Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Vincent Tan planning to take legal action "

Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:47 pm

Cardiff City's Vincent Tan: 'Several' agents face legal action over fees

BBC

Wednesday 29th Oct 2014

Cardiff City owner Vincent Tan says he is planning to take legal action against a number of football agents over fees they received for players bought by former manager Malky Mackay.

Mackay, who was sacked in December, denies overspending millions of pounds on players during his time at the club.
In an interview with Reuters, Malaysian billionaire Tan said "several agents" would be taken to court.

"There'll be some court case coming up over this," Tan said.
"I happened to have a manager [Mackay] who I think overspent.
"I think he... overpaid a lot of players, paid the agents too much agent fees."

BBC Sport contacted the club's former head of recruitment, Iain Moody, and Mackay's agent but they were not immediately available to comment.

Re: " Vincent Tan planning to take legal action "

Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:07 pm

Well I wonder what the illegal bit of all this is?

Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:25 pm

I doubt it will amount to much but about time someone took on these agents.

Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:49 am

Backhanders obviously.

Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:37 am

Cardiff owner Vincent Tan vows to take 'several' agents to court over transfer fees
Cardiff owner Vincent Tan feels he overpaid for some players
Billionaire ordered a £750,000 investigation into eight transfers
Former manager Mackay has consistently denied any wrongdoing
By MATT LAWTON FOR THE DAILY MAIL

30//10/2014

Vincent Tan has said he is planning to take legal action ‘several agents’ over the fees they received from transfers completed during Malky Mackay’s tenure as manager of Cardiff City.

Cardiff’s Malaysian billionaire owner ordered a £750,000 investigation into eight transfers after sacking Mackay as his manager last year; an investigation conducted by leading fraud and sports lawyers at London firm Mishcon de Reya and one that uncovered the racist, homophobic and sexist text and email exchanges between Mackay and former head of recruitment Iain Moody.

Vincent Tan feels he overpaid for some players during Malky Mackay’s reign as Cardiff manager

Those details were revealed by Sportsmail in August but the investigation into the transfers is ongoing and Tan is determined to recover the millions he feels he overpaid to bring certain players into the club.
Mackay has consistently denied any wrongdoing. But this newspaper understands that certain agents have been contacted by Mishcon’s team already and, in an interview with Reuters in Malaysia, Tan insisted the matter is not closed.

Former Cardiff manager Malky Mackay has consistently denied any wrongdoing

‘I happened to have a manager who I think overspent,’ he said. ‘I think he...overpaid a lot of players, paid the agents too much agent fees.
‘In fact, we are going to have some court cases against several agents. There'll be some court case coming up over this.’

Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:11 am

Forever Blue wrote:Cardiff City's Vincent Tan: 'Several' agents face legal action over fees

BBC

Wednesday 29th Oct 2014

Cardiff City owner Vincent Tan says he is planning to take legal action against a number of football agents over fees they received for players bought by former manager Malky Mackay.

Mackay, who was sacked in December, denies overspending millions of pounds on players during his time at the club.
In an interview with Reuters, Malaysian billionaire Tan said "several agents" would be taken to court.

BBC Sport contacted the club's former head of recruitment, Iain Moody, and Mackay's agent but they were not immediately available to comment.

The most interesting part of all of this is that last year VT set us on the road to self destruction by telling the world MM HAD overspent the agreed budget by £15m, as a result IM was sacked the YTS painter was appointed Head Of Player Recruitment and we had months of infighting with MM getting emails telling him to resign or be sacked. In my opinion ALL of this completely derailed our season and was at the very core of the reasons we were eventually relegated.

Now 12 months on VT is saying "He thinks our manager overspent". It's simple Vinnie either MM overspent on the agreed budget or he didn't.

Which one is it Mr Tan.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:22 am

castleblue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Cardiff City's Vincent Tan: 'Several' agents face legal action over fees

BBC

Wednesday 29th Oct 2014

The most interesting part of all of this is that last year VT set us on the road to self destruction by telling the world MM HAD overspent the agreed budget by £15m, as a result IM was sacked the YTS painter was appointed Head Of Player Recruitment and we had months of infighting with MM getting emails telling him to resign or be sacked. In my opinion ALL of this completely derailed our season and was at the very core of the reasons we were eventually relegated.

Now 12 months on VT is saying "He thinks our manager overspent". It's simple Vinnie either MM overspent on the agreed budget or he didn't.

Which one is it Mr Tan.

That's not the point here, we know that Malky went over budget, that's well documented, what VT means by overspent, is that the legitimate fee for the player was inflated, the investigation will be into what point the fee was inflated and who exactly benefitted from it? The Agent? Or Malky, Moody and the agent :thumbup:

Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:43 am

Leytonstoneblue wrote:
castleblue wrote:

BBC

Wednesday 29th Oct 2014

Which one is it Mr Tan.

That's not the point here, we know that Malky went over budget, that's well documented, what VT means by overspent, is that the legitimate fee for the player was inflated, the investigation will be into what point the fee was inflated and who exactly benefitted from it? The Agent? Or Malky, Moody and the agent :thumbup:

How do we know MM went over budget :? he has always maintained that never happened. The only person who claimed there was an overspend was VT, and he was absolutely resolute in his opinions on this point. 12 months on and now he only "Thinks" there was an overspend.

A huge difference between opinion i.e. "VT thinks the manager overspent", to VT saying the manager did overspend. That's the point here.

Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:49 am

castleblue wrote:
Leytonstoneblue wrote:
castleblue wrote:

BBC

Wednesday 29th Oct 2014

Which one is it Mr Tan.

How do we know MM went over budget :? he has always maintained that never happened. The only person who claimed there was an overspend was VT, and he was absolutely resolute in his opinions on this point. 12 months on and now he only "Thinks" there was an overspend.

A huge difference between opinion i.e. "VT thinks the manager overspent", to VT saying the manager did overspend. That's the point here.

What is a legitimate fee? Don't think there is any law in how much you have to spend for a player.

Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:00 am

Bakedalasker wrote:
castleblue wrote:
Leytonstoneblue wrote:
castleblue wrote:

BBC

Wednesday 29th Oct 2014

Which one is it Mr Tan.

What is a legitimate fee? Don't think there is any law in how much you have to spend for a player.

Exactly Ian, if Cornelius had scored the goals to keep us in the PL would his fee (and salary?) been worth it. The answer of course is YES, but it didn't work out so he is an easy target. But plenty of managers have spent big money signing and paying players who haven't worked out.

But none of that changes the main point here, did MM overspend his agreed budget by £15m last summer. :? I've only ever seen claims by VT that he did, but nothing documented to back those claims up.

Last year VT decided to derail our season over this allegation, but a year on he now only "Thinks" the manager overspent. Just goes to show how loose a canon this guy is.

Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:31 pm

An interesting point here is that FIFA will be changing the licencing rules for agents next year.

According to the FA website the licences of all present agents will be revoked and new applications must be made.

If a present agent has a Court action against him I can imagine, in some instances, this may cause an issue re obtaining a further licence.

Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:11 pm

castleblue wrote:
Leytonstoneblue wrote:
castleblue wrote:

BBC

Wednesday 29th Oct 2014

Which one is it Mr Tan.

You keep missing the point, VT is not referring to the overspend in terms of going over the set budget, he is applying it to 7 transfers, that he believes the fees involved were hiked up in some way. Hypothetically this may mean that an agent has taken more from the overall fee than was originally agreed, meaning that the receiving club received less, it may even mean that those brokering the deal at Cardiff benefitted financially in some way. Again hypothetically, let's say that VT gave Moody and Malky carte Blanche to value every player and VT trusted their judgement, then later on he gets to hear from others involved in football that the fees paid were totally inflated, what if he was even shown evidence that some players were offered at far less? Suddenly, VT starts questioning why and where the money actually went. He then finds that the club the player came from didn't receive it, so the agent did, he then asks why should that be? No doubt that the investigation will find any irregularities, so we will have to wait and see :thumbup:

Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:22 pm

Leytonstoneblue wrote:
castleblue wrote:
Leytonstoneblue wrote:
castleblue wrote:

BBC

Wednesday 29th Oct 2014

Which one is it Mr Tan.

You keep missing the point, VT is not referring to the overspend in terms of going over the set budget, he is applying it to 7 transfers, that he believes the fees involved were hiked up in some way. Hypothetically this may mean that an agent has taken more from the overall fee than was originally agreed, meaning that the receiving club received less, it may even mean that those brokering the deal at Cardiff benefitted financially in some way. Again hypothetically, let's say that VT gave Moody and Malky carte Blanche to value every player and VT trusted their judgement, then later on he gets to hear from others involved in football that the fees paid were totally inflated, what if he was even shown evidence that some players were offered at far less? Suddenly, VT starts questioning why and where the money actually went. He then finds that the club the player came from didn't receive it, so the agent did, he then asks why should that be? No doubt that the investigation will find any irregularities, so we will have to wait and see :thumbup:

Last year VT claimed that MM & IM overspent on the agreed transfer budget by £15m something that MM has always denied. It has been a point of lots of discussion about who was telling the truth and right now, in my opinion, it was MM.

Your point regarding agents taking more than the selling clubs could not have happened in the case of the Cornelius and Medal transfers because both were signed from foriegn clubs. In both these cases ALL payments to the selling club and agents WILL have been made via the FA who would only pay the sums agreed in the transfer documentation. So in both those cases VT doesn't have to wonder where the money went he only has to read the transfer documentation or ask the FA.

As regards Caulker I WILL never believe that Daniel Levy would allow Spurs lose out to an agent on that transfer and neither would Spurs be involved in any shady transfer deal.

As regards any investigation we have been down this road with VT before, Langston and the Forensic Accountants spring to mind, lots of claims of wrongdoing but nothing ever established and he ended up paying.

At the end of the day it's all about opinions and if the FA were taking action then maybe some wrongdoing has taken place but with VT saying he is going to take court action suggests to me the FA are happy with the paperwork and payments.

Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:56 pm

It's good Tan is taking the agents on, they are bad for the game IMO, let's see what comes from it before we comment, he might well be proved right who knows ???