennett on a free? Crazy and at least that was last year when we were shit. This year Derby letting us have Bryson? Mad.

is he?

Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:07 pm

It could be a trick to infiltrate us and then he plays really shit so we don't catch them, pass them and watch them fall :occasion5:

Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:10 pm

You been on the Christmas tipple already mate, Ledley better than Bryson, thats like saying Halford is better than Aguero ffs.

paulh_85 wrote:
maccydee wrote:Look at Villa giving us Bennett on a free? Crazy and at least that was last year when we were shit. This year Derby letting us have Bryson? Mad.

is he?

Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:16 pm

1980s Bluebird wrote:You been on the Christmas tipple already mate, Ledley better than Bryson, thats like saying Halford is better than Aguero ffs.

paulh_85 wrote:

is he?

:lol:

Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:22 pm

Weird this, after the Leeds United game I caught up with someone who told me speaking to Warnock a week or so before that game that if we was still in the position we was would he strengthen in January and he said if the funds were there and players were needed that he was a fan of him and Bradley Dack.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:45 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:Weird this, after the Leeds United game I caught up with someone who told me speaking to Warnock a week or so before that game that if we was still in the position we was would he strengthen in January and he said if the funds were there and players were needed that he was a fan of him and Bradley Dack.

Think Ben Marshall would be a great signing and far better option than Feeney has been. Bradley Dack is also a player I think would suit us who covers a lot of ground and plays just behind the striker. His goal scoring record in league 1 has been really impressive for a number of years and he's clearly ready for the championship judging his record at Blackburn this season. The only issue is he only signed for Blackburn in June and paid 750,000 for him so I'm guessing they would want between 1.5m - 2m, which I'm not sure we'll pay.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:10 pm

Bluebird Warrior wrote:
DandoCCFC wrote:Weird this, after the Leeds United game I caught up with someone who told me speaking to Warnock a week or so before that game that if we was still in the position we was would he strengthen in January and he said if the funds were there and players were needed that he was a fan of him and Bradley Dack.

Think Ben Marshall would be a great signing and far better option than Feeney has been. Bradley Dack is also a player I think would suit us who covers a lot of ground and plays just behind the striker. His goal scoring record in league 1 has been really impressive for a number of years and he's clearly ready for the championship judging his record at Blackburn this season. The only issue is he only signed for Blackburn in June and paid 750,000 for him so I'm guessing they would want between 1.5m - 2m, which I'm not sure we'll pay.

I was gutted he didn't say Tom Cairney, can't stress how much we could do with a player of his quality here.

He's a big fan of Bradley Dack, I think he is only 22 or 23 and done really well in league one.

I think been slightly unfair on Feeney, he is a loan player and tried his best here and hasn't done anything wrong but would welcome Marshall on a permanent signing.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:36 pm

:lol: :lol:
they made room for Kieftenbeld only the paperwork went in a couple of minutes late..

Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:42 pm

1980s Bluebird wrote:You been on the Christmas tipple already mate, Ledley better than Bryson, thats like saying Halford is better than Aguero ffs.

paulh_85 wrote:

is he?

Bugger off. Any day of the week and twice on Saturdays is Ledley better than Bryson.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:43 pm

paulh_85 wrote:

is he?

Definitely.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:46 pm

paulh_85 wrote:

is he?

You don't half talk some crap. Ledley is past it, couldn't run to the shops.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:47 pm

maccydee wrote:

paulh_85 wrote:

is he?

Bugger off. Any day of the week and twice on Saturdays is Ledley better than Bryson.

hmm...the Derby manager said he wouldnt have left Bryson go had he known he wouldnt get Kieftenbeld in.....
my reckoning is he rated them..1 KIEFTENBELD...2 BRYSON....3 SOMEBODY ELSE IF THE WINDOW WAS STILL OPEN...4 LEDLEY..?

Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:08 pm

dogfound wrote:
maccydee wrote:

paulh_85 wrote:

is he?

hmm...the Derby manager said he wouldnt have left Bryson go had he known he wouldnt get Kieftenbeld in.....
my reckoning is he rated them..1 KIEFTENBELD...2 BRYSON....3 SOMEBODY ELSE IF THE WINDOW WAS STILL OPEN...4 LEDLEY..?

Was signing Ledley. Bryson was his last choice.

Personally I quite like Bryson.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:17 pm

maccydee wrote:
dogfound wrote:
maccydee wrote:

paulh_85 wrote:

is he?

Was signing Ledley. Bryson was his last choice.

Personally I quite like Bryson.

he signed for Derby 3 weeks after the window closed.. a three month contract { which has since been extended } but if your honest a 3 month contract is what you offer if not sure.?