Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Is our rivalry with Swansea dying?. "

Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:39 am

Even last year when we were in the same league, the games were quite meh and drab.

When we won at home, the games against United and City had better atmospheres. The 3 nil drubbing at Swansea was quite shit, no edge to it at all. There must have been a fair bit of taunting in the ground, but there was no real shock and no one made that much of a fuss, it was expected. Just average derby games.

Cardiff Swansea used to have a reputation around Britain, building up to the first game last year it was hyped up as a 'battle'. Then the game was played and people saw it to be quite average. I think we've been taken over by plenty of other derby's.

I now don't even care if they do well. They can carry on and stay in the league for all I care. I've lost quite a bit of interest in the whole thing. Ive noticed we sing next to no anti Jack songs at home games aswell. Anyone else think our rivalry is going soft?. Personally I'd much rather give Bristol City a hammering.

Re: Is our rivalry with Swansea dying?.

Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:02 am

I think the phrase of keeping our own shop in order probably rings true here. We have had to deal with so many issues on the home front that any rivalry with another club has taken second priority. On Swansea's half, they are a division above us, looking to achieve their own aims and probably don't feel the need to really concern themselves with us.

Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:09 am

Its still there for me and nothing would please me more than to see them relegated from the Prem.Also theres more and more Jacks popping up where im from which keeps the rivarly going. As for the atomasphere i think its due to people being nervous about the game as with the manchester games we didnt expect anything.

Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:12 am

I don't think it's dying, the rivalry is still clearly there, otherwise we wouldn't have the Jacks constantly talking about us and vice versa. What's changed since the Championship derbies is that they've gone on and done very well on the football pitch, whilst we've become a laughing stock off the pitch, and giving the Jacks always something to laugh about.

I think once we're back on level terms again, on and off the pitch, then the rivalry will be back to the way it was. Because let's be honest, we've got a lot more to think about at the moment than the Jacks.

Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:20 am

It's never real unless your in the same league I think. Things change so quick I recall them saying they were light years in front of us but within 6 months we were turning them over at home in the premier league. Steady progress is what's needed not jump start like us and qpr do. The atmosphere was alright 2nd half last season, as we saw the jacks bottle go it git more intense and they just rolled over with little fight something waddle and a few others commented on here, some stayed away for weeks after. The premier league is just a money pit, it comes in and all goes out on the wages you need to pay to sustain it, which is a joke to be honest. It will no doubt be the same again if we go up. There will never be the intensity like at the vetch or at ninian, it's gone forever with the terraces which is sad in some ways.

Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:27 am

I don't think its as strong as the media made out. This is not a century old rivalry like some, Its not about religion or stealing turf. Ours was born out of football violence from the 80's.

Bristol City was my real rivalry, county and the jacks were an equall second. I think the Jacks play it up more as they are perched on the arse end (a beautifull part of the world though ;) ) of the football map. Its a bit like Wales/England. In truth the English barely think that little old Wales are a rival, whereas the jocks are.

Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:40 am

No.

Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:48 pm

goats wrote:It's never real unless your in the same league I think. Things change so quick I recall them saying they were light years in front of us but within 6 months we were turning them over at home in the premier league. Steady progress is what's needed not jump start like us and qpr do. The atmosphere was alright 2nd half last season, as we saw the jacks bottle go it git more intense and they just rolled over with little fight something waddle and a few others commented on here, some stayed away for weeks after. The premier league is just a money pit, it comes in and all goes out on the wages you need to pay to sustain it, which is a joke to be honest. It will no doubt be the same again if we go up. There will never be the intensity like at the vetch or at ninian, it's gone forever with the terraces which is sad in some ways.

We beat Man City too, doesn't mean we were on par with them as a club. They ARE light years ahead of us as far as im concerned and I think that is the problem on our end, they aren't even on our radar at the moment. Whether we beat them once is not really of any consequence in the great scheme of things. With all thats gone on at the City in the last decade its hamstrung us and i don't ever expect to be on a par with them again in my lifetime, the Premier League money is seeing to that as well which is frustrating. It was a perfect time for us to be promoted and the most horrific time to be relegated. We need to get back up this year or im afraid we will be falling behind clubs in the championship let alone the Prem.

Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:34 pm

I don't think it's imperative we go up this year at all. You could say that about 10 or so clubs. What then? Throw all the sky money straight out the door on wages, where does that get you. Malky almost got it right, he didn't get the right strikers in though and that's crucial. I doubt we will make it this year, more likely next. Then we might have some stability too. I used think clubs like sheff weds, Bolton and Leeds were nailed on premier league clubs, there not though.

Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:51 pm

Depends if you call them rivals? Always been Bristol for me. Yes like to respond to them on here but that's it! Thet are An irrelevance same as any other team , my only concern is ccfc, swans can be in conference south div 9 or champ league be same just an irrelevance. :thumbup:

Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:56 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Depends if you call them rivals? Always been Bristol for me. Yes like to respond to them on here but that's it! Thet are An irrelevance same as any other team , my only concern is ccfc, swans can be in conference south div 9 or champ league be same just an irrelevance. :thumbup:

Our rivalry with Bristol City died a long time ago

Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:29 pm

JonCCFC wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:Depends if you call them rivals? Always been Bristol for me. Yes like to respond to them on here but that's it! Thet are An irrelevance same as any other team , my only concern is ccfc, swans can be in conference south div 9 or champ league be same just an irrelevance. :thumbup:

yes maybe so but when we play them the rivalry is far more intense than Swansea! but as far as I am concerned they are more of rival than swans bearing in mind I was brought up on such rivalries with Bristol swans wasn't anywhere to be seen in my day, so maybe its an age thing as we discussed previously on here! :thumbup:

Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:33 pm

JonCCFC wrote:

its never been a massive rivalry since ive been watching them always swansea as main derby, but saying that im only 25 so older generation will have different opinion in quess.

Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:42 pm

Gaffer wrote:
JonCCFC wrote:

its never been a massive rivalry since ive been watching them always swansea as main derby, but saying that im only 25 so older generation will have different opinion in quess.

yes got extra 23yrs than you, believe me Bristol v city in late 70s early 80s far more intense than swans of recent times :laughing6: one game 160 arrested!! :thumbup:

Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:04 pm

I think the OP needs to grow up a bit!

We have a few more problems at Cardiff than worrying about whether we sing songs about Swansea at our games when we are not playing them, and not even in the same League as them.

Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:25 pm

Gaffer wrote:Its still there for me and nothing would please me more than to see them relegated from the Prem.Also theres more and more Jacks popping up where im from which keeps the rivarly going. As for the atomasphere i think its due to people being nervous about the game as with the manchester games we didnt expect anything.

Spot on :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:34 pm

goats wrote:I don't think it's imperative we go up this year at all. You could say that about 10 or so clubs. What then? Throw all the sky money straight out the door on wages, where does that get you. Malky almost got it right, he didn't get the right strikers in though and that's crucial. I doubt we will make it this year, more likely next. Then we might have some stability too. I used think clubs like sheff weds, Bolton and Leeds were nailed on premier league clubs, there not though.

I don't think any other club's business model relies on instant promotion like ours is. We are so unsustainable it isn't even remotely funny. If we don't go up this year then we must cut back, tan isnt stupid and im sure he will know this. Next year we wont be the big fish anymore, we will have a new set of 3 Premier drop outs ready to splash their Premier money to get back up there. Make no mistake, every year we fail to go up, the harder it will be to do it and the further behind we fall. If we want stability if promoted then we need a stable club, which is something i don't think we can ever have under tan.

Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:09 pm

The rivalry isn't dying, far from it! The reason you don't read about it or feel it at games is simply the fact we are in different divisions.

I don't agree that the derby games were lacking atmosphere. The first one was very tense both on and off the pitch, which shut up both sets of fans (until Caulker's brilliantly timed winner!!!). The second game just felt flat because of the way the scoreline developed. I seem to remember plenty of Jacks squawking on Twitter and fb so they obviously enjoyed the experience.

I do think that the swaaaans are less relevant to City because we have other fish to fry. Some say they'd like Cardiff promoted and the jaxx demoted. I disagree. The next time 2 league Derby games happen, the atmos will be very special!!!!

:bluescarf:

Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:54 pm

There's not the aggression any more. The hatred just isn't the same, our fan base has changed a lot resulting in it become more tame and less based around violence. Few years ago there were hundreds of city fans waiting out side ninian park for Swansea to come out. Now it's all 'banter''. Some say for better some say for worse but it's certainly changed. Personally I hate the kunts always will

Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:56 pm

Bluetwin wrote:I think the OP needs to grow up a bit!

We have a few more problems at Cardiff than worrying about whether we sing songs about Swansea at our games when we are not playing them, and not even in the same League as them.

Grow up? He's just making a point and a valid one I think

Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:17 pm

JonCCFC wrote:

The rivalry with Bristol hasnt died, just not what it was.

Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:21 pm

I will always hate the Jack Bastards, growing up in Port Talbot I have been through school and work life, I take great satisfaction on weekends like the last where Cardiff win and Swan Z lose. I went Aston Court when Andy Cole scored a hat trick before I even got in because the ructions outside with the Wurzels so I hate them carrot crunchers too. But I admit with so many plastic jerks around these days seeing someone wearing in PT doesn't make my blood boil anymore, they are good team.I think Slade has the minerals to get at least in the mix for the play offs, and might get third time lucky? The Wurzels look like they might go up atm, the wheels might come off for Gary Monk in his difficult full season ahead, and just maybe we could all end up in the Championship for double derbys, football is a funny old game anything may happen by the end of this season. BLUE ARMY

Re: " Is our rivalry with Swansea dying?. "

Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:03 pm

I think the rivalry is still there but the edge has gone. I can only speak for myself but the rivalry was born from a time for me when the terraces and the surrounding areas was place that really mattered. Yes, the result was important but so was territory. That does not matter to me anymore as I've moved on and I'm quite happy to indulge in banter with Jacks and whilst the last time we lost hurt like hell for a very little while, other more important issues soon took over and it soon did not matter.

For what its worth I no longer wish Swansea to lose/fail although I do/would have little chuckle to myself. I'm now more interested in seeing Wales qualify for a major tournament and the more successful any Welsh teams are, the more the chances of that increase imo.

Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:09 pm

I agree it has. It was always home or away Blue V White and Black. Us in red both games just wasn't right. It affected the atmo in both. The Jacks away there fans was quality the noise they made. But us that was different. We don't have any passion any more.

Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:10 am

I just think we've outgrown them, not in footballing terms but as fans, they would just some on places like this and act like complete knobs and we all just got tired of the same crap from them and learned to ignore it.

without hooliganism, old heads leaving because of the rebrand and otherwise growing up and lack of local players there just isn't the raw hate from us anymore, we don't really care.

Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:20 am

BanterLad115 wrote:I just think we've outgrown them, not in footballing terms but as fans, they would just some on places like this and act like complete knobs and we all just got tired of the same crap from them and learned to ignore it.

without hooliganism, old heads leaving because of the rebrand and otherwise growing up and lack of local players there just isn't the raw hate from us anymore, we don't really care.

This is what I think has happened aswell. Reading the swansea forum no one can mention cardiff without someone shouting "Scum! Scum!!!!" and the rest, within 3 seconds of it being posted.

No chance would a Cardiff fan be allowed on their forum for any length of time, when alot of Jacks were on here for ages.

Maybe it is because they are on top and get all defensive when our name is mentioned. Worried as they know it won't last forever.

Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:48 am

I have a few old and new school jack work collegues. The old school actually prefer to talk football to me, rather than the newbies. In my experiance its the newbies that act the cocks and make me want them to go down. The old school are still laughing inside they are in the premier league, but don't give it the jonny bog bollox stuff, as they know the time will come when they go down and then back to 12K crowds.

Banning orders and "good" policing have thrown cold water on our rivalry.

Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:50 am

As someone who's seen many, many Swansea derby's over a long period of time in my opinion the rivalry Is definitely no where near as strong as it used to be.
The passion & intenseness is not there - ON & off the the pitch.
The main reason for this is just the way our fan base has gone in the days of modern football. I'm not saying we haven't got any passionate fans, we have, but the hatred etc. is not as intense.

Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:59 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:As someone who's seen many, many Swansea derby's over a long period of time in my opinion the rivalry Is definitely no where near as strong as it used to be.
The main reason for this is just the way our fan base has gone in the days of modern football. I'm not saying we haven't got any passionate fans, we have, but the hatred etc. is not as intense.

The games against Ipswich and Forest are the first games in a long time I think our fans properly took the piss out of the away fans. Even the way the songs were sung, they had alot more to them than in the past few months.

Our intimidating atmosphere will be back I think, we only need something to cheer about. If we beat Millwall, Leeds will be rocking.

Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:11 pm

Depressed Blue wrote:
OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:As someone who's seen many, many Swansea derby's over a long period of time in my opinion the rivalry Is definitely no where near as strong as it used to be.

The games against Ipswich and Forest are the first games in a long time I think our fans properly took the piss out of the away fans. Even the way the songs were sung, they had alot more to them than in the past few months.

Our intimidating atmosphere will be back I think, we only need something to cheer about. If we beat Millwall, Leeds will be rocking.

Yeah when we return to blue it will help. well get alot of vocal fans back